Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Barker

3G iPhone Announced!

25 posts in this topic

Just to get it to the maccast forum quickly I have copied this from iPod Touch Fans and owe all credit to them!

Previewed Apps

1) Super Monkey Ball- $9.99

2) Ebay Native- $0

3) Loopt (native location-aware social network)- $0

4) TypePad (native blog app)- $0

5) Mobile News Network (from associated press, location aware news app)- $0

6) Enigmo (physics based game)- $9.99

7) Cro-Mag Rally (3D racing game)- $9.99

8) Band (price not mentioned?)

9) MLB native app (including video highlights)

10) Modality (learning application for the parts of the body)

11) Medical App 2 from MIMvista (medical imager)

-- About a dozen more medical apps will be coming, but they weren't shown--

12) 3D Fantasy Adventure from Digital Legends

Other Updates

1) Push support for Devs

2) iWork Support

3) MS Office Support

4) Scientific Calculator

Application Distribution

1)AppStore Info

1) No fee for posting free Applications

2) Applications < 10mb can be over cellular signal or wifi

3) Applications > 10mb over wifi or iTunes

2) Enterprise Distribution

1) Can create/ distribute apps for only their intranet

2) Will only be able to run on their own internet

3) Ad-Hoc Distribution

1) One iPhone connects to other and transfers the app directly to them

2) Can connect to up to 100 other iPhones

MobileMe

1) Personal push server

2) Interfaces with desktop applications (Mail, iCal, Address Book for Mac/ Outlook for PC)

3) Me.com

1) Very cool looking email client

2) iCalendar look-alike

3) Contacts integrating Google Maps

4) iPhoto look-alike

5) iDisk Support (send people info directly through App)

6) $99 per year-- 20GB of storage

7) Replacing .mac

iPhone 3G (new iPhone)

wwdc-keynote_174.jpg

Design

1) Black Back

2) Thinner at edges

3) Full plastic back

4) Flush iPhone jack

5) Same display & Camera

6) Better audio quality

Battery Life

1) > 300 hours standby

2) 3G Talk time 5 hours/ 2G Talk Time 8-10 hours

3) Browsing 5-6 hours

4) Video 7-8 hours

5) Music 24 hours

Features

1) 3G Network Support

2) GPS Built in

Distribution

1) Distributed in 70 countries

2) Coming out in the 22 biggest on July 11

Price

1) 8gb- $199

2) 16gb- $299 (also has a white version)

Just to get it to the maccast forum quickly I have copied this from iPod Touch Fans and owe all credit to them!

Sorry, Oliver, but you're a half hour behind me (See WWDC Keynote ) but I only included links rather than full text copies.

haha, well i hope you'll stick with mine! I've got information right here, LoL, and if anybodies interested i'm selling a 16GB iPod Touch Jailbroken, comes with any requested jailbroken applications and all 16GB of music, tv shows and movies!

ok so i just noticed in small print that the price does in fact reflect the subsidized price (obviously), which requires a new 2-year plan. i'm wondering how that works with the account i set up for the first iphone. i'm guessing new 2 year plan doesnt mean i literally get a new phone number, but rather they'll just tack on 2 more years to my contract..?

That's what it looks like. And it looks like o2 are going to get another 18 months worth of money from me! £159 for the 16Gb is a bargain! *SQUEEE!*

I'm going with you graham, 16gb £150 new england pounds! Except i'm going to get it on pay as you go from O2 since I don't spent enough money to have a contract. lol

I doubt very much it will be £159 on pay as you go. More likely double that. It's only so cheap because it's subsidised by o2.

But will you be able to buy it Graham at the ship but not purchase a sim card? LoL. You could just say you broke your old iPhone! And I know what you mean, it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive on pay as you go cause your not paying them monthly!

All the fancy "enterprise" stuff (remote erase if lost, for example) sounds like a fancy phone. But then when you can't even sync your notes (I have lost my notes twice due to hardware problems with my iPhone) and you can't even do a copy paste.... I mean this is not really believable! a whole year later and they still can't do the two simplest things with the phone! Every smart phone I ever had was able to do copy paste and to sync notes. This iPhone is looking pretty primitive in the basics department! Grrr.

(Hoping I don't have to lose my notes again because I USE them!!)

Susan Gross

Colorado Springs, CO

<www.susangrosstprs.com>

But will you be able to buy it Graham at the ship but not purchase a sim card? LoL. You could just say you broke your old iPhone! And I know what you mean, it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive on pay as you go cause your not paying them monthly!

Unlikely. Current iPhones don't work with any other sim cards than the special iPhone ones, so I don't see it changing.

No, i know from experience that you could buy a iPhone and unlock, jailbreak and activate it without getting getting a contract in the shop for it. But can that still be done? Basically once i've sold my Touch I want to go out and buy a iPhone, not activated and take it home, where I can activate it with... for example a new version of iLiberty

No, as has been said elsewhere, activation will now happen in store. Yes, you can unlock it if you really want to get a new one torn on other network's data prices, but you'll have to buy it on PAYG.

