3 replies to this topic

#1 almighty_spork

almighty_spork

Meta Mac Geek

• Administrators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Not filling out forms

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

At work, for reasons I don't fully understand, we have several extra Windows MCE remotes, we don't however have any of the receivers. Does anyone know of a way to to use that remote with the built-in IR port on my MacBook? I did some Google searches and couldn't come up with anything. I'm kinda hoping there is a way since I like the extra functions that the MCE remote offers. Sure the Apple remote is simple and works well with Front Row, but I have a TV tuner, and that remote would be ideal.

-Tom

#2 ithonicfury

ithonicfury

Alpha Mac Geek

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

Unfortunately, I think it only goes the other way. You can use an MCE receiver to use an apple remote on machines without a built-in receiver, but not a mce remote on a mac as far as I know.

Edited by ithonicfury, 16 October 2007 - 06:34 AM.

#3 almighty_spork

almighty_spork

Meta Mac Geek

• Administrators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Not filling out forms

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:59 AM

This is about the same conclusion I've come to. Too bad. I wonder if its a technical impossibility, or if it's just a matter of someone writing a driver.

-Tom

#4 ithonicfury

ithonicfury

Alpha Mac Geek

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

I dont think the IR receiver in the mac would support it, but using the MCE remote with an MCE receiver should only be a matter of a driver, specially considering that there are other remotes that will work with the Mac (such as the one that ships with the elgato eyetv 250.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users