Graham

So, who are you?

17 posts in this topic

As I approach my 3000th post (god I need to stop wasting so much time on here), it occurred to me that although I've been speaking to some of you for several years, I know precious little about you all, so I thought it was time to change that. Tell me a little about yourselves!

I'll start:

I'm 24, and I'm the IT manager for the Damien Hirst group of companies (the artist who is most famous for making spot and spin paintings and preserving animals in formaldehyde). I'm happily co-habiting with my long suffering missus who long ago accepted that she will have to share me with my "other women" (my Xserves). I'm what you'd call a rabid apple fanboy, even going so far as to have the power button from a macbook pro tattooed to my leg. I make no apologies for my fanboy-ness.

When I'm not poking away at apple stuff, I have a season ticket for Norwich City FC, and in the summer will most likely be found in my back yard attempting a BBQ in the wonderful British weather.

That will do for now. Looking forward to getting to know some of you better!

hey, why not.

I'm 26 and I live in America. Virginia to be more specific. I'm the owner and Sr Engineer of Mac Network Consulting. We do Mac support (primarily servers) for small and mid-size businesses in Northern Virginia and the Washington DC area.

I've been married to my wonderful wife for 2 years. She puts up with my obsession over cars (specifically Suabru) and hockey (specifically Philadelphia Flyers). Also, I play some guitar in the little spare time I have.

THANKS for being here, Graham! You're often the person I think of when I see or have a question.

Anyway, I'll share -

I'm 56. Live in Minnesota (which isn't nearly as bad in the winter as purported) and a fanboy of Apple, Harleys and the Nebraska Cornhusker athletics (college athletics). I follow local pro sports, too, but not as passionately as I did in my youth. I work for a local government agency managing a systems support group and doing data analysis. Since there are no Macs in my work environment, I also have a fairly good Windows knowledge base and am THAT guy at the pub who everyone asks any question about computers or anything else technical. I can't always answer but it's pretty rare when I can't do a little research and come up with some helpful advice.

I spend a LOT of time riding one of my Harleys (I have a 19+ year stretch of at least one ride per calendar month in Minnesota) and watching/discussing sports. All in all, much of life is very interesting and so most people would describe me as eclectic.

49, Live in Rochester, NY ( up until last year at this time I spent the last 22 years in Bradenton, FL ( Tampa Area ) ). I first got into computers in 1981 when I took my first programming courses at SUNY Geneseo using a mainframe Burroughs 6800 computer and the CANDE ( pronounced candy ) Operating System. At first, we didn't even use CRT's ... we entered programs through punch cards, or in the case of APL, a teletype terminal. I learned FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC and APL, as well as rudimentary assembly language on the first 8086 processor chips. I learned quickly enough to become a consultant in the school's computer center and had quite the knack for debugging code ( especially COBOL ). At that time I also owned one of the first TRS-80 Color Computers ( it had a whopping 4K of RAM and loaded programs vis cassette tape ).

I left college ( no degree ) to pursue a career in the music industry. We had a band and several bigtime connections so we thought our chances were great. Our lead guitarist and I eventually split off from the band to form a Duo and were in the process of talking with Sonny Limbo ( writer of Midnight Train to Georgia and manager/producer of Bertie Higgins ( Key Largo ) and the Lowry Group when Sonny passed away in Tampa around 1990. The music industry is fickle and once you lose your contact ( especially when you are starting out ) you are dead in the water so we formed a moving company ( Moving Concepts Inc. ) which specialized in relocating the elderly into retirement homes. I got back into computers in the early 90's with my first modern machine being a 386SX Packard Bell running Windows 3.0.

Then in about 1999 I discovered a cable channel called TechTV and a gentleman by the name of Leo Laporte. I joined his forums and my knowledge of "modern computing" began. Shortly after the demise of TechTV, I had the opportunity to begin working the Olympic Games as a contractor for Kodak providing Tech Support to the accredited photographers ...the first games I worked being the Athens games of 2004. This just happened to coincide with the timeframe of when Leo Laporte was starting Call For Help 2.0 in Canada. In the chat of his radio show we began discussing his getting ready to travel to Canada for the first time at the same time I was preparing for Athens and that started an online correspondence which continues to this day. I've never met the man, but he knows me well enough ( as Dolphbucs ) to have made me a chat mod for his Stickam Chat feed when he first started TWiT Live and he always personally returns my e-mails. During this period ( Feb 2006 ) I made the switch over to Mac mainly due to the prodding of those I worked with at the Olympics but also helped by hearing Leo talk about Macs so much.

Then in May of 2009, the economic downturn took its toll on our moving company. That coupled with the experience of finding my brother's neighbor dead at the side of his home while I was up for a visit prompted me to make the move back to Rochester, where my family lives. Not currently employed, but with several decent leads in the Tech Industry. Sorry to be so long winded, but this sounds lots better than simply posting " Living in Rochester and looking for work ". LOL

Edited by Dolphbucs

Can I add some stuff about me here? I don't want to barge in - I am still fairly new to the forum.

