El Digit

Convert existing user to Membership user?

6 posts in this topic

I'm finally getting around to supporting the show by signing up for a membership.

I have an existing username that gets me logged in to the forum, but the membership signup process seems to assume I have no account at all. It asks me to re-enter my info and choose a new user name. Shouldn't I be able to sign in with my existing Maccast Forum username and add a membership to that account?

What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

The forum and the membership for downloading the extra podcasts aren't related.

You already have a forum membership by virtue of signing up way back when and getting approved. That's evidenced by your ability to post

And, I've already forgotten the process for the membership that gets one the extra podcasts. Sorry, maybe Adam can/will explain it better.

Thanks Huskermn. I'm not saying the process for extra podcasts is difficult to understand. Your clarification that the two are unrelated is helpful.

So to clarify, the Forum login is my "public-facing" user, and the extra Podcast Membership login is simply for private use to make payment and get the extra feed?

I'd be curious to know to why there is not a relationship between the two memberships. Seems like there might be some synergies for users and for the business side of the Maccast.

So to clarify, the Forum login is my "public-facing" user, and the extra Podcast Membership login is simply for private use to make payment and get the extra feed?

Yeah, I think so, although Adam would know best, since he created it :)

I'd be curious to know to why there is not a relationship between the two memberships. Seems like there might be some synergies for users and for the business side of the Maccast.

Well, the forum was created first, and it's probably easier to create a separate system just for the memberships rather than merging the two, again, Adam will probably have his own reasons for this.

Thanks Huskermn. I'm not saying the process for extra podcasts is difficult to understand. Your clarification that the two are unrelated is helpful.

I can't say absolutely why there is no relationship, but my guess is that the software involved is not all that compatible. The forum is IP Board software. I have no idea what Adam uses for the Members piece but it's not 'linked' to the Board software and I don't know how it would integrate, if it can.

I can't say absolutely why there is no relationship, but my guess is that the software involved is not all that compatible. The forum is IP Board software. I have no idea what Adam uses for the Members piece but it's not 'linked' to the Board software and I don't know how it would integrate, if it can.

Yeah, probably. I would like Adam's opinion on this though, if he is around and not too busy...