computiNATEor

iPhone 4 Crashes with Flash Photos

10 posts in this topic

Hey Maccast Community,

I've noticed a problem with my newly-acquired iPhone 4 (AT&T, 16GB). Whenever I go to take a flash photo (by toggling the flash indicator to "On", almost without exception, the phone shuts down entirely.

After a reboot, and second attempt, the phone often shows the low-charge screen.

My first instinct was a bug in iOS 7.1, but now I'm thinking that the phone's battery needs replacement, especially when I realized that connecting the phone to power eliminated the issue.

If that is indeed the case, would you recommend replacing the battery myself (I'm pretty handy, but would need to purchase a pentalobe screwdriver) or taking it to the Apple Store (5 minutes away)? Or is there a way I can fix the issue without a replacement?

Thanks,

Nate

If it's under warranty, I'd go the Apple Store route. Make sure to back it up to a computer first.

And I back up to cloud services (iCloud, Google Drive, Evernote, Dropbox) so that's not an issue.

does it DIE with a flash light app?

I replaced a battery in an iPhone 4 the other day. it took about 5 minutes. I bought the part using Amazon. it came with the required screw driver. although I didn't need it as I had that tool already. the cost was around $12. this guide is accurate for the steps to replace it.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Battery+Replacement/3141

Edited by johnfoster

I had a strange issue last night where the flash (which I have set to blink for alerts) wouldn't turn off after recieveing an onslaught of group messages. It remained on a strange flickering cycle until I opened up the camera, then closed it. Is it possible for the flash unit itself to be bad?

sure. hardware going bad is often mistaken for a software issue.

At this point, I'm just going to drag it into my local Apple Store. If it's the battery, I'll replace it myself.