• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Polymira

Polymira

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:35 PM

Alright, so this morning at work, I closed my macbook at work, and put it in my bag (uber padded swiss army bag)

Tonight, I open it up, and find the spacebar key is acting quite strangly. You press it, and there is no tactile feedback whatsoever that the key was pressed, and it takes a hard press to get it to respond.

I bought it from the apple store online, but if I take it to an apple store (closest is 90 miles away), will they do something for me?

i can't go without this laptop for more then a day, I use it for work and school...

#2 Daniel Elessedil Kjeserud

Daniel Elessedil Kjeserud

Meta Mac Geek

• Administrators
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

Try blowing some compressed air under it. Lift it gently to see why it's stuck. If you can't see anything obvious then take it in to your closest Apple Store, or call Apple Support.

#3 Polymira

Polymira

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:20 AM

I've tried air, and i can't see anything in there =/

This is just odd...

I'm going to take it to my closest apple store tomorrow, too bad it isn't very close.

#4 Polymira

Polymira

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:38 AM

Okay, so I took it in to the apple store almost to put turned away due to the fact that they were booked (I called ahead, and was told if i came in, they would fix it, i may just have to wait). But after some arguing they had me take my macbook out of my bag in the middle of the store and took it into the back. 2 min later a "genious" game out and handed me my macbook, says all he did was pop off the key and remove some "gunk"...

NOW, the space bar gets "hung up", like plastic rubbing plastic, and sometimes the right side won't go all the way down, until you either push harder then you should have to, or kinda jiggle it a bit, then you hear a "pop" or something of the sort, as the plastic kind of "breaks free"

I don't like it, I'm a writer, and the keyboard on my laptop is the #1 most important thing for me. But I don't like the idea of driving down 90 miles to Sacramento from where I live to have them just muck something else up...

Anyone know how to safely remove the spacebar so I can have a look myself? AND, now that i'm really typing on this thing, the right side of the spacebar (which i use most), doesn't actually press down fully! Like something HARD is keeping it from doing so, it doesn't keep the keypress from taking, but it makes it feel comepletely wrong...

I want to pop it out, see if it's something I can do, and if the guy at the apple store screwed it up, I want some form of compinsation, as driving down there again costs me more money, and more time, all for something that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks guys

*edit*

Okay, it looks like it's a mechanical thing for sure, i've never had good luck with apple when it comes to fixing messed up products. I had an ipod i sent in two times with a dead hard drive, and they sent it back saying it was fine... When I tried to send it in again, applecare had run out....

So i don't know what to do. I got this thing 3 days before xmas. And now it doesn't even feel comfortable to type on, i'm afraid to send it in, because it will come back the same because the key "works"... but i don't want to drive 90 miles just to have them not be able to fix it..

suggestions?

Edited by Polymira, 07 January 2007 - 03:44 AM.

#5 Polymira

Polymira

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:20 AM

You can at least hear what I'm talking about.

And it just doesn't feel right... only looking for advice now. As I believe when the guy at the apple store popped my key out, he mucked something up, possibly because he was in such a hurry.

Edited by Polymira, 07 January 2007 - 04:22 AM.

#6 Graham

Graham

Mac Geek God

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  • Twitter:grahamgilbert

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:50 AM

It's broken, take it back and get a new keyboard.

#7 joe28753

joe28753

Alpha Mac Geek

• Administrators
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

It's broken, take it back and get a new keyboard.

even thought the macbook keyboard looks really slick, i believe replacing the macbook keyboard means replacing the entire top case. oops apple. oh well, thank you applecare.

#8 Polymira

Polymira

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

even thought the macbook keyboard looks really slick, i believe replacing the macbook keyboard means replacing the entire top case. oops apple. oh well, thank you applecare.

Nah, it should just mean popping off the case part, and replacing the keyboard.

#9 joe28753

joe28753

Alpha Mac Geek

• Administrators
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

ok thanks for the correction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users