Georg Wacker

DiscRotate

5 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the right spot to promote own software-projects, but let's just say I'm awaiting your reviews on this :rolleyes:

DiscRotate is a daemon that will control the speed of your optical drives and was just released in version 0.3.

It is OpenSource so I stand on good moral grounds to pull this shameless plug ;)

Anyways, I mainly wrote this software for myself and use it daily. I got impressive resonance so far, almost 3000 d/l and it will be released on MACup (german magazin).

Maybe, DiscRotate is usefull for you, too: http://discrotate.sourceforge.net/

I saw this on the Apple Software site .... I even downloaded it but when it came time to install, I didn't. I'm hesitant to mess with the spin rate of the Superdrive since noise is really not an issue for me ( My iMac an MacbookPro sound fine ). Is there any other advantage to adjusting the speed of the drive that I missed?

Lower power consumption I guess. Not sure though.

It's really about the noise, but I doubt it will lower the power consumption.

DiscRotate won't alter your drives firmware, it just sends the drive a command to reduce the speed.

But of course, if you're not having noise-issues then you shouldn't install it.

I also had several reports that it will not work with some drives, that's why I included the DiscRotateTester. It's hard to track down, as Apple only calls them SuperDrives, while in reality they are quite different and not the same manufacture.

For me, it's quite annoying watching a movie on my MBP without reducing the drive speed.

Thanks for the response Georg. Good luck with the project! :)