• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shawna Talley

shawna Talley

New Mac Geek

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

I just bought a new macbook pro and sold my iBook G4. I'm trying to find a way to erase the hard drive of all my stuff and reinstall everything for the new owner. Is there a good way to do this? I'm not sure how to delete applications....

#2 joe28753

joe28753

Alpha Mac Geek

• Administrators
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

probably the best way to do this is to boot up from the restore disc and just Erase and Install the operating system. that way it'll be a fresh install and you dont have to worry about uninstalling apps individually.

for extra security, what i would suggest is zeroing out the hard drive. when you delete things off a hard drive, it doesnt actually remove the data, it just marks that part of the drive as reusable. if you boot up from the restore disc and then open up disk utility, select your hard drive, then the erase tab. you should see security options in there somewhere and an option to zero out the drive. what this does is just write over the whole thing with zeroes so your data cant be retrieved.

#3 roogie

roogie

Mac Geek God

• Members
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitter:@roogie
  • Interests:motorcycles, Macs and guitars

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:41 AM

I would do as joe says, there are some options when reinstalling. Do the Erase and Install and you can even have the Installer do up to a 35 pass wipe of the hard drive, insuring that the old data is gone leaving a fresh virgin copy of OS X after it's done with all the standard applications.

roog

#4 mobilexile

mobilexile

Meta Mac Geek

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

I would do as joe says, there are some options when reinstalling. Do the Erase and Install and you can even have the Installer do up to a 35 pass wipe of the hard drive, insuring that the old data is gone leaving a fresh virgin copy of OS X after it's done with all the standard applications.

roog

This is precisely what I'd do. That way no one can get at your personal data on down the road. As I recall the DOD standards call for a seven-pass wipe of government drives -- FYI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users