podgirl

Blu-ray

11 posts in this topic

Just curious as to how many people want to see Blu-ray capable Macs. I know some would say what's the point of watching a Blu-ray movie on a computer, but I see it another way. We just made our basement room into a media room and I've bought a few Blu-ray discs. If I wanted to take the Blu-rays with me on a trip, I wouldn't be able to play them on our computer. I don't really care, as I'd rather watch a movie on a big screen with a good sound system, but I can see how it might be important to younger people. Thoughts?

My suspicion is that the high data rate of Blu-Ray discs and the high resource utilization of playback would drain MacBook batteries pretty quickly. Plus, the DVD player software does a very good job of upscaling DVDs, even to the 17" screen. Also, many Blu-Rays come with a digital copy which is great for playback on a laptop. Overall, I just don't know if there is enough good reason to have a Blu-Ray drive in a MacBook.

The Mac Pro, iMac and Mac mini are a different story. I think they really should have Blu-Ray drives, and the Mac Pro needs a Blu-Ray burner option. Kinda seems like Apple is lagging behind a bit.

But on the other hand, the majority of Blu-Ray use is for movies. Apple has little/no interest advancing physical disc playback. They are set on having people buy movies via iTunes.

just my $.02 or 2p.

With blu-ray burning in the latest Final Cut Studio, I fully expect the next round of updates to the Mac Pro to include a blu-ray burner as at least an option. But we'd only use that for moving large files to other companies but in the day's of super fast broadband (at least in the business/enterprise area) that's largely redundant. We can shift 50Gb in a couple of hours on our leased line, so we wouldn't have any use for it.

so we wouldn't have any use for it.

Oh, I'm sure your could find a use for a Blu-Ray drive at work! Battlestar Galactica is coming out soon! :P

Isn't that what the PS3 is for? ;)

Oh, I'm sure your could find a use for a Blu-Ray drive at work! Battlestar Galactica is coming out soon! :P

Have you seen Firefly? It's a one season space western--tiding us over until Caprica starts up and much better than ABC's Defying Gravity, in my opinion.

Have you seen Firefly? It's a one season space western--tiding us over until Caprica starts up and much better than ABC's Defying Gravity, in my opinion.

Have I seen Firefly???? I consider it the best TV series ever made. Joss Whedon is a genius. Sooo disappointed the Fox canceled it.

I'm more interested in Blu-Ray as a high capacity long-term backup medium.

Let's face it - dual layer DVD doesn't really cut it with 500GB to 2TB drives :blink: I know there's Time Machine, but I think hard media is better for long term/offsite backup.

Isn't that what tapes are for?

I personally think that for local backup of Terabyte drives Blu-Ray is useless. 50 GB doesn't cut it anymore in these days. You'd need 20 of them to do a full backup, and partial backups are a pain. Backup isn't some voodoo, but a strategy to recover from a fatal data loss. If you're not able to find those B-R discs (intact), it defeats the purpose of backing up.

I could be wrong, but I think that Blu-Ray is too little too late. Torrents and newsgroups make it too easy to circumvent DRM, and there is no reason to price those discs so much higher than regular DVDs (which are overpriced anyway).

And if they "force" me to buy B-R, because it's the only format with those extra features, screw those extras. I'm not going to buy something that will be obsolete in 2 years time.

Absolutely. We use LTO3 tapes for backing up our data - at 800Gb per tape, they provide reasonable bang for our buck, and are much less fragile than HD's.