Activation through iTunes has been discontinued.

No, as has been said elsewhere, activation will now happen in store. Yes, you can unlock it if you really want to get a new one torn on other network's data prices, but you'll have to buy it on PAYG.

Activation through iTunes has been discontinued.

Where did you read that Graham? I can't find references to that info anywhere.

ACK!!

I suppose it's OK in the long run but for the initial offering it's really going to suck.

I understand why (for ATT) but I still think it's a mistake.

I'm quite happy to give up 12 minutes of my time to get such a cheap iPhone. Possibly even a free one if I decide to just go with the 8Gb (and I upgrade to the £45 / mo plan).

It's not the one person - 12 minutes that I think is bad.

It's the 'a hundred or more people lined up at the door and each needing 12 minutes'.

That, and it completely eliminates on-line sales, which severely limits access in most of rural areas.

Oh, and the ATT staff I know would rather sell something other than an iPhone, although that may change now that corporate has decided to subsidize them.

It doesn't necessarily rule out online sales. I've ordered a pre-activated phone online before. The O2 site specifically mentions that you'll be able to buy it online. I don't see it being any different elsewhere.

And at least in the UK I don't see any big queues. The apple stores don't seem to be selling them (so that disperses all the fanboys), and there are several Carphone Warehouse / O2 stores in most towns. I fully expect to be able to pick up an iPhone on the 11th without waiting more than 20 mins or so.

I wanted to mention that the iPhone 3G isn't cheaper than the iPhone 2G. On the contrary, I think it is more expensive. Only, the subsidy has been increased, so customers don't pay as much upfront anymore. At the same time, what you get for your money from the provider has been limited. No mention of unlimited sms anymore. The 3G data plan is $10 USD per month more expensive, as is the 3G phone plan, I believe.

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple will announce/offer unlocked iPhones in December 2008, for around $800 USD, which is probably a more realistic price for this device. The current offerings of $199 en $299 USD is just ridiculously low. That can't possibly cover the costs of production, promotion and development.

It's cheaper in the UK. Out monthly bill has remained exactly the same. It seems that apple has followed the traditional route for handset manufacturers this time - the network operators subsidise the handset so the consumer gets it cheaper, but apple doesn't get any of the monthly bill - which explains the variable pricing.

With your thinking, apple certainly wouldn't be making any money here, since the top two contacts get the 8Gb for free and the 16Gb for just £59.

It just seems that in the US it's AT&T being greedy in charging more. I blogged about it on my site I was so impressed with O2 not using it as a chance to rake in the cash. Sure the cheap handsets are a limited offer until october, but that's to be expected since phones will be bought as christmas presents.

So, this says more about AT&T than anything else. Some people (perhaps many people) think it is the worst provider in the USA. However, it seems AT&T was the only provider willing to gamble on the iPhone. We should never forget that. Without AT&T there perhaps wouldn't have been such a buzz around the iPhone, or even an iPhone at all.

Like it was a gamble at all. Any network would have loved to have this device. They're just the ones that would cave in to apple's demands. If they hadn't caved, apple would just have gone with a less favourable deal (that wouldn't make them as much obscene profit).

It seems Verizon did say no, because they didn't like what Apple proposed. And didn't Randall Stephenson (CEO AT&T) need cribs to give his presentations when the iPhone was announced at MacWorld 2007?

Yeah, but I'm saying that apple wouldn't have scrapped the iPhone if no one would take the terms they got. They'd have to negotiate. The reason AT&T took those crappy terms was because they knew it would sell like hotcakes. I think the Verizon boss is kicking himself now after seeing how well the iPhone has done.

It is a bit comparable to what CEO of KPN Telecom Netherlands, Ad Scheepbouwer, said about the iPhone, according to the Financial Times of February 6, 2008:

Apple's iPhone is "pretty useless" and sales in Germany have not dented new customer numbers for E-Plus, the German mobile unit of KPN, said Ad Scheepbouwer, chief executive of the Dutch telecoms company.

However, speaking after KPN reported fourth-quarter results in line with expectations and an upbeat outlook, Mr Scheepbouwer also said KPN would be interested in selling the iPhone in the Netherlands, where it has yet to be launched.

I'm not at all surprised that Apple didn't talk with KPN, but, instead with T-Mobile. I'm sure Steve Jobs doesn't like that kind of attitude one little bit of his potential partners. Because KPN is the biggest provider in the Netherlands, they tend to be a bit cocky. Mr Scheepbouwer is going to be very sorry he publicly stated that the iPhone is pretty useless, when he sees the sales figures of the iPhone 3G.

Telecom providers are just so arrogant. :angry: