5 replies to this topic

#1 joenspa

joenspa

Uber Mac Geek

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Twitter:joehascancer

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

Does anyone know how to get a word count in Text Edit. My niece is doing a 500-700 word easy.
Thanks.

#2 Apple Geek

Apple Geek

Uber Mac Geek

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Twitter:mttjj
  • Interests:Video Games, computers, non-fiction books, astronomy, programming

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

I assume you meant 'essay', but anyway. TextEdit doesn't appear to have a word counter. I'm sure you've probably thought of this but you could use Pages - it has a word count in the 'Get Info' window. If that's not available, I also found this website that you will tell you a word count: Link. She could just copy and paste her essay every so often to check the word count.

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

#3 MacCast

MacCast

King Mac Geek

• Root Admin
  • 1,179 posts
  • Twitter:maccast

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

You can get that by selecting the text and using the "Statistics..." option in the Services menu. If you are running Snow Leopard you can enable it via the Keyboard Shortcuts tab under the Keyboard System Preferences. It's in the Services category under the Text section.

Attached File  stats_service.jpg   56.97K   2 downloads

What's cool is the service should work in all Cocoa apps, like Safari.

Attached File  word_count.jpg   23.38K   2 downloads

#4 andrewldownie

andrewldownie

New Mac Geek

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

You can get that by selecting the text and using the "Statistics..." option in the Services menu. If you are running Snow Leopard you can enable it via the Keyboard Shortcuts tab under the Keyboard System Preferences. It's in the Services category under the Text section.

Attached File  stats_service.jpg   56.97K   2 downloads

What's cool is the service should work in all Cocoa apps, like Safari.

Attached File  word_count.jpg   23.38K   2 downloads

Where exactly is this statistics menu? I'm running Snow Leopard and it is not within the preference pane you suggest - could it have moved or been renamed?

#5 Apple Geek

Apple Geek

Uber Mac Geek

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Twitter:mttjj
  • Interests:Video Games, computers, non-fiction books, astronomy, programming

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

Where exactly is this statistics menu? I'm running Snow Leopard and it is not within the preference pane you suggest - could it have moved or been renamed?

Adam mentioned on one of his later shows that this was actually something that he downloaded a long time ago and forgot that it wasn't built in. It is a service bundle called "WordService 2.7" and it is from DEVONtechnologies. You can download it near the bottom of the page here. It's free and the instructions should tell you how to enable it in Snow Leopard.

#6 andrewldownie

andrewldownie

New Mac Geek

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

Adam mentioned on one of his later shows that this was actually something that he downloaded a long time ago and forgot that it wasn't built in. It is a service bundle called "WordService 2.7" and it is from DEVONtechnologies. You can download it near the bottom of the page here. It's free and the instructions should tell you how to enable it in Snow Leopard.

Great stuff - many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users