Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ron in KY

Airport Express can it do this?

3 posts in this topic

I was wondering I have a wireless network in the home, and I have a device that doesn't have a wireless option but requires a ethernet cable plugged into it, and the location of the device is not close enough to the wireless router that I can run a ethernet cable from the router to the device, So I was wondering if I plug an airport express next to my device, can it receive the wifi signal and allow a device plugged in wire to the express ethernet jack to have a hardwire internet connection?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. You're still probably going to get 'Wi-Fi' speeds since it's not directly connected to the modem but if you don't care about speed (that much) and you just need the wired connection, it certainly looks possible.

EDIT: A quick Google search brought up many results of people making this work.

I've just utilised a first generation 802.11g model to connect two Macs (with AirPort turned off) to the Internet via a Netgear 5-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch with each being wired into the switch and the APX being connected to an AirPort Extreme via WDS. (For the record the two Macs are Mac minis - one Late 2006 and the other Mid 2007 - both of which have poor AirPort capability.) Not quite the same but proof nonetheless.