I'm 14, lives in Loughborough, UK and until recently used the ancient Windows XP desktop that I shared with my family. One day when I was browsing the Internet on it I discovered Macs. I was hooked. I wanted one, and I saved up for ages to get one. I got my MacBook for Christmas 2009, and I'm never going back to Windows :P I love the Mac and everything about it. I've become a right fanboy and can't bear to use the old Windows XP desktops at my high school! :D

Other than loving Apple and their products, I love cycling, music, swimming, and pretty much what it says on the left :P. I wish I had a Giant or Trek mountain bike and a nice racing bike too, and one day I hope I get both of them, but until then I'm riding base and mid-range mountain bikes :( I used to swim for a club, but it wasn't very fair how they chose gala teams so I've started going to the pool on my own recreationally. I love it and maybe one day I might go back to club swimming, as I love the galas.

I also love writing and would love to become a journalist one day.

Anyway, enough boring stuff about me, I'm sure no one cares :P

I hope no one minds me adding stuff to this thread, I know it's a bit old.

Edited by R94N

No, R94N. I don't want to speak for Graham but I'm sure he intended this thread for all members of the forum ... new and old. It always helps to know the background of each other and each post here is equally valuable. Glad to have you aboard.

Of course, we're all fighting the good fight against crappy MS operating systems! (christ I hate my windows server. More trouble than my 10 other mac servers put together)

I'm taking IT for GCSE and I'm beginning to regret it if I'm going to do a whole year of work on Windows XP... :L I just love using the Mac so much more and stuff always works!

Edited by R94N

Just wait until you do a computing degree. I was a leper with their tech guys. Had to argue to get it put onto the network.

Sure why not...

i'm 36, living in Michigan (USA), and a musician. Currently i teach general music, and direct some adult performing groups, but i don't get much chance to play my dominant instrument that much. My wife and i are both Apple fans (she longer than me) so it is no trouble convincing her to get gadgets :)

i don't post much on these forums, but i lurk here a lot. i try to chirp in whenever i see some on asking about recording or sound/mic issues.

Sure why not...

i'm 36, living in Michigan (USA), and a musician. Currently i teach general music, and direct some adult performing groups, but i don't get much chance to play my dominant instrument that much. My wife and i are both Apple fans (she longer than me) so it is no trouble convincing her to get gadgets :)

i don't post much on these forums, but i lurk here a lot. i try to chirp in whenever i see some on asking about recording or sound/mic issues.

Cool, I think there's a lot of musicians that have Macs - my music teacher included :D They seem to be ideal for this kind of thing.

Seems to be a lot of us, yes. i think it's because we don't have to fight with the computer whenever we'd like to make music :)

The Maccast was the first podcast I downloaded on my shiny new 2nd gen iPod. I've been an Apple fan since I played with my first computer - an Apple IIe in the early 80s. If you're interested in such things, you can read about my love of Apple on my blog, the post is called The Cult of Mac:

http://bebetoocool.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/the-cult-of-mac

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand with my lovely soon-to-be husband and his 10-year-old daughter. I have an 18-year-old daughter who just left home, a 21-year-old son, and a lovely daughter-in-law, who have a 20-month-old baby and another on the way (due next month!). I love being a Nana :)

By trade, I'm an educational designer, which means I help organizations make kick-ass educational products for their students/customers/clients. I get to work on all sorts of diverse jobs like design training materials for anything from automotive engineers, to midwives and international exporters. Occasionally I get to do really cool stuff like design e-learning content for NZSAS (Special Armed Services) inductees in the style of the game Call of Duty :)

I like to spend my spare time running (I listen to Adam to keep the boredom at bay), playing Futsal (like indoor soccer), and my new fave, ice hockey. I'm half way through my first season, having just learned to skate this year. The rest of my time is spent playing with my numerous Apple toys :D

Edited by bebe33

Nice blog you have there :)

Thanks, I enjoy writing it :)

Hey Graham congrats on breaking 3,000. You often answer my posts so I thought I would let you know who you are helping.

My name is Joe I live in Kennesaw, GA USA. I'm 47, married with 2 kids of my own and 2 stepsons.

I am an audio professional. I use to install equipment into recording studios around the US. In 1996 when the Olympics came to Atlanta I got involved in audio for TV. Now I travel the world as a technician installing and operating what they call commentary audio equipment. I have a rig which includes a G4 laptop that mixes audio for the international feeds. These feeds go out to the internet and stream the foreign languages around the world. That particular job I do for the Super Bowl (American football) and for the NBA (basketball) at their Finals and All Star game. Presently I am in Guangzhou, China working on the Asian Games. In between these international jobs I still do a little studio work which these days always involves Macs.

I've been on Macs and Apples since my Mac Plus. I now own way to many Macs and my wife can't understand why I keep the olds one when I get a new one.

I like using my Apple products. Meaning I'm more into using them for things than I am knowing how they work. ie I use Rapidweaver and try not to know any more html than I need to.

Hope you enjoy the insight into someone you have helped many times. Thanks so much.

Joe