ramtha

Great story from a new to Mac user

7 posts in this topic

A friend of mine stayed in touch with a few of his university pals, despite them all being spread around the country.

A couple of weeks back we met up for a beer and he brought one of them out with him, Gaz - who's Dad, a senior tech support for a big local chemical company, tagged along for the crack.

We where chatting the night away and the subject of computers inevitably came up. Being that when they where students my mate Matt and Gaz studied graphic design, at the time they naturally used Macs, but Gaz - since slipping into the real world of work - had been using PCs, but was looking to get back to a real computer.

Gaz's Dad, Brian, immediately piped up all the usual crap about how pixies from the bottom of the garden come round your house and steel your children when you use "one of those Mac things" - Myself and Matt didn't really have to say much, save for the usual, "Well you would say that, in your world computers are frightening" and that one about being able to run Linux and Windows in a virtual machine alongside OS X - all for the want of a copy of Parallels.

Fast forward a few weeks to last night. Me and Matt hooked up to watch the Newcastle United match down the pub. Turns out he got a phone call from Gaz a couple of nights after our conversation with his Dad. When they got home Gaz showed his Dad Apple.com and all the things which have happened in the Mac world since system 7 - his Dad's last experience of Mac OS.

Get this - Apparently Gaz's Dad was so impressed with Parallels, not only did he order a Mac Book for himself but he bought Gaz an iMac as well - and now he wants to propose that everyone in his department gets a Mac because, quote, "It makes Windows look like a dangerous Christmas toy".

I've never been so impressed with a switcher story as this, because I can't help feeling largely responsible. I think he must have heard the words coming out of his own mouth, when he tried to argue Windows was the way to go and genuinely had a road to Damascus moment.

"Without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

I run into that a lot actually. Many people who really dislike macs have never used OSX.

Some people hate macs without any experience what so ever?

Some people hate macs without any experience what so ever?

Well there is that but what I actually meant is that people who used OS9 or OS8 hate macs and have never used OSX.

I know this thread is kind of old, but that's an amazing story...I wish all my friends put down their awful Windows XP machines and switched over to the Mac as well...

> I run into that a lot actually. Many people who really dislike macs have never used OSX.

same thing with e-books. people who say they can't stand to read on the screen have never actually read an entire "book" in E.