Harry_The_Bustard

Living In The Past

7 posts in this topic

Three years ago I bought my wife an iPad (first generation) for Christmas and this year she's getting an iPad 2 as it will do the job. (I'll be getting her cast-off.) So, this is proof someone is buying them - though I'd only fork out for such an antique on Apple sale days as I did today - and despite the paltry 7.5% discount. Still, it beats gift cards!

I often think about how the surface devices will get used as new ones get purchased. will the old become somebody else's new? will it land in the drawer to get thrown away later when it fails to turn on because of the LiIon battery became bloated. or will the device land in a place where it will have extended use. like in the shop, lab or kitchen where it will perform a single task. that task might be a info board, a reference book or gauge. it might run NEXT bus while hanging on the wall burning in the graphics because it never changed in a decade.

one thing I was thinking about was how these devices may stagnate tech moving forward because of people's requirement to take them into the future. we all know that at some point Apple (and Google) stop making upgrades locking them forever in time. which means it might be important for older versions of apps and web services to stick around. a developer will need to decide if it's worth the potential of 30% additional revenues to maintain older code. given what that number translates into it may not be worth the effort.

could the iPad v1 be the next Internet Explorer 6? and if it does will somebody do something about it? will a disgruntle engineer release a vicious virus targeting old tech with intent of disabling it forever? I could see that happening.

statistically it doesn't actually need such deviousness as device attrition will take care of that problem without anyones help. dropped, damaged, stolen, bork'd, shattered, static'd and add in how the thing is not very repairable makes sure that many of them will not make it to the future. keep in mind that the number of old devices diminishes automatically as new devices get sold. remember how iPad 2 outsold iPad 1 by 2X soon after it was released. and every device released since has repeated that event.

the thing we must do it find a place for the device. it can do something useful. even if it can't do everything like the new somethings.

Edited by johnfoster

The limitation of iOS 5 on my "new" iPad can be irksome from time to time but I'm managing to live with it. Still, I can see me upgrading to an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S (from a 3GS) before long. (The sooner the better as they will be pulled by the Autumn - if not before - so I'll not enjoy the next Black Friday discounts.) Whenever that is I'll treat a less-demanding friend of mine to my cast-offs - he having a Nexus 7 tablet and a Nokia 3310 - so to him it may well be Christmas. (I've even got a G4 Mac mini which would probably wipe the floor with his antique Windows PC - though given the limitations of that he'd be better off buying something new and me keeping it as an iTunes library host - something which, according to the last MacCast, is better than a NAS if you can cope with 10.6.3.) On a related tack I'm still propping up my antique Mac minis (Late 2006 and Mid 2007) as can be seen here and I see no compelling reason to upgrade.

Thanks to the discounting as a result of the discontinuation of the iPad 2 today - and the fact I wanted to stay in Big Plug World - I bought one. So, I've got a spare (original) iPad - one with 64GB - though rather than flog it my wife and I will use it as a media player. Thank goodness for the BBC iPlayer!

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

Good for you, Harry. I wish I could use BBC iPlayer here, There are SO many BBC shows I love.

In the light of Tuesday's announcements I thought I'd let folk know I'm still living in the past - I getting a 4S just the week before - finally retiring my iPhone 3GS. (That will be a spare - with a PAYG SIM rather than a much-cheaper contract SIM - and is doing all the things at home it can like playing music and acting as a remote.) It's been quite interesting moving up - a whole two editions when you consider the 4 was in between - and it's good to get back some of the apps which only run on iOS 7. The features in iOS 7 are nice too - though I'm still getting used to the animations - something I know one can tame. Let's hope iOS 8 does all it's reckoned to do on that and my "new" iPad 2 - though I'll no doubt be disappointed that "Handoff" for calls doesn't work - it purportedly needing later Bluetooth and all that.

While not quite as much in the past with my iPhone (5S) I'm probably behind you in all other aspects and getting along just fine