Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goodapple

NeoOffice

9 posts in this topic

I originally found NeoOffice on http://bestmacsoftware.org/ and i just downloaded it only about a week ago. On a scale from 1 to 10, i would give this about a 9 for a free program. It has all of the necessary things included like the bold, underline, ect. buttons right there front of you, unlike Text Edit and is also a lot more easy to access things you will use a lot in a writing program unlike Text Edit. It is very simple to write up an excellent letter, report, or just about anything you need to type up. I have already written a report on it and a couple of other documents on it and it was just as simple as microsoft:office Mac. The only thing was that there were a couple of bugs with the program when you upgraded to leopard but they already fixed those early issues with a patch up for it that you will have to download to it when you downloaded the main program first. :) But again, overall, this is a very helpful program that i would highly recommend to anyone who is looking for a great writing/office program. But the amazing thing is, that the whole entire package is totally FREE! :D Hope this will have eased your search for a good writing program.

Here is a screenshot of the program.

6svc93q.png

Edited by goodapple

I love this app and have been using it for a long while now. I only hope that its development doesn't loose momentum now that OpenOffice.org can be run without X11. This will always be the office suite of my choosing, because of how good it is, how much better it gets every revision, and the price is right.

-Tom

This is my fav. office application. I prefer it to iWork and Microsoft Office. It's so simple and quick. I have iWork and Office 04 + '08 and they honestly do not beat it for class work, and quick homeworks!

Not to mention that it's got all the other programs - spreadsheet, database, presentations, and drawing. It's a whole suite in one compact app. The only thing I wish is that it had a better startup time, but even so, it beats the pants off of Word 2008 in my tests.

For a lone worker, this is a fine application. In a (script automated) office environment, nothing comes even close to Microsoft Office, I'm afraid. The only drawback for MS Office is that collaborative documents are somewhat an afterthought. It should be more wiki like, or have some version control system. Not that I'm an expert on office software, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Edited by Ignoracious

I write a lot of reports that require formulae and equations. I currently use MS Office, but would readily switch if an alternative program included a similarly advanced equation builder. Is this feature present? I know OpenOffice lacks it.

Numbers is sufficiently advanced for me, but there's a 30 day trial available from apple. I don't even have office installed anymore.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

I have iWork which is good for more complex stuff and integration with apple software but for quick and easy to use software, NeoOffice is great. And its free too, which is always a plus.

Our old Windows desktop came with this program...I have to say that I never got the chance to use it - maybe I should!