macfan777

Folding@Home - Help Team Mac OS X!

Do you F@H?   5 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current status as a F@H Folder?

• I don't Fold (or I don't know what this means)
    • I plan to Fold sometime very soon
    • I currently Fold anonymously (or I don't know about Folding teams)
    • I currently Fold for Team Mac OS X (#1971)
    • I currently Fold for some other team

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

I thought this would be a good chance to bring Folding@Home to the attention of more people. For those of you who already are "in the Fold", you can ignore all but the last paragraph.

First of all, what is Folding?

From the Stanford website:

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?

Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software.

Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

What's so special about F@H Teams?

Teams are the way to show Folding pride, as well as pride for the team you're on. In this case, Team Mac OS X is obviously the team we all want to be on! F@H teams are highly competitive. Currently, Team Mac OS X is in SIXTH PLACE! Considering that there are thousands of teams, this is REALLY good. But we need your help. Team Mac OS X is in danger of falling behind several other teams due to a very recent dropoff in activity. We need the whole Mac community to get together and show the world what Macs can do!

So how do I help?

First, visit http://folding.stanford.edu and check out the info. Then, go to http://www.teammacosx.org and click the blue button labeled "Start Folding!". Download InCrease (first entry under How do I participate) and follow the rest of the instructions on their page. It's that easy!

Also, be sure to tell everyone you know who owns a Mac about this. Community involvement is the only way this works. And remember, PCs can join Team Mac OS X too. Let's get Team Mac OS X back on track!

So, tell us what your Folding status is! (mine's in my signature - I'm approaching top 200 status in Team Mac OS X! W00t!)

I first downloaded and started running the Stanford client. Then, I figured out I should run Increase so I could see something was happening, but, it doesn't work.

How do I get it to see the Stanford client? Or, I am supposed to uninstall that?

SETI@Home has a much better GUI so I may just go back to it.

InCrease can only see the command-line client. The easiest way to configure InCrease is to start with a clean installation of F@H - it has a menu item to download the latest client, and it will automatically configure it the right way if you follow the instructions. If you already have the CLI client installed, it should work properly.

I don't do any folding on my Mac, but my PS3 is folding whenever I'm not using it for anything else.

Edited by Tyranicus