• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DaviYavi

DaviYavi

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

Just bought a new MacBook in November. For the last 2 weeks, I've noticed that when I try to shut down, it closes all the apps and my desktop icons disappear, but all I have left is the little rotating sunbeam icon (or whatever it's called) in the bottom center of the screen. My desktop image is still there. I wait 10 minutes and nothing happens. I end up making a hard shutdown by holding down the power key. When I turn it back on, everything is normal.

My guess is that some program or function is hanging. How can I find out what the problem is?

#2 Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Super Mac Geek

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

If I understood your post correctly, you still have applications running when you go to shut down your macbook. I would recommend quiting all running applications yourself, then trying to shut down, and see what happens

#3 DaviYavi

DaviYavi

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:07 PM

If I understood your post correctly, you still have applications running when you go to shut down your macbook. I would recommend quiting all running applications yourself, then trying to shut down, and see what happens

I have quit all programs before attempting to shut down. Still not shutting down.

#4 Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Super Mac Geek

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

After quiting all other apps, try opening Activity Monitor and taking a look at what is running there. If anything there catches your eye as using allot of RAM or CPU threads, post about it, or post a screenshot of the activity monitor window.

#5 DaviYavi

DaviYavi

Mac Geek In Training

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

After quiting all other apps, try opening Activity Monitor and taking a look at what is running there. If anything there catches your eye as using allot of RAM or CPU threads, post about it, or post a screenshot of the activity monitor window.

I quit all apps and had Activity Monitor up before shutting down. When I attempted to shut down, the activity monitor disappeared and the computer didn't shut down. Same as before. I didn't notice anything unusual running in the Activity Monitor. I've taken a screen shot of the activity monitor window, but don't know how to post an image. Can you tell me how?

Edited by DaviYavi, 02 February 2008 - 10:31 PM.

#6 Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Super Mac Geek

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

It would appear that to post an image that you would have to have it hostex on another website abf link to it from your post. To enter the url of were a photo is hosted to link to it, just click the button just to the right of the button to the right of the smilies drop down menu above the text box. Its not hard to find.

At this point, there are a few more things I would reccomend. First go to the Disk Utility and run a permissions repair and see if that does anything. I would also consider resetting the PMU. Instructions can be found on Apple's support site on how to do this for your particular machine. Just search the support page for resetting PMU and make sure you choose the right instructions for your machine. If this stuff still doesn't work, I have a few more ideas.

#7 groomsy57

groomsy57

Uber Mac Geek

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • Twitter:toddgrooms

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

To fix this, download the 10.5.1 update again and install it. That's what I had to do for my Macbook Pro and it works now. Give that a shot and let us know. If you have any questions, let me know.

#8 Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Super Mac Geek

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:19 PM

To fix this, download the 10.5.1 update again and install it. That's what I had to do for my Macbook Pro and it works now. Give that a shot and let us know. If you have any questions, let me know.

I am still running Tiger, so I wouldn't have thought to suggest that, so thanks for posting!

#9 groomsy57

groomsy57

Uber Mac Geek

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • Twitter:toddgrooms

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

I am still running Tiger, so I wouldn't have thought to suggest that, so thanks for posting!

No problem. Looked through, saw someone was having a similar problem as I had, and gave a suggestion that fixed my problem. Just glad I can help. I get so much help from this forum, it's good to give back if I can. I just hope it fixes his problem.

#10 diamondg14

diamondg14

Mac Geek Apprentice

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Macs, and Chicks.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

I too have this problem. Their is quite a long and similar thread I have been following on the Apple Discussion Forums.

http://discussions.a...6633836#6633836

Here is my story. My mac shuts down successfully about 1/4 times. When it goes to sleep it cannot be woke, it needs a hard shut down. Most of the time I need to pop the battery out to shut down the mac. I have noticed my battery's life is precipitously decreasing because of all of this. Also sometime my keyboard and trackpad stop working. My firewire port has not worked since the leopard update. Now since 10.5.2 my mac takes around 5 minutes to boot up. Everything worked great under Tiger, it all started when I upgraded to Leopard.

I am totally befuddled and frustrated and never been more disappointed in Apple. Here is what I have done. Does anyone else have any ideas.

