haivu

Please help: screen locked up after sleep

9 posts in this topic

I am posting this for a friend: his MacBook Pro is running either Leopard or Snow Leopard and is connected to an external monitor in mirroring mode. Before leaving for a meeting, he closed the laptop's lid, yanked out all cables and took the laptop to the meeting room. Upon opening the lid, he found a black screen with the mouse pointer, but nothing else. I tried to press a few keys, but they all result in a beep. I tried the power button to no avail. My friend Tim said this situation is happening very often. Is there any suggestion we should try to troubleshoot the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Have you tried plugging it back into the external monitor? (My thought here is that the Mac thinks it is displaying content on the external monitor, but just a guess)

Is the battery removable? If it is, you can remove power and maybe get back to a reboot possibility.

Have you tried plugging it back into the external monitor? (My thought here is that the Mac thinks it is displaying content on the external monitor, but just a guess)

Is the battery removable? If it is, you can remove power and maybe get back to a reboot possibility.

Yes, we did try to plug the laptop to the power source and the external monitor, but it did not help. The battery is not removable.

Edited by haivu

Yes, we did try to plug the laptop to the power source and the external monitor, but it did not help. The battery is not removable.

Did you try to hold down the power button for several seconds until you hear the MacBook power down? At that point you should be able to restart it (without the external monitor attached) and get a startup screen. My MacBook pro doesn't like waking from sleep with an external monitor attached, sometime I have to hit the "escape" button to get it to respond to the external monitor post sleep. If all else fails you can try to restart with a system disk in the disk drive...

Did you try to hold down the power button for several seconds until you hear the MacBook power down? At that point you should be able to restart it (without the external monitor attached) and get a startup screen. My MacBook pro doesn't like waking from sleep with an external monitor attached, sometime I have to hit the "escape" button to get it to respond to the external monitor post sleep. If all else fails you can try to restart with a system disk in the disk drive...

This is the only way we can deal with this problem so far: power down, then back up.

This is the only way we can deal with this problem so far: power down, then back up.

My thinking is that the MacBook pro is not fully in "sleep" before he yanks out the cables. Does it act differently if he puts it to sleep via the Apple menu and then takes out the cables? How about if he waits for 20 seconds after closing the lid before cable removal?

My thinking is that the MacBook pro is not fully in "sleep" before he yanks out the cables. Does it act differently if he puts it to sleep via the Apple menu and then takes out the cables? How about if he waits for 20 seconds after closing the lid before cable removal?

Hi again. I just tried this with my MacBook Pro. I put to sleep by closing the lid, waited for the "apple" to go dark, unplugged my external monitor and all other cables and tried to wake my machine back up - got nothing but a black screen! Plugged it all back in and hie the escape key and after a few seconds everything came back to where I was when I yanked the cables. It is kind of slow so maybe he just didn't wait long enough...

Waiting the the "apple logo to go dark" isn't an indicator of sleep. The mac isn't asleep until the power light starts pulsing. It can take quite a long time to go to sleep if you have lots of ram (2gb+) as it has to write the sleepimage to hard disk - this is the entire contents of your ram (used in case of power failure during sleep).

I have a similar thing on my iMac. I'm still not sure what's causing it, I had the suspicion that it was the bluetooth mouse sitting in the hot-corner for screen blanking.

In any case, the solution is to put it to sleep again via keyboard (cmd+alt+eject) or power button. When it wakes up again, the monitor is back ... at least on my machine.