Huskermn

iOS5 - Do you have it, does it work?

9 posts in this topic

Twitter was full of nightmare problems with upgrading yesterday, so I haven't done it on my iPad or iPhone yet. Has anyone been successful or should I just wait for a few days or even for 5.1?

The errors look like they were web-related. I recon apple's server's went down (again!). If you give it a go in a day or so, it should be fine.

Thanks, Graham. I did go ahead and download successfully. Now I have a new dilemma. My main machine has issues which don't allow me to update the OS on iDevices. I'd forgotten that I used my partners Air to do recent updates. That would be fine except when I went to update the iPad to 5 it said it would only retain X amount of stuff and I should do the update from my Sync machine. Since I can't do that I'm trying to figure out if I can a) Restore other stuff from backup or B) Care.

Thoughts appreciated

Hay guys have you had time to work with iCloud? I just updated to iOS 5 and set up iCloud. When I backed up the first time it used up almost all my 5 gigs. How do I clear it out? Thanks guys.

three things that I like:

1) mail doesn't f-r-e-e-z-e like it did. it was slightly better if I turned off Spotlight indexing for Mail. after upgrading it's fast with or without that tweak.

2) I can delete a song from a playlist! but I still cannot delete a song. grr. please, for the next release, let me delete the garbage I never want to hear again.

3) the camera is better. the chimp feature is nice. however, the camera is still not as good as my 4 year old Canon SD750.

Edited by johnfoster

Turned out that using the Air to update worked just fine. On the iPhone, when I plugged it into my main machine it automatically restored everything from the backup I created by syncing right before I did the update. The iPad didn't wipe anything out during the update so it's just fine.

Now to start really exploring features.

I was initially confused about how to zoom with the new Camera app and found the focus lock, which is handy. Pinch to zoom is pretty cool, too.

How do I send a iMessage rather than a regular text?

Digging iOS5 so far.

1. Love the wireless sync. This might be my favorite feature.

2. Reminders is awesome. Syncing to dos have been a real pain to me. Previously i've been using a different app that required a whole different set of calendars just for to do items. Clunky. i'm also liking the GPS reminders feature. had fun playing with them yesterday.

3. Haven't played with the new camera yet, but i have been looking forward to the quick jump from the home screen to the camera, and the new shutter button.

Husker, i believe that the message app will automatically send as imessage unless the receiver is not on an iOS device. That's the impression i got from poking around in the setting tab for it on the iPhone.

My question is notifications. i remember from the keynote way back when that you were supposed to be able to clear out notifications without going into the individual apps. Haven't figured out how yet.

Husker, i believe that the message app will automatically send as imessage unless the receiver is not on an iOS device. That's the impression i got from poking around in the setting tab for it on the iPhone.

You are correct. I tested it. There is a visual cue in the message app, too. iMessages have blue info and regular texts have green.

Stanza doesn't work. in otherwords iOS5 broke my book. not happy.