Dragon6

I made the switch and lived to blog about it.

10 posts in this topic

I used to be a hard core PC user but had become increasingly dissatisfied with PCs and Windows. I, like many, was getting sick of constant updates that crashed the computer, vendors and Microsoft pointing fingers when hardware/software didn't get along, etc. But, like so many, I was heavily invested in PCs and used to being treated like crap for so long that I didn't think about my alternatives until the final straws!

WMP10 "Plays for Sure" Players that didn't play - especially after WMP11.

Last year, I bought MP3 players for myself and my teenage daughter and signed up with Napster-to-Go service. I found this service to be less than stable and predictable. WMP10 and our players were less than stable often requiring restores, etc. Very frustrating, expecially when I was on a business trip and mine or my daughters failed. Shortly after our purchase, Microsoft updated to WMP11 and our WMP10 "Plays for Sure" MP3 players no longer played. The vendors stopped supporting them - no new firmware and no plans to update these players but feel free to buy our new ones that are guaranteed to play until the next update. Well, that was all I needed to start thinking about something else. I travel a lot and saw all these people with iPods and started to think maybe I should give it a try.

PCs and Vista, need I say more?

My ~ 5 year old HP was on life support. Forget that I had an optical drive fail the first week I bought the thing - which HP would not replace unless I shipped the entire computer back - with my personal data on it - because they didn't think I was competent enough to swap it out myself. Well I started to think about what I would replace it with. Customer service in the PC industry has gotten worse and I was not inclined to try again - even Dell is just a shell of what it used to be.

I thought about building my own but that would cost thousands to get 4 - 5 years out of it - hard corps gamer. But wait, gaming consoles are getting to be pretty good and a lot cheaper and their software works with the hardware so why invest that much? Goodbye DirectX and graphics card upgrades!

Then I heard about Vista. It was going to come in 5 or 6 versions for several hundreds of dollars. I was not jazzed about dealing with a new OS. Oh, and games were going to start being made for Vista only. Well I did some research on Macs and their OS and found that people were happy. The systems just worked and were stable and that, unlike PCs running windows, you could get many years out of your Mac. With PCs you usually need a new computer with each new OS. And Mac OS updates were only ~$130. Oh, and Macs came with everything I pretty much needed at home.

The halo effect - Tried iPod and it worked great!

Well, I decided to ease my transition by purchasing an iPod first. It worked great. The software and hardware just fit together! No crashes, no failure to synch, no DRM issues. So after my HP died and, after being so pleased with the iPod, I made the jump and bought a 20" Core 2 Duo iMac. :)

Hey, Dragon6,

I'm both very happy that you've made the switch and are happy and that you've joined the forum (I hope that means you have and/or do listen to the podcast, too)

I have said in at least one other thread that pretty much every Mac I have owned is still around or they have moved on to others and are still working. I have a couple original iMacs which have problems but I plan to combine them into a working Mac. About six months ago, I got a working old iMac from a friend who had upgraded. I have added some RAM I had around, wiped the drive, reinstalled OS 9 and gave to my 4 yr old niece. She loves it. Plays games, iTunes, etc. (A geek in the making)

This is not to say that problems don't exist on Macs, but I really believe they are easier to solve than on Windows or even Linux machines. While Linux might rival the Mac community, Windows seems to be a much more 'if it don't work, buy a new one' kind of thing.

Keep in touch.

Welcome! Welcome! You will find soon (if you haven't already) that the Mac world is very friendly - much like a family. :) And we love getting new family members!! Feel free to ask lots of questions - everyone here is very ready and willing to help out.

Anyway, I recently switched also, and I felt like I was reading my own story when I read yours! I have always used PCs and mine died about a year ago. The breaking point for me was when I realized that I (also a gamer) was buying a $1500-2000 machine every 2-3 years because they keep breaking on me, &/or being obsolete with the newest games, OS's, etc. It just seemed like a waste of money to have to spend that much over and over and over and over. And right about the same time as this was happening, my mp3 player was driving me crazy, so I decided to stick one toe in the water, so to speak, and buy an iPod (killing two birds with one stone!). And I haven't looked back since.

