desertrose0601

"Isn't the Mac software super expensive?"

6 posts in this topic

I actually ran into one of those people the other day who believes that Mac software is way more expensive than PC software. (I think they were trying to wrap their head around why I, a perfectly rational individual, would willingly choose to use a Mac.) So I just quizzically look at them and say, "No... no... actually a lot of the software is free..." Ha! They got the funniest look on their face, and I had to wonder if they've ever actually priced Mac software. Like any software, some is expensive of course, but there are so many more great open source softwares out there than I could ever find for the PC. Too funny...

I agree with you about the open source community on the Mac. There is a lot of great software out there. And I know there is great open source software for Windows, but it just seems to me that the open source software is much better and much more refined on the Mac. It may be perception for me, but it just feels that way when you are using the software.

I agree with you about the open source community on the Mac. There is a lot of great software out there. And I know there is great open source software for Windows, but it just seems to me that the open source software is much better and much more refined on the Mac. It may be perception for me, but it just feels that way when you are using the software.

Yeah I totally agree. There are some open source softwares for PC but they mainly are cheap-looking. Mac developers seem to take more pride in their work, I think.

Even most of the commercial software is cheap. I use very little open source software (nothing against it, just I use whatever works better for me), but the only software that cost any amount of money (basically the only piece over the £50 mark bar iWork and OS X itself and they're all cheap for what you get anyway) is CS3 and ARD. All the rest of the amazing software I use on a daily basis (textmate and cssedit in particular) can be had for peanuts considering how powerful they are.

Even most of the commercial software is cheap. I use very little open source software (nothing against it, just I use whatever works better for me), but the only software that cost any amount of money (basically the only piece over the £50 mark bar iWork and OS X itself and they're all cheap for what you get anyway) is CS3 and ARD. All the rest of the amazing software I use on a daily basis (textmate and cssedit in particular) can be had for peanuts considering how powerful they are.

So true. And look at how much MS Windows and MS Office are! Noone in the PC camp ever screams about those prices. So strange. :)

So true. And look at how much MS Windows and MS Office are! Noone in the PC camp ever screams about those prices. So strange. :)

I think it's because they all just steal that junk. haha One thing I hate, being in college, is that we get Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows for free (download) or extremely cheap, at $8 (physical disc). Yet we just get pretty good discounts on Mac stuff (iWork and iLife '08 for $50). It's like they are force-feeding us Microsoft stuff here. Just kind of disappointing that my university is very much in bed with Microsoft.