joenspa

HP J6480 All In One can't scan

6 posts in this topic

Every time I try to scan with my HPJ6480 it gives me "Sorry, an unknown error has occured". It's hooked up via USB through a hub. I had this problem before and was ready to go buy another printer/scanner when HP came out with a software update. Everything worked great after that. Problem is I don't remember if that was before or after I upgraded to 10.6.8. Any one else having issues with HP?

Thanks.

Hi!

I'm new to the forum but I have an old (several years) HP 7200 all in one printer and as soon as snowy came out the scanner did not work on my HP. Turns out - you do the scanning in PREVIEW! It doesn't have the same look as the HP but try this:

Open Preview.

Click file>import fromscanner >include networked devices and then you should be able to see your printer (mine is through the time capsule hub) just click scan

Preview will open up a new window with some controls on the side - pretty good ones, tell you the scanner is warming up then get going . The preview help and also on line help (google preview scanning) is pretty good. I don't scan much so I always have to look up stuff to remember how to save things, especiallly if you have a multi page scan you can scan all to one document (but I forget how to do that every time!).

Hope this helps.

TTM

Every time I try to scan with my HPJ6480 it gives me "Sorry, an unknown error has occured". It's hooked up via USB through a hub. I had this problem before and was ready to go buy another printer/scanner when HP came out with a software update. Everything worked great after that. Problem is I don't remember if that was before or after I upgraded to 10.6.8. Any one else having issues with HP?

Thanks.

I have had luck getting older scanners who's drivers are no longer being updated working by using TWAIN and the SANE project drivers:

http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/

These should work on pre-Lion systems and they have a BIG list of supported scanners (http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html). The installation is a bit involved as there are 4 binaries to install (3 required, 1 optional). Install the libusb and the sane-backends binary packages and then install the TWAIN SANE Interface package. Optionally you can install the SANE Preference Pane package, which makes it easier to configure the sane-backends drivers. Without the Preference pane you'll need to use a text editor in the Terminal to tweak the configurations.

I mention the TWAIN SANE solution mainly because I've got it to work and it's free. Once installed you can use Apple's built-in Image Capture program to make scans.

If you want an even easier solution and are willing to spend a few dollars ($39.95 standard or $79.95 Pro), then get VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/). It's Lion compatible and also has a HUGE list of supported scanners (http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported).

Hi!

I'm new to the forum but I have an old (several years) HP 7200 all in one printer and as soon as snowy came out the scanner did not work on my HP. Turns out - you do the scanning in PREVIEW! It doesn't have the same look as the HP but try this:

Open Preview.

Click file>import fromscanner >include networked devices and then you should be able to see your printer (mine is through the time capsule hub) just click scan

Preview will open up a new window with some controls on the side - pretty good ones, tell you the scanner is warming up then get going . The preview help and also on line help (google preview scanning) is pretty good. I don't scan much so I always have to look up stuff to remember how to save things, especiallly if you have a multi page scan you can scan all to one document (but I forget how to do that every time!).

Hope this helps.

TTM

As Ed McMann used to say, "You are correct!" Thanks. Not as convenient as it use to be but definitely not what I would call inconvenient. Thanks!

These should work on pre-Lion systems and they have a BIG list of supported scanners (http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html). The installation is a bit involved as there are 4 binaries to install (3 required, 1 optional). Install the libusb and the sane-backends binary packages and then install the TWAIN SANE Interface package. Optionally you can install the SANE Preference Pane package, which makes it easier to configure the sane-backends drivers. Without the Preference pane you'll need to use a text editor in the Terminal to tweak the configurations.

I mention the TWAIN SANE solution mainly because I've got it to work and it's free. Once installed you can use Apple's built-in Image Capture program to make scans.

Thanks, but you are obviously way smarter than me. At least for now.

So I'm back with HP J6480 issues. This printer had been working great. I was away for a month, and think I did a system update while I was gone, plus I bought a new Time Capsule before leaving. Now I can do 1 print job then I have to go and delete the printer, reload the printer. Print once, delete printer, reload printer. Frustrating to say the least.

The vitals are;

HP J6480 using it via wifi on a home network

Airport Time Capsule 7.7.3

MacBook Air 2011 running 10.9.4

I have tried looking for Software updates but nothing shows. Any ideas? As always your help is much appreciated.

Update: It appears the problem is between the Time Capsule and the printer. This issue is the same on all 3 computers in my house. The computers can see the printer till I try to print and then they all say the printer is busy.

Edited by joenspa