kwsanders

Mountain Lion

15 posts in this topic

OK... has anyone bit the bullet this morning and pulled down Mountain Lion from the App Store?

I am NOT in any hurry to upgrade to Steve Kitty or Empty Kitty as I've decided to call this version. I have been a pioneer way too many times in my career and with OS upgrades at least, I wait until everyone else gets arrows and reports in on where the hostile natives lay in wait.

there are three trends no wait, FIVE things that I am NOT looking forward experiencing as I skipped the last upgrade entirely:

1) the gray-i-fi-cation of user interface. I like the color icons and I really don't like how everything looks dimmed or disabled.

2) Mail has to get de-fuxor'd to be usable. it just turning off, off, off a few settings to make it look like it's always looked.

3) some features don't get better. hello Automator why aren't you more awesome? upside down trackpad can be upside right'd with a check box but for how long?

4) Empty Kitty breaks Time Machine support to my DIY 10 Terabyte server. GRRRR-ROAR. this is such a big issue that I won't upgrade until I can upgrade NAS4free or FreeNAS to a newerest version.

5) did I mention that waiting for the dust to settle is ALWAYS a good idea? let's hear from the Adobe kids on what problems they have before moving. or any other app that is crtitical to making money.

what I have today is working. so until there is a feature that I have to have or am required to have because of a client or jorb my OS will remain at 10.6.8. have fun with your new kitty…

Edited by johnfoster

i bit the bullet last night and downloaded it. i'm willing to guinea pig during my slow season. So far not a bad experience. i'll have all today to try various apps. First impressions...

Download took about an hour and a half. Install initially failed with the message "could not be installed because the disk is damaged and could not be repaired". Odd because the drive is new as of last December. i ran tech tool and found nothing wrong. Retried and it installed fine. After install apps ran VERY slow, but this was likely due to Spotlight reindexing. Today there is no performance issue with apps starting slow.

Safari seems to load pages slower, but that could be me. Everything else pops up quickly. More as i experiment.

I started the download right before going to bed last night also. I got a new 750 gig hybrid drive and 8 gig of ram in today, so late this evening, I put the new drive into the FireWire 800 enclosure that I bought and installed Mountain Lion to it. After moving over all my data files from the old drive, I installed the new drive and ram upgrade into my MacBook Pro.

I am liking it so far. It is fast. Of course, the new hybrid drive doesn't hurt either.

I had no choice, as it's kinda my job to test these things. It's ok. The new wallpapers are the best bit. Notification centre is annoying, I wish I could work a way to get it out of my menubar.

Nope! I still get glitches in Lion.

I have only seen one problem so far. That was an issue in Mail.app when I opened a threaded conversation and the display in the reading area went wacky. There were a lot of digital artifacts. It eventually cleared itself up and I have not seen it happen since that one time.

So far so good. Haven't noticed and glitches with software beyond one annoying thing. My first impressions....

iWork stuff finally works the way i always wanted it. No trouble moving documents between my mac and iCloud. Started a letter on the iPad, finished on the mac and moved it from icloud to the mac without issue.

Safari 6 seems quite a bit faster than earlier versions. Going to take some getting used to not seeing a URL and Search box, but that's not a big deal.

Logic, Sibelius, and SmartScore don't have any trouble at all.

Scanning is the only issue. Just bought an HP laserjet 100 a few weeks ago, and under lion the scanning was really fast. Upgrading to Mountain Lion scanning has slowed to a snail's pace. Hopefully this will work itself out.

Actually, in trying to solve the scanner issue i did something stupid, and now i have a clean install of Mac OS, but that's for a different thread.

I like having Notes on the Mac now, especially with the iCloud integration. I typed in several items my wife needed from the grocery into Notes and pulled it up on my phone when I got to the store to pick up the items. That was nice.

Did you notice that RSS support has been removed from Safari 6?

Any of you guys tried the dictation feature yet ? That's the only thing I might want to check out in 10.8

Just tried it for you. So far it doesn't work very well at all. Neither session (i did two) was even close to what i said. The results, however, were pretty funny.

The dictation does not happen on your Mac. It takes place on Apple's own servers, just like Siri.

Ceoltoir, did you use the built -in mic on the Mac or a headset mic ? I wonder if background noise picked up by the built in mics would be an issue.

Built in. i'll try something more robust later today and report back.

Used my recording rig to try out dictation. Results were moderately better. i noticed that if you try to use vocal pauses such as "ummm" or "ah" it doesn't catch it and they screw up the entire translation around it.