Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
work and turn

Cloud Storage for working in a group -SOLVED and johnfoster is RIGHT

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, Im back once again hoping someone can help me.

Basically Im working on a small freelance project with 3 friends. This is a strictly outside of work project but we all need access to files inside of work time.

So I / we need:

Password protection

Easy to use

Mac and PC compatible

First 6 months 2 GB storage

1 - 2 years up to 4/5 GB

Reasonably priced considering it's not much storage

Ive tried services like zip cloud, jungle disk, sugar sync, google drive and box and none of them are really what I want for various reasons. Please note I added reasonably priced to the list because places like rackspace offer this service for $4 per month, per user, but that works out at $16 per month for 2 GB of storage !!!

Right now Im thinking that my FTP is the easiest thing to use but just wondered if Im being stupid because it surprises me there's not a service out there for a reasonable price. Imagine if you just want to swap some word files, $16 per month, it's insane...

I would make a single dropbox account and share the login with everyone. free-ish.

Hi John

We tried Dropbox and sugarsync, I like that fact that for free sugarsync shares a folder amongst different users, the only thing I didnt like was that it left a folder on my work computer or I had to access the website to download files. Im thinking that I TrueCrypt could be used to protect the files but having never used it I have no idea if it will work on files on both the mac and PC, have you had any experience with it ?

Other than that I liked the idea of an FTP as it's quick and the files are easily accessible, yesterday I saw iwebftp and couldnt believe they were trying to charge £16 per month for 1GB, it's just ridiculous what people are trying to charge for storage when you can pay $60 a year to back up TBs worth of files with services like mozy or carbonite !

Well scrap that, today randomly I opened up transit on my mac to grab something off of the FTP and noticed that it can do Amazon S3 accounts, I originally discounted Amazon S3 as I didn't want to have to transfer my files through their web interface so I was pleasantly surprised that transit comes with integrated access (Fetch doesn't).

Having quickly set it up today, Ive added 3 users with different permission, all with their own log ins and left my myself as admin. Transit works extremely well, all log ins worked seconds after setting them up and transfers are quick. Price is $0.12 a GB so for the first year it'll cost me just over a dollar. No other service come close to this.

The next step will be to try the free PC client to make sure that works but knowing that Amazon is a reliable company Im sure it will work just fine.

> what I didnt like was that it left a folder on my work computer…

which is a BIG problem. don't do your freelance work at your work. that's just dumb. and you are opening yourself up to bigger issues. unless you have an arrangement to do that kind of thing you should keep things very seperate. remember, even though it's what you use at work, it's not your computer. everything on it is owned by your employer. you want to be careful with any kind of intellectual property (idea, code, plans, discussion) as technology companies put a "rights to own IP" in an employment agreement. the idea is that "you would not have thought of that idea if you were not working for us. so whatever you thought of is ours." if you leave any trace of that on a computer it will be difficult to prove that you didn't come up with your project on your own long after you left.

Agreed, there's 2 issue here though.

1 - I work in Spain and we have a 2 hour lunch break which is impossibly long and you finish at 7 / 7:30pm so starting a project at 8:30pm at home isn't practical especially when you got to cook the diner.

2 - In this case it's just some reference images from the internet to work from at home so anyone would have a hard time proving the work is company owned when it's just freely available images via google.

Overall that's why I wanted a secure place to leave this stuff so that my things were stored safely away from prying eyes but truthfully I agree that if you can help it you should never mix the 2, sometimes it's difficult not to though.