shockwavedave

What happens when lid is opened/closed vs sleep command?

4 posts in this topic

mid-2010 Macbook Pro. I recently added an SSD and did a clean install of Mavericks. This issue predated the recent install, though the lid open problem seems to have gotten worse.

Basically, it used to take a while to wake once the MBP went to sleep, either if it went to sleep lid open or if we closed it. Most of the time it would take minutes, and sometimes recently it would take hard reboots (and even then I would get stuck in a weird non-responsive state). Now it doesn't want to wake up at all if the lid is closed.

I have reset PRAM and SMC. Turned off " Put Hard disks to sleep when possible" used terminal to change the hibernation mode to this:

pmset -g

Active Profiles:

Battery Power -1*

AC Power -1

Currently in use:

hibernatemode 0

acwake 0

lidwake 1

halfdim 1

sleep 180

ttyskeepawake 1

sms 0

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

disksleep 0

displaysleep 2

The last bit I have not done yet that seems to have helped users in the past was to turn off "Secure Virtual Memory" which is no longer a GUI option, but probably a terminal command.

Since I have made those adjustments above, it wakes fine after given the sleep command (Apple Menu, or short press of power button).

Any thoughts as to what is supposed to happen when you open the lid, and is there a solution to fixing it?

Thanks.

user_online.gifreport.gif

Thanks, John.

It does sleep fine via commands other than lid close, and it wakes fine when the lid is already in an open state(with the settings I've adjusted).

The issue is if we close the lid (and it goes into system sleep) it does not wake easily, often not at all. I should probably test it again. Luckily we don't travel with it much, so it is not difficult to have it lid open all of the time. I would guess whatever hardware command is supposed to wake upon lid open isn't happening.