Reset PRAM - did not resolve.
Reset SMC/PMU - did not resolve.
Took out 3rd party Ram installed original Apple Ram - did not resolve.
Upgraded to 10.5.1 - did not resolve.
Trashed - HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist - did not resolve.
Archive and Installed Leopard - did not resolve.
Upgraded to 10.5.2 - did not resolve.
Fresh install of Leopard on 2 different hard drives - did not resolve.
Updated pre-bindings.
Repaired Permissions about 100 times.

I used to promote Mac's to all my friends and family, but I won't do so anymore. I have come to realize they are not any more stable.

#11 Ignoracious

Ignoracious

Alpha Mac Geek

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

I think it's time to bring your MacBook in for repair. If you have AppleCare, I would certainly do that. It seems to me that it is a hardware issue.

You shouldn't really blame Apple. All manufacturers produce "lemons". It is the consequence of the cheap manufacturing process. After all, your laptop is made in a similar factory in China as the laptop of another brand. It is cheaper to replace the lemons than have 100 percent non-defective machines.

#12 diamondg14

diamondg14

Mac Geek Apprentice

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

I think it's time to bring your MacBook in for repair. If you have AppleCare, I would certainly do that. It seems to me that it is a hardware issue.

You shouldn't really blame Apple. All manufacturers produce "lemons". It is the consequence of the cheap manufacturing process. After all, your laptop is made in a similar factory in China as the laptop of another brand. It is cheaper to replace the lemons than have 100 percent non-defective machines.

I was praying for some further advice anyone have any ideas.

I guess my last last resort is sending it in for repair. Its out of Applecare. Has anyone sent in units to get repaired by Apple out of Applecare. If so how astronomical was the costs?

#13 Ignoracious

Ignoracious

Alpha Mac Geek

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

Adam has recommended on his podcast to contact an authorized Apple Repair Center, instead of Apple, if you're out of warranty. Apple just replaces whole parts, while the independents often will do --whenever possible-- a simple component repair that costs less. Of course, you always have to ask for an estimate of the repair costs, and not to do the repair if the repair cost turn out to be more than a limit you have set. Always try to get them to put this on paper, so it is easier to prove what the agreement was.

#14 Huskermn

Huskermn

Mac Geek God

• Administrators
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:Macs, Harleys (actually, motorcycling in general) and Huskers.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

I too have this problem. Their is quite a long and similar thread I have been following on the Apple Discussion Forums.

http://discussions.a...6633836#6633836

Here is my story. My mac shuts down successfully about 1/4 times. When it goes to sleep it cannot be woke, it needs a hard shut down. Most of the time I need to pop the battery out to shut down the mac. I have noticed my battery's life is precipitously decreasing because of all of this. Also sometime my keyboard and trackpad stop working. My firewire port has not worked since the leopard update. Now since 10.5.2 my mac takes around 5 minutes to boot up. Everything worked great under Tiger, it all started when I upgraded to Leopard.

I am totally befuddled and frustrated and never been more disappointed in Apple. Here is what I have done. Does anyone else have any ideas.

Reset PRAM - did not resolve.
Reset SMC/PMU - did not resolve.
Took out 3rd party Ram installed original Apple Ram - did not resolve.
Upgraded to 10.5.1 - did not resolve.
Trashed - HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist - did not resolve.
Archive and Installed Leopard - did not resolve.
Upgraded to 10.5.2 - did not resolve.
Fresh install of Leopard on 2 different hard drives - did not resolve.
Updated pre-bindings.
Repaired Permissions about 100 times.

I used to promote Mac's to all my friends and family, but I won't do so anymore. I have come to realize they are not any more stable.

Just a thought - is Time Machine running? SInce Activity Monitor goes away when the shutdown starts, quit all apps except Activity Monitor and see what's happening right before the Shutdown starts. Might find a clue.

#15 diamondg14

diamondg14

Mac Geek Apprentice

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

Just a thought - is Time Machine running? SInce Activity Monitor goes away when the shutdown starts, quit all apps except Activity Monitor and see what's happening right before the Shutdown starts. Might find a clue.

No it is not on. Activity monitor does not appear to have anything odd running when I shut down and it still won't shut down normally.

The shut down issue is not nearly as big of an issue to me as the fact the MacBook will not wake from sleep, when I open the lid. If that would work I could avoid the shutting down and rebooting that is taking so damn long.

#16 ganbustein

ganbustein

Super Mac Geek

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

Just bought a new MacBook in November. For the last 2 weeks, I've noticed that when I try to shut down, it closes all the apps and my desktop icons disappear, but all I have left is the little rotating sunbeam icon (or whatever it's called) in the bottom center of the screen. My desktop image is still there. I wait 10 minutes and nothing happens. I end up making a hard shutdown by holding down the power key. When I turn it back on, everything is normal.

