NickG

iPhone Keynote - Really That Exciting?

2 posts in this topic

Like every enthusiast I always look forward to any Apple Keynote & like others I followed one of the live Blogs & later watched the Apple Video of the event.

Because of the incessant analysis & leaks of the upcoming releases there were really few surprises.

As I watched the Keynote later that evening I was shocked at how many mistakes Tim Cook made. Lots of small errors & of course bigger ones as he called Pages a Spreadsheet!

For someone in Mr Cook`s position with his undoubted experience, not to mention huge salary, this really is not good enough.

Few, very few, can have Steve Jobs presence & charisma on stage, but these errors reeked of poor preparation or maybe he was just nervous? Either way, poor, by Apple`s standards.

I am not against Mr Cook in any way, but he is not in the same league as Steve Jobs as far as presence goes.

Anyway on to the specifics.

There was sadly little of surprise; not Apple`s fault or maybe they should clamp down severely on companies that leek product details. The leeks this time were very accurate.

The iPhone 5c was interesting & I am certain will be a very successful product.

Ok, turning to the iPhone 5s. Well, whilst some are jumping up & down excitedly, I am uncertain as to why.

What were the real changes? A faster processor, 64Bit, a unique move. Good, sounds impressive but I wonder what the real improvement will be for the majority of users? Improved battery life, ok, but we will see. Different colours, yes looks great, but as always my iPhone is tucked away in a case just to protect it, as anyone who has dropped one onto a ceramic/concrete/brick etc. floor will know, you only do it once! We also know that with no case the outside of the iPhone scratches noticeably. So, the colours are great, they look classy, but few see their phones naked!

There was a lot of attention about the camera. I am a professional photographer so perhaps I view Cell Phone cameras differently. Anyway, most of the upgrades were "catch-ups", just catching up other companies. However the Dual Flash is interesting & I am pleased Apple did not attempt to con consumers by cramming more Pixels onto a very small sensor. Very slightly larger Pixels as well. Low light noise should be improved. As always the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I have no doubt the image quality will be better, but by how much? I await with interest.

I hear a lot of writers suggesting that this new camera will, take fantastic Images. If you take rubbish images now this camera will not help! YOU take the images NOT the camera. It matters little what the quality of the camera is, to a point, and even if I gave my Nikon D4 or D3S or D800 to any disbelieving punter, I can guarantee they will still take crap images! Want to get better images, then work on your skills, it really is the secret you know!

Now the most exciting bit & one I was not expecting. The Fingerprint sensor on the Home button. Old idea for sure, but as we know no one has been able to perfect this technology. If anyone could surely it will be Apple? From the early reports it appears this function works brilliantly! This does interest me! Who knows what will be next, but I see Track pads etc. integrating this technology. I await with keen interest to see what Apple has planned!

Well that was it! Not really that exciting was it? I do not think so. Surely not even the most loyal Apple Fan Boy could be THAT excited?

Speed bump, colour change, battery life bump, marginally better camera with a few catch-ups. All very marginal I`d say. Then of course there was the Fingerprint sensor. That was the only part that was of significance for me.

Will I buy this new Phone just for the Finger Print sensor? Probably not, a bit too early & in reality offers little really other than coolness, at least for now!

So would anything in this new release actually persuade me to upgrade? To be honest probably not. The last 2 iPhone release were small improvements let`s be honest. I may well buy an unlocked iPhone 5 cheap on E-Bay; I presently have an iPhone 4s that I bought very cheap when the iPhone 5 was released. It will depend largely on how the 4s handles iOS7!!

Finally, those prices! £709 for a 64gb iPhone 5s!! Well, one thing for sure, anyone who thought Apple would go after the cheap market was wrong!

I look forward to the iPad Keynote & almost certainly will upgrade; I think!

Nick

as for Keynote on a iThing. we've had that since… um, since they added Album sharing to the iThing list. simply import any ordered list of JPEG or PNGs into an album then make sure to check "share it" in iTunes. DONE! now you have a PowerPoint / Keynote for your company, portfolio, elevator pitch ready at any time. tell your story this way and you WILL get noticed.

get over being a "loyal fanboi" and you'll be a happier person.