groomsy57

DVD Conversion

19 posts in this topic

Hello. I am looking for some software to convert England's DVD standards to the U.S.'s. My roommate and I came across The Mighty Boosh somehow, and now we want to get the series without watching it online (the youtube quality gets on our nerves). The DVD's are for sale, but only in the Region 2, PAL standard. We need to get Region 1, NTSC standard. Is there a piece of software that anyone can recommend to complete this conversion? Or are there any other tips that someone may have for me? Thanks in advance.

Get a multiregion DVD player. I got one for about £30.

Do you think the Pal Vs. NTSC thing will be a problem? I understand a multi-region player, but I am not too savvy when it comes to the PAL format vs. NTSC.

Do you think the Pal Vs. NTSC thing will be a problem? I understand a multi-region player, but I am not too savvy when it comes to the PAL format vs. NTSC.

Shouldn't be - players can play NTSC and PAL (my domestic player happily plays both) - key thing is getting a drive that you can set as region free.

www.videohelp.com is very helpful to tell you how to make pretty much any player (and perhaps your existing one) multi region

This is all based on a stand alone player rather than tyring to reflash the firmware in your Mac which I have no idea as to whether that is viable

You can use Mactheripper to strip the region from the dvd and then burn it again, not sure about the PAL and NTSC thing though.

You can use Mactheripper to strip the region from the dvd and then burn it again, not sure about the PAL and NTSC thing though.

I believe that MTR will only strip the region code out if it can read the disk in the first place. If it's a R2 disk and you play it in an R1 Mac it will ask you if you want to change the region code of the player - you can only do this 5 times then it's fixed at whichever region you end up with. So yes you can but there are limitations.

Of course you could always have two Macs - one permanently set at R1 & one at R2 ;-)

"MacTheRipper sets the disc's region code to '0' for region-free by default. You do not need to play the DVD with DVD Player in order to rip it to your hard drive."

Id say you wouldnt have to change the region of your drive in order to rip it.

Thanks guys. I will just go ahead and purchase the DVD's and I will post with my story of success or failure after I get it. I think it would be easier to try it in a multi-region DVD player. That will most likely be the route I take. I will also try ripping the discs with MTR to make them region-free as well to see if that would work. Thanks for the suggestions.

"MacTheRipper sets the disc's region code to '0' for region-free by default. You do not need to play the DVD with DVD Player in order to rip it to your hard drive."

Id say you wouldnt have to change the region of your drive in order to rip it.

I agree that you don't need to play it with a DVD player but when I stick a 'alternate region' disk (with no application defaulted to play disks) in and start up MTR it still prompts the region code change (or rather triggers the mac region code change) - is it just me?

AFAIK it wont change the region on your drive, but it still needs to know what region the disk is so that it can change it to 0

I just heard this topic on Leo Laporte's Tech Guy podcast and he advised the guy to buy a hardware device. If I could figure out how to comment on that specific item on his Show Notes, I would because I think it's likely an unnecessary expense.

I have my Mac set to "Do Nothing" when inserting a DVD (This is done in System Preferences - CDs and DVDs).

If I want to watch a Region 2 DVD, I just use VLC (or, one of my Region Free DVD players).

If I want to change it to Region Free, I convert it with MTR (Mac the Ripper, in case you didn't read the first part of this thread).

If I want to burn that converted content, I use Visual Hub.

I have really had no problems doing any of those things (including my machines asking about resetting the region - it doesn't)

Depends who you ask, and what country you're in. It's highly unlikely anything bad will happen anyway if you're just ripping for personal use.

Any progress on just converting PAL discs to NTSC without changing menu structure, etc.? I think that's just about the only thing left to figure out how to do.