Just a few thoughts:

Is the "little rotating sunbeam icon" colored or just gray and white? If it's gray and white, have you tried waiting it out? There might be some one-time disk maintenance the OS wants to do but it can't because somebody keeps powering it off every time it tries. :( Maybe it just needs more than 10 minutes, and shutdowns will be normal once it gets done. (You'll probably want to have wall power when you do this.)

Do you have any bluetooth devices? Some people have reported that their bluetooth devices are preventing shutdown. The cure is to delete them and then re-pair them, after which shutdown works normally.

Have you installed any third-party utilities? There's a report that the uninstaller for DoubleCommand has a bug in it that prevents shutdown. The "cure" is to reinstall DoubleCommand.

Do you use FileVault? After logging out from a FileVaulted account, and before shutdown, your home directory has to be recompressed, and then Time Machine wants to run (because this is the only chance it gets to back up your file vault). I only mention this in passing. I don't think this is it, because while it's recompressing and backing up you get a dialog that tells you what's happening.

#17 diamondg14

diamondg14

Mac Geek Apprentice

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

Just a few thoughts:

Is the "little rotating sunbeam icon" colored or just gray and white? If it's gray and white, have you tried waiting it out? There might be some one-time disk maintenance the OS wants to do but it can't because somebody keeps powering it off every time it tries. :( Maybe it just needs more than 10 minutes, and shutdowns will be normal once it gets done. (You'll probably want to have wall power when you do this.)

Tried that, it does seem to shut down once in a while successfully, and normally when I give it some more time. But often times I will give it a couple minutes and when I close the lid, the light is still on. FYI when I shut down it the screen goes black after about 15-30 seconds like normal.

Do you have any bluetooth devices? Some people have reported that their bluetooth devices are preventing shutdown. The cure is to delete them and then re-pair them, after which shutdown works normally.

No, bluetooth is off, and the last time I paired any device would of been a year ago.

Have you installed any third-party utilities? There's a report that the uninstaller for DoubleCommand has a bug in it that prevents shutdown. The "cure" is to reinstall DoubleCommand.

I tried a reinstall of Tiger and Leopard. Fresh install on 2 different hard drives. So I can't imagine that's it.

Do you use FileVault? After logging out from a FileVaulted account, and before shutdown, your home directory has to be recompressed, and then Time Machine wants to run (because this is the only chance it gets to back up your file vault). I only mention this in passing. I don't think this is it, because while it's recompressing and backing up you get a dialog that tells you what's happening.

I have Never turned on filevault. Time Machine is not on.

Thanks for your suggestions, it seems to me problems like this are always something small that, one bangs their head against the wall for not figuring out sooner. If anyone else has suggestions please give them to me. Thanks.

#18 MacCast

MacCast

King Mac Geek

• Root Admin
  • 1,177 posts
  • Twitter:maccast

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

After you did the reinstalls did you migrate your data and user accounts or did you leave them clean? If you left them clean and you still had the issue then I am afraid their is likely something wrong at a low level. A clean erase and install with just the OS should not be giving you this kind of issue. At that point I would advise taking it to Apple, sorry to hear you are out of AppleCare.

#19 diamondg14

diamondg14

Mac Geek Apprentice

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

After you did the reinstalls did you migrate your data and user accounts or did you leave them clean? If you left them clean and you still had the issue then I am afraid their is likely something wrong at a low level. A clean erase and install with just the OS should not be giving you this kind of issue. At that point I would advise taking it to Apple, sorry to hear you are out of AppleCare.

No, I did clean install with no migration. The last time I wrote Zero's to the drive before fresh install. I have an Authorized reseller near me so hopefully they won't gouge my eyes out.

#20 omgitsaliv55

omgitsaliv55

Super Mac Geek

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Computers, Networking, Photography, Graphic Design, the list goes on...

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Frankly, I can get a much better computer for the money if I bought a PC rather than a mac, but I love OS X so I go with mac. Just look at bestbuy.com. You can get a computer that is as good as a macbook for 400 dollars less, but it will only run Windows or Linux. I think Apple's quality assurance could be much better for what we pay, because I've owned a macbook for a month and called Applecare 3 times about it. That's almost once a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users