Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TerryB

speaking about NAS - I have problem needing a solution...

5 posts in this topic

Well - the 2TB HDD that I use for my music, films etc. has gone kaput. OK I have most of it backed up but this forces me to a decision (not my forte!).

I think that I would like to go NAS with more than one drive (I don’t like to have clutter hanging off my recently completely refurbished mid-2009 MBP which gets moved around).

Trouble is that I don’t have a clue.

I currently have 2 physical 2TB drives on a 4 port powered USB hanging off the Extreme.

One of those drives (now kaput!) is my iTunes library, the other consists of 3 logical drives for Time m/c, and other backups: (hmmm - just made me think - that’s a lot of stored eggs in 1 basket isn’t it?)

Any advice/ instructions on the NAS option please? I currently have an oldish Netgear DG834G v3 modem with 4 ports, one of which connects to the Extreme.

I had been considering put in some ethernet around the house and this is forcing the issue a little.

So - help please? Advice - what/where? price counts - I am on a pension!

TiA TerryB

I'd go for a RAID 1 solution - i.e. two drives in one - the previous-generation (but still viable) LaCie 2big being on offer, diskless, here at £122.70. (That has removable drives so if one goes tits up it can be swapped - though whether the data can be retrieved easily if the drive host unit fails is another matter - something I know can be difficult with certain NAS hardware.) Of course "diskless" means you'll have to fork out more - suitable 4TB drives (of which you'll need a pair) coming in at the same price - though you can put any-sized pair in there so long as they match. (LaCie provide a comprehensive list of suitable drives.) An alternative is, of course, using two drive units - LaCie's CloudBox being one of many offerings with the 4TB model currently coming in around the £145 mark - with one being set up to copy changes to the other in a RAID 1 configuration. (I've not looked into the means of mirroring such but ChronoSync might be the way.) The suggested external backup service (one of many out there) is always worth considering in case of the likes of flood or fire damage and, of course, theft, but clearly you would only upload your most valuable files to save on costs - and you have to beware of the likely long time it will take and of any bandwidth limitations on your broadband service - not to mention the speed and ease of getting your data back. (Choose one with pre-upload encryption so your data is not sent in the clear.) Whatever you go for bear this security issue in mind and do let us know if you need further guidance and what you go for in the end.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

Thanks for the input. I've now looked at the NAS options and I think it may have to wait a while (have to pay a handyman for the duration whilst I have my knee replaced!)

Meanwhile - I don't know if this should be a new topic:-

I think I have heard Adam mention this some time back - how to stop the connection to the server (USB on Extreme) being dropped for no obvious reason - (perhaps the MBP going into sleep mode?).

This can be a real pain when one has been running a program such as Tidy Up for hours only to be told that the drive is not available, just at a critical moment!

I know that I heard something about this - always reconnects to the server first thing after sleep? One problem there for me is that it makes me put in a password every time.because I have the Wi-Fi protected; ( I may live in the heart of open country but I have the pub/B&B right over the road - convenient I know!

This probably where a local MUG would be great but Local here is 45 mile either way!

Thanks in advance for any information

TerryB

I remember that piece but like so many it would be a nightmare to find - as I've mentioned in the forum once or twice before there being a real need for facility to search the Shownotes - the standard search on the web site not accessing those. You could try wading through those - i.e. one show at a time - though, to paraphrase Les Dawson, don't think it won't be fun because it won't.