Johanna

Virus, is it gone?

20 posts in this topic

My mac is going a lot slower and things that worked before now get this wired errors. Like Hulu. I could perfectly fine watch an episode of heroes, but now it freezes and wont stop buffering.

Or when I wanted to watch this youtube video that was 54 seconds short. It took 1 minute for it to load completely. Normally it would be done in seconds. I got a Macbook, by the way.

I think this started after a adult site popped up on my mac and some porgram downloded itself. I wnt into Finder and the downloaded folder and deleted the file form there and then form the trash.

But I wonder, is it completely gone now?

Can there be some other reason for the slow-ness?

I don't have many large files or do anything that should cause any problems.

Thanks.

Edited by Johanna

I don't think it's a virus. Really, or anything else 'infecting' the OS. It really doesn't happen with OS X.

Repair permissions, clean caches, reboot.

In all probability, the file that was downloaded was a Windows based "exe" file. These files will not and cannot run on Mac and therefore cannot affect your system in any way. I know this is hard for new Mac Users to understand but there really are No Viruses for the Mac ( at least not yet anyway )

" ...it downloaded itself "

can this happen? i always have to click cancel or download before it installs something?

because this sounds kinda scary. :blink:

can this happen? i always have to click cancel or download before it installs something?

Yes, in my experience if you visit malicious websites, those sites download files in the background if you have JavaScript enabled. There is nothing you can do about that than to disable JavaScript. This is why Windows users shouldn't visit such websites, nor click on links in e-mails. Mac users should already adopt this behavior for the time virus writers will target the Mac OS X operating system.

It will happen one day, that is for certain.

I don't think it's a virus. Really, or anything else 'infecting' the OS. It really doesn't happen with OS X.

Repair permissions, clean caches, reboot.

Ok, great. But how do I repair permissions?

Ok, great. But how do I repair permissions?

Use the First Aid Tab in Disk Utility. Disk Utility should be found inside the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

Thanks. I never knew about that feature.

But it didn't help about the slow down...

Thanks. I never knew about that feature.

But it didn't help about the slow down...

Regarding the 'slow down', are you referring only to internet activity (the mentioned activities are both internet-related)? If so, it is probably network-related rather than computer-related.

Does your Macbook do other things slowly now, too?

Are you doing anything else when trying to view the movies?

Who is your ISP? They may be throttling streaming traffic.

There are other possibilities, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

And, on another note -

While Ignoracious is correct that malicious websites can download stuff in background when scripting is enabled, they can't install .exe files on your Mac unless you access the web using a Windows installation of some type. Even then, they would only affect the Windows side of your machine.

I'm glad it's not going to affect my machine.

Other stuff are slow too. Like starting up iTunes or iPhoto.

I don't do anything other than safari when I watch hulu stuff, but it still freezes on me.

And the air port works just fine. Even when I plug in a ethernet cable it freezes and goes slow.

How much free space on your hard drive?

You might want to run Activity Monitor (it's in the Utilities folder, too) and see what all is happening when you're launching the video.

It could still be network related, but outside your control (your ISP throttling traffic - who is your ISP?) but that wouldn't account for iPhoto and iTunes slowdowns.

I'm leaning toward some kind of CPU bottleneck but it's really hard to tell without physical access.

Bet your Library folders are full of junk too. That can slow down macs. Also, consider upgrading the ram if you've not got 4Gb in there. It's so cheap at the moment, it's the best bang for your buck upgrade at the moment.

How much free space on your hard drive?

I'm using about 48 GB/160 GB

Bet your Library folders are full of junk too. That can slow down macs. Also, consider upgrading the ram if you've not got 4Gb in there. It's so cheap at the moment, it's the best bang for your buck upgrade at the moment.

I got the middle end withe Macbook. I'm pretty sure that one had 4 GB.

No MacBooks came with 4Gb of ram unless you specified it as a BTO option.

No MacBooks came with 4Gb of ram unless you specified it as a BTO option.

Ok, that it has 2 GB of ram.

Don't know if you are still experiencing slowdowns with your Leopard OS, but have you tried either of these free general purpose maintenance apps.?

I have used Onyx, but I now prefer Xupport. These are all in one programs which will repair permissions, empty all caches; even speed up your system, and both maintain logs of your activity for future reference. They are also easy to configure.

Here are the web site URLS:

Xupport: http://www.computer-support.ch/

Onyx: http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx_leopard.html

Hope this helps.

FYI, Macs can get viruses. As for the popups, these can be taken care of with a pop up blocker. The files can be deleted, or you can not go to sites that trigger the files/popups. If they pop up when no programs are open, then it is a malicious program and you should restore your OS.

As for the slowdowns, maintenance programs, repairing permissions, ect. can be tried. If nothing works, Reinstall OS X. That usually determines if it is a software problem or not. If it is still slow, call apple, becuase it is a hardware issue.

Any specific viruses you are referring to? Any for OS X ? If so, you just broke the story of the century.

Do you have any other applications running, such as ones that start up automatically when you turn on your Mac? If one of them is doing something very intensive, your Mac could slow down. Go to System Preferences, click Accounts, and then click Login Items. Just so you know, there are normally some things in there, such as "iTunesHelper". In mine, I have "SpeechSynthesisServer", and some google things since I have some google software on my mac. To remove an item, check it and click the - button.

Did you recently set up Time Machine? That's slowed down my Mac in the past. Try turning off Time Machine and see if your Mac speeds up.

Are you sharing your internet connection? That might slow down YouTube and Hulu, if someone else is using it with you. If you use Wi-Fi in your home, your neighbors might be accidentaly using your connection.

Hope that helps!

clear your safari caches.

i had this same issue and that cleared it right up.