Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mountainshack

Switcher can't let go

3 posts in this topic

I recently made the switch to a new 17" macbook pro and love it! I set up bootcamp with parallels desktop so I could still use all the widows software I own.

What I did was partition my Macintosh HD (320GB) into two drives. One that is approx. 200GB for Mac OS formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled) and the other as 100 GB NTFS widows drive.

I'd like to store my working files or documents on the larger Mac drive and still be able to access the information from both systems.

I have Adobe CS 4, Microsoft Office professional 2003 with 2007 MS-Office update, Autodesk Revit 2009, 2010, Autodesk Architecture 2009 2010, running on the windows side and Iwork09, Ilife09, and few other mac programs on the mac side. So far I've used approx 30GB on the Windows partition and 100GB on the MacOS Partition.

I've imported my photos into Iphoto which takes about 16GB and started to play with IMovie until I ran into space issues. (BTW where do my photos go when I import them? can I only access them thru IPhoto?)

Questions:

• Does this sound like a good set-up?
  • If I use something like MacDrive should I be able to open and save from my widows partition to the mac partition?
  • In IPhoto, where do all my photos go? can I access them from my widows Partition?
  • Can TimeMachine be set-up to back-up both partitions?

I have various external HD, what would be the best format for them to be accessed from both partitions?

Anyway, my questions are a little jumbled, but maybe you can gather the jist of my intentions.

Thanks

Tim

In IPhoto, where do all my photos go? can I access them from my widows Partition?

~/Pictures/iPhoto Library. You can view your photos in your library by secondary (right) clicking on the iPhoto Library and selecting "Show Package Contents". However, I would caution against changing the photos inside your library unless you are accessing them in iPhoto. If you mess around in there too much, you could potentially screw up iPhoto (i.e. mess up the file structure in there and "lose" files). The files wouldn't be lost, but could be inaccessible through iPhoto if you muck around too much. I tend to stay out of there unless I absolutely have to go in there, but it is possible to go in there and see your photos. In your Windows partition, if you have the ability to read your Mac partition through MacDrive, iPhoto Library looks and acts as a directory so you can access your photos through that, but you may not be able to easily find the photos you are looking for. I suggest you look in there to see the structure to get an idea of what I'm talking about, but it can be confusing. Just be careful and make sure you have a backup of your iPhoto Library before you mess around in it.

If I use something like MacDrive should I be able to open and save from my widows partition to the mac partition?

I've never used MacDrive, but by the impression that they give on their website, you'd be able to do this. Hopefully someone with experience on MacDrive can chime in, but it should work if it is what they claim it to be.

Can TimeMachine be set-up to back-up both partitions?

Time Machine will not bother backing up the Windows partition. For this, I'd recommend a Windows program that I've used in the past and that my roommate swears by, Syncback. Just scroll to the bottom of the page to get the free version to try. I like this program because it allows you to select which directories you want to back up and keeps your backup in sync. It's a bit different than Time Machine as it doesn't do multiple copies (or at least that I'm aware of) but it does a really good job at keeping your backup in sync. With that being said, I would caution you to be careful as you won't have the safety net under you; If you delete a file, and Syncback syncs, it will be deleted from your backup as well. Hopefully someone else can give a good suggestion, but Windows backup programs are pretty abysmal and I haven't found a perfect one yet. I just wish there was a SuperDuper! type of program for Windows, but alas, there is not.

Does this sound like a good set-up?

It sounds fine from my point of view. Just test MacDrive and make sure it will work for you. I know lots of people are ga-ga over MacFuse that can allow you to write to NTFS partitions (I am pretty sure Parallels installs MacFuse automatically, but MacFuse alone will not allow you to write to NTFS; However, if you are just working through Parallels, you can access and drop files to your NTFS partition, the aforementioned tip is only if you want to write to the NTFS partition without having Parallels up). I would just recommend you try this setup and see if it works for you. Just have good backups ready and if you find the setup isn't working, you can do some more research and try again. It sucks, but I've spent many hours just trying to perfect my setup. Luckily, I have mine refined as I don't use Windows except to play Counter-Strike: Source, so I just use BootCamp.

I have various external HD, what would be the best format for them to be accessed from both partitions?

If you install the tools to read/write to all the aforementioned partition types, then it won't really matter. However, by default, Mac and Windows can read AND write to FAT32 only, but I would recommend not using FAT32 unless you have to; It's an old and unreliable partitioning scheme.

Good luck and if my answers are not clear or you need me to follow up on one of them, feel free to ask. I hope you are enjoying your new machine and welcome to our community.

I'd use chronosync on your mac to back up your heathen partition. It will do the job quite nicely. I'd also recommend against allowing windows access to any of your macs files. Whilst there aren't any viruses for OS X in the wild yet (except for that iWork Trojan), it's only a matter of time. Windows remains the most targeted OS out there, so you're ditching a large part of the security that OS X offers by allowing that OS access to the raw files.