dseven313

Recover HDD Space (Previous Systems)

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am running out of HD Space on my MacBook Pro so hunted for the large file and folders !

I found a Folder called Previous System (15.5GB) Does anyone know how this folder is created or if i can remove it?

Or actually any other good HD Cleaning Ideas???

Many Thanks

James Rose

This folder happens when you do an "Archive and Install" installation of OSX. You can dump it.

You might also wanna run Monolingual to dump unused languages and architectures. Also, empty the trash in iphoto (a lot of people forget to do that part).

If you are looking to clean up your disk, a valuable tool is Disk Inventory X. The download is small--2.1MB. It will show you your disk with graphical presentation of your files so you can tell at a glance which files and/or directories take up the most space.

http://www.derlien.com/

An alternative to DiskInventory X is OmniDiskSweeper by the OmniGroup. Also free but lists the info instead of using the graphical presentation. Actually, though, each of those two apps needs to change its name since Apple recently published a support article defining "Disc" as the term for HD's and "Disk" as the term for CD/DVD/BlueRays

Click here for Article

Edited by Dolphbucs

I think you've got that the wrong way round.

Yeah, I did, just refer to the article for the correct usage. I was going by the picture on the Macworld article which has them flipped also. Pre-Senior moment I guess.