shockwavedave

Best HD option for older MBP - SSD or Hybrid?

4 posts in this topic

Seeing as our one and only tax refund will go towards a new furnace/ac and not a MBP Retina, I've been pondering doing as SSD upgrade to get more juice out of the 2010 MBP. Prices look better than they have in the past. We only need 240GB, we're not using our current 250GB. Already at 8GB Ram, and I was surprised we're actually using most of it (it's the downstairs machine the wife and I share, using 2 accounts).

From what I understand it is a SATA II drive, though any SATA III drive will work, just not at SATA III speeds.

I'm looking at 3 brands. OWC has theirs for $165

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX3G240/

Crucial has one for $109

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-adapter-Internal-CT240M500SSD1/dp/B00BQ8RM1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1394726166&sr=1-1&keywords=crucial+240gb+ssd

And then I've found Seagate has some Hybrid drives in 500GB($73) and 1TB ($95)

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Laptop-500GB-Drive-ST500LM000/dp/B00B99JU5M/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1394719220&sr=1-4&keywords=hybrid

Any thoughts on the SSD vs these Hybrid drives?

We don't really need the extra storage, though this machine will eventually replace my 2007 black MacBook at work (used for email and iTunes only), though I could probably figure out a way to utilize the space.

Thanks.

the difference between an SSD and a hard drive, to use newest catch phrase, "will amaze you." booting, opening apps, and the other drive access things are just fast, wicked fast. it's like using a brand new Mac kind of fast. zoom. I have not used a hybrid drive for comparison. but I have thought about these drives. the BIG speed up for them will be in the over and over things. saving, OS caches, menus, or anything that gets read more than one time. this means there is no advantage for the big loads like booting or running an app. those things usually exceed the hybrids space. and booting data won't stick there just like Photoshop won't.

the place a hybrid drives shine is in the server realm. where a web page gets served again and again. tiny files. lots of them. repeat. but then, if you are in a data center you've already moved to an all SSD strategy because rotating drives out of production as they get old is a cost effective upgrade insuring uptime. and your BIG WIDE backup storage will always be a RAID of spinning disks where once again that hybridization won't do anything to improve speed.

keep in mind ONE very important thing. SSDs break and when they do NOTHING can save the data stored there. you MUST have a backup plan in place. the life of an SSD seems to be about 12 months on a heavily used computers (Mac or Windows doesn't matter when it's similar use). this is one THIRD the life compared to a spinning hard drive which are calculated to FAIL after 3 years of continuous use.

in other words: mind your data.

Edited by johnfoster

I like the SanDisk Extreme II (Amazon link). I am thinking of purchasing it along with an OWC DataDoubler and Drive Slim to replace the optical drive in my 2009 MacBook Pro. I recommend going with a SATA III (6.0 Gbps) drive; though you won't see the fastest data rates possible, you will saturate your SATA II (3.0 Gpbs) connection.

The Extreme IIs are highly recommended by Anandtech (recommended in their 2013 Gift Guide), and have great reviews on Amazon.

I ended up going with the Crucial, mostly due to price. The machine doesn't do much heavy lifting. In fact, after I manually transferred files I realized I could have gone for the smallest drive. We use iTunes Match, so no need to keep music local, and there was 20gb of video podcasts my wife didn't realize could have been set up to auto-delete. It was an easy install, and so far everything has been working great (with the exception of the computer needing to be rebooted if you close the lid).