Ignoracious

Leopard or Ubuntu?

10 posts in this topic

What is the better OS of 2007, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, or Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon? Linux Magazine did a review. And there is no clear winner. It all depends on what you want and what budget you have. The article discusses some warts in both OSes, which are very interesting to know. For who knows both OSes intimately, nothing new, though.

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4641/

What is the better OS of 2007, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, or Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon? Linux Magazine did a review. And there is no clear winner. It all depends on what you want and what budget you have. The article discusses some warts in both OSes, which are very interesting to know. For who knows both OSes intimately, nothing new, though.

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4641/

Hands down, in my opinion, OS X is the better choice over Linux, regardless of version.

(I should note, I haven't used the latest version of either OS X or Ubuntu, although I have used fairly recent versions of both. I'm currently using Tiger, and I have used Ubuntu w/in the last year - can't remember which version # it was, but it was the most recent download at that time.)

My reasoning behind my answer comes down to usability. Linux is definitely a very stable environment; as is Mac OS X. And they are both 1000 times better than Windows.

But for me what it comes down to is that it gets tiring after awhile to have to tinker around in the terminal to get anything to work properly. I felt like you had to know quite a bit of behind-the-scenes coding in order to set up the OS to work in a natural and intuitive way. I like that OS X already has all the user-interfaces, application-downloaders, etc. figured out for me.

That being said, if you're into tinkering with the terminal and want a more do-it-yourself OS, then Linux would definitely be the right choice for you.

Edited by desertrose0601

A very well written review. To me it is obvious that no OS is better than any other: one OS is better than another for a particular person and their personal needs.

It did bring up one thing that I dislike about Apple and the Mac: The problem comes if you don't like the way Apple decided to do something. Too bad, bud. It's Apple's way or the highway

A very well written review. To me it is obvious that no OS is better than any other: one OS is better than another for a particular person and their personal needs.

It did bring up one thing that I dislike about Apple and the Mac: The problem comes if you don't like the way Apple decided to do something. Too bad, bud. It's Apple's way or the highway

Funny, this is exactly the reason why I switched to Apple. I'd rather be forced to do something one way, than spend hours/days/weeks/months trying to configure Ubuntu or any other *nix to work the way I want it to!

I may not like the way some aspects of OSX work (especially finder) but my productivity has skyrocketed, my wife is relieved to be able to have a new calmer husband, and everything works!

(I just read my response to my wife who is currently in stitches, she wholeheartedly agrees with my comments)

Coming from a perspective where I've used Mac/Linux/W1nd0wz, I will agree that Mac and Linux are both better than Windows. However, for the choice between Mac and Linux, it really depends on what you want. Mac just works out the box, and Linux has come a long way. Depending on the distribution, you may or may not have to configure stuff in the terminal/command line to get everything working. I've installed Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, and a couple others that don't require the use of the terminal. I also like the cool 3D/compiz fusion effects in Ubuntu and a few other distros, something that would really make the Mac shine.

Funny, this is exactly the reason why I switched to Apple. I'd rather be forced to do something one way, than spend hours/days/weeks/months trying to configure Ubuntu or any other *nix to work the way I want it to!

I may not like the way some aspects of OSX work (especially finder) but my productivity has skyrocketed, my wife is relieved to be able to have a new calmer husband, and everything works!

So true! Once I switched to Mac, there's just this ease to everything - probably b/c there is only one way to do things. You don't have to wrack your brain trying to come up with the winning combination of software and hardware (much like you would have to do with Windows). It just works. I love that!

y do they even bother to compare them, I just installed 7.0.04 and all the head aches with that, I almost wished I didn't. There is such a differents in ease of every day use that osx it much better.

Hey, thespottedelf, give it some time. People switching from Windows to Mac also need a few weeks to get used to it. I guess the same applies when sliding between Mac OS X and Ubuntu.

One thing: I can create photo books, family movies DVD, decent website right away without any prior knowledge of the iApps. I could not do so with Ubuntu Linux. I know that Ubuntu has just about every applications you can think of, but the key here is the out-of-the-box experience of Mac OS which can't be beat.

That's said, I do find myself working on Ubuntu Linux and liking it quite so.

I will admit that part of the reason it doesn't work so well is because its on a ppc not a x 86 machine. But stick leopard is much much much (etc) superior.