• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Neo

Neo

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:10 AM

Hi. Does anybody know HOW I can cancel my audible.com subscription?
I applied for the 14 day free trial and now I want to cancel it before they charge me (which is tomorrow).
The problem is I can't find a way to do this on their site. Are they cheating? Does anybody know what's going on?

#2 Webguy

Webguy

Super Mac Geek

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in all things Technology based...

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:15 AM

I applied for the 14 day free trial and now I want to cancel it before they charge me (which is tomorrow).
The problem is I can't find a way to do this on their site. Are they cheating? Does anybody know what's going on?

Login to Audible, Click on your member type (right above # of credits available) and then click on Cancel membership.

#3 zionlion

zionlion

Meta Mac Geek

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

After lots of digging I found this link but man is it buried and i wonder why?

Perhaps Adam, Leo and all the other sites pushing this deal should have looked into the cancellation process, it strikes me as ironic when Leo bangs on about companies making it hard for users to unsubscribe from services when they are in bed with such a company.

Tut Tut Guys

I always checkout the policy for these things before I sign up, its good practice ;-)

#4 Neo

Neo

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:42 AM

The problem is that neither solution seems to apply to me.
When I browse my account details, the only link that appears is the "Change Membership Plan".
No "Cancel Membership" link is to be found anywhere on the page :(

#5 zionlion

zionlion

Meta Mac Geek

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:54 AM

When I browse my account details, the only link that appears is the "Change Membership Plan".

Ok, so have you contacted them via e-mail or phone, i understand that your card is due to be billed for the service but this can be credited back to you once the issue has been sorted.

It would be great if you came back and gave us your experience and opinions on the service as i understand many folks are interested in using this service and would appreciate the heads-up ;-)

Customer Support:

Monday-Friday 9AM-10PM EST
Saturday 10AM-7PM EST

888-283-5051 (USA & Canada) 973-820-0400 (International)

Edited by zionlion, 29 August 2007 - 04:57 AM.

#6 Neo

Neo

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:20 AM

So I called them about 30 minutes ago and talked to a guy who told me that the "Cancel Membership" link had been there, but it seems I accidentally clicked it once and it went away :)

Anyway, he ended up assuring me that he terminated my membership, I wouldn't be charged, and I would receive a confirmation email right away.

The problem is I haven't yet received that mail, and what's more, I can still log into my audible account.
Am I missing something?

Ok, so have you contacted them via e-mail or phone, i understand that your card is due to be billed for the service but this can be credited back to you once the issue has been sorted.

It would be great if you came back and gave us your experience and opinions on the service as i understand many folks are interested in using this service and would appreciate the heads-up ;-)

Customer Support:

Monday-Friday 9AM-10PM EST
Saturday 10AM-7PM EST

888-283-5051 (USA & Canada) 973-820-0400 (International)

#7 zionlion

zionlion

Meta Mac Geek

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

So I called them about 30 minutes ago and talked to a guy who told me that the "Cancel Membership" link had been there, but it seems I accidentally clicked it once and it went away :)

Anyway, he ended up assuring me that he terminated my membership, I wouldn't be charged, and I would receive a confirmation email right away.

The problem is I haven't yet received that mail, and what's more, I can still log into my audible account.
Am I missing something?

sounds like you did all the correct things, can you log-in and remove your payment details? and did you get the name of the person you spoke to?

This sounds like a bloody nightmare, offering advice to you has served a purpose because i have been thinking about joining however with the recent trials and tribulations customers appear to be having "Google it" Im not sure.

Just a thought on the email, have you checked your Spam/Junk? maybe its been filtered out?

#8 Neo

Neo

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

I didn't get that email. Not even in the Spam/Junk.
So I called again, and it seems everything's OK. Apparently, I will always have the possibility to log into my account, and re-download my purchased books, or change my membership plan. I don't know why I haven't thought of this, because it makes total sense. So here's what my account info says:

Registered Date: 08/16/07
Membership Plan: None
Available Credits: 0

So they switched my membership from Gold to None. Apparently, this means I will not be charged unless/until I decide to become a member again.
So it looks like they're not really bad people, they just happen to have bugs right in the "cancel membership" section of their website ;)

sounds like you did all the correct things, can you log-in and remove your payment details? and did you get the name of the person you spoke to?

This sounds like a bloody nightmare, offering advice to you has served a purpose because i have been thinking about joining however with the recent trials and tribulations customers appear to be having "Google it" Im not sure.

Just a thought on the email, have you checked your Spam/Junk? maybe its been filtered out?

#9 Huskermn

Huskermn

Mac Geek God

• Administrators
  • 2,101 posts
  • Interests:Macs, Harleys (actually, motorcycling in general) and Huskers.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

I'm been an Audible member since long before I had an iPod and really enjoy the service. One of the things I like is the ability to always re-download something. That makes it so you don't necessarily need to back up your books (though, I do because I'm a paranoid old geek).

#10 TommyW

TommyW

Mac Geek Apprentice

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:09 AM

Audible is cool, the quality of the product is good. I like being able to digest books this way. Perfect if you drive or commute, it's difficult to do in a family or shared office environment. But good when you're on the road.

I have to use the .co.uk site however which has much fewer books than the US one, and quite a few of the recommendations on the Maccast and MBWeekly are not available to us on this side of the Atlantic.

#11 car1son

car1son

Meta Mac Geek

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

I've used Audible on and off for years. I've "cancelled" a subscription plan several times (if you have the time to listen, the subscriptions are a great deal. Before the podcast explosion made filling up my iPod so easy I used to get the daily NYT and WSJ reads, plus 2 books a month.)

"Cancelling" Audible really just means dropping the subscription plan. They keep your account - you can still buy audio books a-la-carte when the mood strikes you. (You can also buy a-la-carte from the iTunes Store.) You can re-authorize a new iPod or computer to play the old books you've already purchased with that account, too. I've found them to be a class act.

Edited by car1son, 30 August 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#12 rj5620

rj5620

New Mac Geek

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

I tried to cancel my subscription today after clicking on "Change Membership Plan" , Leo says it is easy to do, but alas there is no "Cancel Subscription" link at the bottom as their help screen claims.
Poor customer service in my view, I sent an email and hopefully they will not charge me, as my subscription is up today, a Sunday.

#13 Apple Matt

Apple Matt

Mac Geek Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

It was also a pain for me when I wanted to cancel. I was on the .co.uk store too and I ended up having to call them on the phone to cancel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users