Distorted Loop

A Switcher tries to FAX

2 posts in this topic

My first "switcher story."

I've had a MacBook Pro for about 9 months to replace my old XP based laptop. My main desktop machine had continued to be Windows XP based, unitl a couple of weeks ago when it crashed and there was no way of saving the OS without a clean install. I figured at that point, might as well get a new desktop, and picked up a Mac Pro, which I am absolutely loving.

Here's the switcher tale -

I needed to send a FAX from my desktop. I'd not bothered hooking up my old USR 56k Fax/Voice/Speakerphone modem (USB type) to the Mac Pro yet, so I hooked it up, and true to Windows user mentality, starting scouring the internet for drivers for the thing. I found drivers I thought might work, and tried to figure out how to install them. Drove me crazy for almost thirty minutes because I couldn't figure out how. Finally, about to give up in frustration, I tried just printing my document as a "PDF to fax," and lo and behold, it worked. It just plain worked on its own. No drivers required, no installation hassles. I could have just plugged in the modem and faxed. Why did I have to try to make it complicated - oh, yeah, because I have 20 years of using Windows instlled in me, and NOTHING just works in Windows.

Why do I love my new Macs? Because things just work, right out of the box...they really just work.

:rolleyes:

My first "switcher story."

I've had a MacBook Pro for about 9 months to replace my old XP based laptop. My main desktop machine had continued to be Windows XP based, unitl a couple of weeks ago when it crashed and there was no way of saving the OS without a clean install. I figured at that point, might as well get a new desktop, and picked up a Mac Pro, which I am absolutely loving.

Here's the switcher tale -

I needed to send a FAX from my desktop. I'd not bothered hooking up my old USR 56k Fax/Voice/Speakerphone modem (USB type) to the Mac Pro yet, so I hooked it up, and true to Windows user mentality, starting scouring the internet for drivers for the thing. I found drivers I thought might work, and tried to figure out how to install them. Drove me crazy for almost thirty minutes because I couldn't figure out how. Finally, about to give up in frustration, I tried just printing my document as a "PDF to fax," and lo and behold, it worked. It just plain worked on its own. No drivers required, no installation hassles. I could have just plugged in the modem and faxed. Why did I have to try to make it complicated - oh, yeah, because I have 20 years of using Windows instlled in me, and NOTHING just works in Windows.

Why do I love my new Macs? Because things just work, right out of the box...they really just work.

:rolleyes:

So you did have to use your modem, you just didn't need any drivers?