jlamb0

Got my new Macbook

11 posts in this topic

I went and bought my new black Macbook yesterday from the campus store. Picked up a very nice iPod Touch as well. I got home, set everything up, and I am now very happy.

The only problem I'm having is with my printer. I bought a new wireless Lexmark printer/scanner a few months ago, but it only supports OS 10.3 and 10.4. Anyone know when I can expect an updated driver? It would be a shame to have to buy a brand new printer.

What's the model number? Are there no drivers on the lexmark site?

If you can't find anything direct from Lexmark, check out Gutenprint. It might work.

Did you actually try the drivers? My HP was supposedly only 10.3 compatible, but I tried it, and it worked flawlessly.

Actually, my first day out of the box I tried the pirnter's install disk, and it failed to install. I checked the site and searched for drivers for my model number, and found updated drivers for windows vista, but none for 10.5. The very next day (yesterday) I checked again and they had updated with a new driver for 10.5! What luck, eh?

My pinter now works better on the Mac than it did on my Dell!

Actually, my first day out of the box I tried the pirnter's install disk, and it failed to install. I checked the site and searched for drivers for my model number, and found updated drivers for windows vista, but none for 10.5. The very next day (yesterday) I checked again and they had updated with a new driver for 10.5! What luck, eh?

My pinter now works better on the Mac than it did on my Dell!

As everything else will. ;) Congrats on the new machine. I will probably be getting a new Macbook when they release the LED backlit screens on them.

Actually, I would have just plugged in the printer to the laptop and tried it out before even before trying the manufacturer's install disk. I have have found that Leopard supports a vast majority of printers right out of the box .... and most that I have tried work better with the Leopard pre-loaded drivers than the packaged ones anyway.

That's why I like HP printers - drivers through software update on leopard.

I'm not sure about this.. but on Leopard, Gutenprint is already on it.

I was recently attaching a printer to a Macbook Air, and after plug in, I pressed print and Gutenprint just ran :S Attempt it?

Actually, I would have just plugged in the printer to the laptop and tried it out before even before trying the manufacturer's install disk. I have have found that Leopard supports a vast majority of printers right out of the box .... and most that I have tried work better with the Leopard pre-loaded drivers than the packaged ones anyway.

I guess I could have done that, but the whole reason I bought that printer was for wireless printing. There was no room for the printer in our little office area (My fiancee and I live in a small cottage, and space is at a premium), so I had to stash it upstairs. The wireless makes life very easy, but to make it work, I needed the updated driver.

But anyway, everything "just works" now, and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by jlamb0

Cool, Enjoy your mac.