mrstucci

Podcasts listed on Apple TV that were deleted long ago...SOLVED.

11 posts in this topic

Hi-strange issue here..... Yesterday I was setting up my new AppleTV 3 and took a look at my podcasts. Listed there were the current ones that I subscribe to but there were also several podcasts that I deleted many, many months ago. I cannot find these podcasts within iTunes to delete. I did a Spotlight search and nothing came up. Where could they be and how do I get rid of them?? Thanks for any help, Judy

I have a 1st Gen Apple TV so this might not work. In iTunes, click on the Apple TV device, then go into the Podcasts tab and uncheck the podcasts in question.

I guess I don't really understand. In iTunes, I do not see my Apple TV listed anywhere. I have my iPhone and iPad listed but not my Apple TV......

That makes me think you haven't setup Home Sharing.

To set up Home Sharing in iTunes:

Open iTunes on your computer. Choose Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing. Enter your Apple ID and password, and then click Create Home Share. Repeat steps 1 through 3 on each computer you want to use for Home Sharing.

For information about iTunes, open iTunes and choose Help > iTunes Help.

To set up Home Sharing on Apple TV:

On Apple TV, choose Settings > Computers. Choose Turn On Home Sharing, and then enter the same Apple ID and password you entered on your computer.

Hi-no, Home Sharing is turned on on my Mac and on the Apple TV. When I select one of the podcasts that I no longer subscribe to but is still listed on the Apple TV, it says that an error occurred when loading the content. I don't see a way to delete those podcasts through the Apple TV. I don't see them listed in iTunes anywhere to delete them there.

Let me see if I understand. Are you saying there are podcast "ghosts" on the AppleTV of podcasts that aren't anywhere else in the chain?

I guess that's a good way to describe it-they are ghosts. They are not in my iTunes on my Mac. In fact a couple of the podcasts I unsubscribed from a long time ago. I don't know where else to look for them. I did a Spotlight search for them and nothing came up. Very strange. Judy

i had this exact same problem on my first generation AppleTV. Drove me NUTS. The work around seemed at the time to involve resetting the AppleTV to factory settings.

Barring that i wonder if that information is stored in a .plist or other file cache causing them to show up when they don't really exist.

Oh, so it's not just an Apple TV3 thing! Good to know. Will reset it to factory settings and see if that does the trick. Thanks for posting. It's nice to know that I am not alone..... ;-)

Just reset my Apple TV. Put in my Apple ID and password and the old, deleted podcasts are STILL THERE!!! I can't believe it! Ugh.

I fixed it! I found a thread in Apple Discussions that mentioned a Doug's Script called Track Shift. It's in the App Store. Bought it ($1.99) and installed it, ran it and checked my Apple TV..... Podcasts are GONE!!! Yea! I feel much better now..... ;-) :rolleyes: