mrstucci

2 wireless AirPrint printers stopped working....

6 posts in this topic

I am absolutely stumped. I posted my problems to the Apple Discussions and so far no resolution.

I have an HP 6700 printer that stopped working.... Couldn't get our MacBook Pros (hubby and mine) to see the printer and my iPhone and iPad were no longer able to use AirPrint. What was weird is that if I went to the control panel on the printer it would print one time. If I needed to print again I had to go to the control panel again and setup the network, even though I didn't change anything. I tried several things but thought, ok, something broke with the wifi. So I ordered a new printer, an Epson WF 3620.

Installed the new software. I used the control panel on the printer to setup the network. No problem. Print out the network page and says everything is fine. EXCEPT it won't print. Well, not entirely true. I talked to Epson several times this week and finally it will print now that I have the IP address for the location. Otherwise our laptops can't see the printer! My iDevices can't see the printer-I downloaded the Epson iPrint app, managed to setup Epson Connect (not through the app on my Mac but by entering the IP address of the printer) but the iDevices can't see the printer. The printer is selected in the app (Epson iPrint) but if I go to print an email, etc., it says no AirPrint printer found. At one point the Epson app said there was a communication error. I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Made no difference.

I am very puzzled. The only new 'thing' that I have added lately is an Transporter Sync. I tried unplugging it and it didn't make any difference. Two printers, same issue.

Anyone have any clue what is going on? I am running the latest Mavericks. I have a 4S and an iPad 4th gen. Help please.... This is driving me nuts!

Nothing new other than I ran Disk Utility from the Recover Disk and reinstalled Mavericks from the Recover Disk. I also reset the printers. All this did nothing to help me figure out what's wrong. I am thinking nuke and pave is the only solution left.

unless you make the printer have a fixed IP address it won't work after a while. why? DHCP might re-assign the IP address. then what worked before will not work. to fix the IP address you have to log into the printer, then enter an IP that is out of range of the DHCP addresses. for example if the router was a Linksys / Cisco it will assign IP using the range 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.150. the lease of the address lasts 3600 minutes before it is updated. sometimes the device will get the same IP on renewal although it's not guaranteed. so the printer does not conflict give it an IP of 192.168.1.160. then it will always be accessed that way by the computers and other things.

sometimes you can set this on the printer itself and other times you have to use a computer.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Epson/WorkForce-WF-3620/Manual/418496?page=45

if the printer is not visible at all it means that it is not connected to the network. you may have entered the wrong password. or the printer is in a location that it cannot see the router.

Thanks, John, for replying! Your idea was next on my list before I nuked and paved my MBP. BUT, good news! Read below...

Update: Time Machine couldn't find the TC. Ugh. Then I had an idea.... And the idea solved the problem.

If the last resort didn't work I would nuke and pave. My last resort was to unplug everything in my IT closet (aka the pantry)-modem, weather station, router, TC, 2 external hard drives and the Transporter. Turned off the printer. Waited about 10 minutes. Started up the modem first. Then the router. Then the TC. Tried to print. PRINTER WORKED. I contained my excitement. Tried to print from hubby's computer, my iPad and iPhone. BINGO!!! Printer worked. Then I plugged in the Transporter and the hard drive that is connected to it. Tried to print from the same things... They all printed just fine. I was giddy at this point. Plugged in the other hard drive. Printer worked with all devices. So I plugged in the last thing and tested the printer again.... It worked flawlessly.

On my iDevices the printer was found with no problem. I am very happy.

I had unplugged just the router before, not the modem. And that was the key.

So all is well. Thanks again for your idea.

"did you turn ALL OF it off and on?" is the first thing to try. always.

it still sounds like a DHCP problem. I would make the set the IP address for the printer so it is FIXED aka STATIC. then no matter what the devices will find it.

Ok. Will do! Thank you!