Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greggball

Can not print to a shared printer

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I had my Mum and Dad setup with the following:

Mac Mini (PowerPC G4) Mac OS Tiger (10.4)

MacBook Mac OS Snow Leopard (10.6)

The Mac Mini has a USB HP Photosmart C5200 attached and this was setup to be shared, and the Macbook could print across the network.

However I got them a newer Mac mini (2010 - last of the DVD drives) with Mountain Lion installed, too replace the old Mac mini. Local printing works fine, I switched off the Firewall and setup the printer / scanner to be shared for everyone. But the MacBook will not print, just says it's busy.

Am using the IP address of the Mac Mini to send to the printer, as Macbook does find any printers.

Any advice, without replacing the printer to a wireless version or upgrading/downgrading OS?

Many thanks

Gregg

use the Mac Mini as a printer server.

But the MacBook will not print, just says it's busy.

Did you double check the print center queue on all Macs to be sure it's clear? Also, make sure the Print Center queue on the MacBook is not paused.

Thanks chaps,

Am afraid I can't really use the old mac mini as it's too be sold.

I did check the Print Queue on both computers and they are clear. When I print on the MacBook (after a reboot both machines) it says it's printing 100% then it goes busy, retry, retry, etc.

Have you tried completely removing the printer from the MacBook's system (in System Preferences) and re-adding it?

Can I throw out the obvious, is Printer Sharing turned on in the Sharing preference window?