Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bebe33

Facebook won't load in any browser

6 posts in this topic

I have the most annoying and frustrating problem. Facebook won't load pages on my Mac - not in Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

It sometimes loads initially, but then after a couple of page clicks, stops loading. If I quit the browser and restart, I can get another couple of page views in before I have to start again. The pages just hang, blank and loading, forever. It's infuriating.

It affects no other webpage, and is not a problem for any other Mac in the house. I have java and flash installed (just re-installed them recently).

I'm running OS10.8.3 and Safari 6.0.4

Help!? It drives me nuts!

Bebe

Have you tried clearing all cache? Also, setup another account on your Mac via Accounts preferences. Login to that account and see if your problems stop. Having a fresh, untarnished account has helped me often. If it works without issue there then it's not the browser per se.

I just checked because I just 86'd it from my life. there still isn't anything important there so consider yourself lucky that it doesn't work.

Hmm, yeah not too helpful. If I 86'd FB I'd lose contact with my entire dispersed family, who I connect with everyday in this medium.

Same goes for an a array of community organisations I'm involved it - cheaper than building a website, and gives groups the ability to easily build an online community.

My ice hockey club and my roller derby club both use FB extensively. It's perfect for this level of organisation. I neeeeeeeed it!

I just checked because I just 86'd it from my life. there still isn't anything important there so consider yourself lucky that it doesn't work.

So far I've cleared cache and reinstalled the browsers fresh. Good thinking to set up a new account, that will be my next step. Thank you, very helpful!

Have you tried clearing all cache? Also, setup another account on your Mac via Accounts preferences. Login to that account and see if your problems stop. Having a fresh, untarnished account has helped me often. If it works without issue there then it's not the browser per se.

not helpful... sure it was. there is always the option of not using something. but you determined that it was important... so let me guess some more.

1) facebook.com is blocked by a) your router b ) your ISP c) your housemate d) your SO e) littlesnitch f) an adblocker

2) javascript is turned off. (in all browsers? unlikely but possble...)

3) you installed a FaceBook enhancer that is no longer compatible.

4) you have the Develop menu turn on with Javascript ticked to Disabled.

5) it's never a caching problem. just like it's never Sarcoidosis or Lupis.

6) repairing the permissions repairing the persmissions is a waste of time. stop that suggestion.

7) the HOST file blocks facebook.

8) the WIFI you are "borrowing" blocks certain URLs because of "issues".

9) try the Mac on another network to make sure it's not the network.

10) make a new user, log into it and try FaceBook there. it won't work there either if it's a network issue.

11) replace the router. you have to be sure.

12) or restore the router you have to defaults. this will clear out blocks, port forwards, QOS and other directives.

13) try a computer you know works on your network. if it works it's not the network.

14) give up and use Windows?

15) what about your iPhone, Android or other surface device. those work, right? if they work it's not the router.

16) could be the dreaded Double NAT issue. look that up. solving that is beyond the scope of my suggestions. sure.

17) ask your "computer person" to come over for a puzzle. everyone has one.

Edited by johnfoster