It makes me wonder, why did it take me so long to switch! I'm sure you're asking yourself the same thing. :)

I've often wondered if dedicated Windows users think that if a Mac is as easy to use as many say that it really can't be that good. The concept that one must actually work at something for it to be worthwhile.

I'm making no judgments here, just thinking.

Windows seems to be a much more 'if it don't work, buy a new one' kind of thing.

I heard another one on Leo Laporte's Radio show podcast, where someone first had a problem with his laptop not recovering from hibernation mode, and later not recovering from sleep mode. The tech support told him how to turn those features off. So in Windows: when something doesn't work, just turn it off. So, in time, you will have less and less features on your Windows PC ;)

Mac may never take over but has had some great financial quarters recently and I am convinced more and more are coming over from the dark side because they are fed up, tried an apple product, were impressed that it worked as advertised and made the switch. I plan on getting a mac book for my wife and daughter and possibly a mini for my son. Soon I will have everyone converted.

PC makers better wake up - consumers are voting with their feet.

Edited by Dragon6

Hey, Dragon6,

I'm both very happy that you've made the switch and are happy and that you've joined the forum (I hope that means you have and/or do listen to the podcast, too)

I have said in at least one other thread that pretty much every Mac I have owned is still around or they have moved on to others and are still working. I have a couple original iMacs which have problems but I plan to combine them into a working Mac. About six months ago, I got a working old iMac from a friend who had upgraded. I have added some RAM I had around, wiped the drive, reinstalled OS 9 and gave to my 4 yr old niece. She loves it. Plays games, iTunes, etc. (A geek in the making)

This is not to say that problems don't exist on Macs, but I really believe they are easier to solve than on Windows or even Linux machines. While Linux might rival the Mac community, Windows seems to be a much more 'if it don't work, buy a new one' kind of thing.

Keep in touch.

Huskermn, I listen to several mac podcasts to get smart on macs including this one. the community has been great. And again, thanks for help in the software section this weekend. Things are up and running again with little pain.

Welcome! Welcome! You will find soon (if you haven't already) that the Mac world is very friendly - much like a family. :) And we love getting new family members!! Feel free to ask lots of questions - everyone here is very ready and willing to help out.

Anyway, I recently switched also, and I felt like I was reading my own story when I read yours! I have always used PCs and mine died about a year ago. The breaking point for me was when I realized that I (also a gamer) was buying a $1500-2000 machine every 2-3 years because they keep breaking on me, &/or being obsolete with the newest games, OS's, etc. It just seemed like a waste of money to have to spend that much over and over and over and over. And right about the same time as this was happening, my mp3 player was driving me crazy, so I decided to stick one toe in the water, so to speak, and buy an iPod (killing two birds with one stone!). And I haven't looked back since.

It makes me wonder, why did it take me so long to switch! I'm sure you're asking yourself the same thing. :)

I think you would find a lot of switchers with similar stories. I work in a technical field and have noticed several of my peers switching over the last year for very similar reasons.

I've often wondered if dedicated Windows users think that if a Mac is as easy to use as many say that it really can't be that good. The concept that one must actually work at something for it to be worthwhile.

I'm making no judgments here, just thinking.

I've been thinking about this very thing alot lately. I think what it comes down to is that Windows users have lived with the pain so long that they assume it's normal. It doesn't even occur to them that there is something better out there. I had a Mac friend tell me quite often for 10 years that I needed to switch, but it wasn't until I actually tried an Apple product for myself that the light dawned and I realized that they really were better and that I really didn't need to perform elaborate head-banging-against-the-monitor routines to get anything to work properly.

I heard another one on Leo Laporte's Radio show podcast, where someone first had a problem with his laptop not recovering from hibernation mode, and later not recovering from sleep mode. The tech support told him how to turn those features off. So in Windows: when something doesn't work, just turn it off. So, in time, you will have less and less features on your Windows PC ;)

That happened to me with an HP laptop I had that it could not come out of hibernation mode so I had to take it in to a store and get it fixed every single time it would do this. So after a while of this happening to me, I made the switch to Macs. One of the reasons I think Macs are superior to all Windows. ;)