Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mac_fanboy

Finally free from windows, I will share my story.

17 posts in this topic

Okay, here's my story. I've been a windows user since I was five, and now that I'm thirteen, that's abot eight years too long. I have been plagued by viruses, pop ups, spam, and the like. I had enough. So back in April, I decided to save for an iBook (now MacBook). So I worked my @$$ off, and it was way worth it. I ordered my MacBook last Thursday and I got it in the mail Tuesday. I love this notebook to death. It is so fast and chock full of features, it makes my head spin. I love the dock and dashboard. (And Expose is a lifesaver.) I actually think that the finder is MUCH better than windows expolrer. You may disagree, but that's just me. Garageband is great fun, so is iMovie, iPhoto, and Photobooth. I've downloaded all of the basics (Quicksilver, AdiumX, Stuffit Expander, Mactracker, Gimp, Google Earth, Camino, ect.) So I guess that's it.

(Oh, by the way, the Maccast has been very important to me. Keep up the great work, Adam!)

Austin

welcome i hope your mac brings u as much joy as mine as brought me.

Welcome to the community. I've recently switched to the Mac about 2 months ago. I got a macbook as well and this thing is awesome. Now spread the word and convert the world!!!! MUA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA!!!!!!

The thing that amazed me when I first switched to the Mac (May 2005), is the huge amount of great third party software out there (much of it, freeware). I thought this was an area that the Windows platform had all sewed up. (Boy, was I wrong!)

The thing that amazed me when I first switched to the Mac (May 2005), is the huge amount of great third party software out there (much of it, freeware). I thought this was an area that the Windows platform had all sewed up. (Boy, was I wrong!)

All of the people I have talked to recently that ignored my advice and bought a PC instead of a mac later told me it was because of lack of software. It blows my mind though. There is almost always a free solution for just about everything you need to do on a mac. I could run entirely opensource/free software except for Adobe Creative Suite and I would not be wanting of anything. It's so awesome.

Exactly you can accomplish nearly everything for free on the mac, thats one of the most common misconseptions which PC users have, its crazy.

Exactly you can accomplish nearly everything for free on the mac, thats one of the most common misconseptions which PC users have, its crazy.

The great thing is not only will it be free but it will look nice and work well. Lots of free PC stuff barely works and looks awful.

well i'm just going to say that i'm 14 and its nice to see someone whose not left school yet! anyway i got a MacBook for Christmas and love it to bits, all the features you said and more, Adium... Photoshop CS2... teamspeak... the Mac halo Demo...the Sim's etc. though my family has got mac's for a while, my grandma's got a old G3 Mac OS 9! its a BOX! now thats old.

So back in April, I decided to save for an iBook (now MacBook). So I worked my @$$ off, and it was way worth it. I ordered my MacBook last Thursday and I got it in the mail Tuesday.

Wow, what a dedication! I wished more 13 years old people were so dedicated. Anyway, congratulations with your new MacBook. Without those virusses and spyware you can finally enjoy computing as it was meant to be. I guess you're as thrilled with your computer as I was when I bought my first Commodore 64 in the early 1980s. How much has changed in those 25 years, and for the better.

Have you already decided what you want to do with your MacBook? Perhaps something creative (music, video), or something intellectual (programming)?

Wow, what a dedication! I wished more 13 years old people were so dedicated. Anyway, congratulations with your new MacBook. Without those virusses and spyware you can finally enjoy computing as it was meant to be. I guess you're as thrilled with your computer as I was when I bought my first Commodore 64 in the early 1980s. How much has changed in those 25 years, and for the better.

Have you already decided what you want to do with your MacBook? Perhaps something creative (music, video), or something intellectual (programming)?

Well in the 6+ months that I have owned this beast, I still haven't decided what I'm doing because I AM BROKE! Buying my macbook gutted my bank account completely. I usually try to stay diverse in the things I do, so I may do some things in applescript but I will probably do some recording in Garageband with my bass guitar and if I get a camcorder some editing in iMovie. But for now, I'm just sitting here waiting for school to let out :-(.

Edited by mac_fanboy

It is always great seeing a windows user coming to the mac, I've always used macs and they are great. I hope that you enjoy your new macbook forever and may it bring you joy ;)

The great thing is not only will it be free but it will look nice and work well. Lots of free PC stuff barely works and looks awful.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I can't believe myself how much good free software is available for the Mac. Let's see all the free software I have... (An <R> indicates programs that I know are partially restricted in their free versions - let me know if I missed any.)

AbiWord

Alarm Clock

AppDelete

Audacity

Aurora

Backdrop

Bean

Blender

Burn

Caffeine

Camino

Camouflage

Carbon Copy Cloner

Celestia

Celtx

Cheese

Chicken of the VNC

Darwine

Deeper

Desktop Curtain

Disk Inventory X

Dock Library

DrawBerry

ffmpegX

File Actions

File List

FinkCommander

Firefox

Flip4Mac

Fluid

Folding@Home

FreeMind

gDisk

Gimp

Google Earth

GrandPerspective

Growl

HandBrake

HuginOSX

HyperEngine-AV

Icarus

IceClean

iGTD2

img2icns

Inkscape

iProcrastinate

iSquint

iStat Menus

iStat Pro

Jahshaka

Jing

JollysFastVNC

Joost

Jumpcut

LineIn

Lingon

LiquidCD

LiveQuartz

MacTheRipper

Maintenance

Maintenance 3.8

MAMP

Metadata Hootenanny

MindNode

Minuteur

NeoOffice

Norrkross MorphX

Onyx

PagePacker

Paparazzi!

Perian

Psst

Q

Quicksilver

Recherche

RsyncX

Scribus

SeaMonkey

Seashore

Señor Staff

Senuti

Service Scrubber

SimplyBurns

SiteSucker

SketchUp

Smell-O-Mints

Soundflower

Stellarium

Stuffit

SuperDuper! <R>

Switch

TextWrangler

The Unarchiver

Thunderbird

TimeMachineEditor

Transmission

TrueCrypt

TubeTV

Vidalia

VLC

WaterRoof

Windows Media Player

xPad

I think I'm about set for anything I need to do!

Edited by macfan777

Hmm, some of that isn't really free, but rather shareware you've chosen not to pay for (which is fair enough). A subtle difference. Free implies they don't care if you pay or not, shareware devs really would like you to help pay their bills in exchange for their awesome software.

Well, that's true, but I'm not trying to make a distinction here, I'm just listing all the software I have that you can use for free. I'm not talking about something like finding a way around ScreenFlow's watermark (Which I partially did using AfterEffects), I'm talking software that can be used by an end user without having to pay for it, with few or no limitations.

If there any that you notice that have limitations or something, let me know and I'll check them and make a note. (I didn't feel like double-checking everything about every program, and some of them I haven't used in a while!)

Just quickly looking at it, SuperDuper is very restricted in the free version. There's no smart updating, no scheduling of backups.