johnfoster

about those Dodos

3 posts in this topic

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/06/16/sierra.poses.some.new.problems.for.the.aluminum.mac.pro.faithful.134675/

the really sad thing about old Mac Pro hardware sunsetting is that most of this OLD stuff is more powerful compared to most of the new Mac line up being sold today. the OCTOs even compare, benchmark wise, favorably next to Mac Pro Mini hardware. and given the cost of the boxes the price performance curve makes them formidable for day to day work.

I think I would rather have a 8 year old box that offers ALL the RAM, full speed hard drives, and choice of a GPU and throw it away if it breaks for $600. and I am certain that the Rock Kitty will serve my OS needs for years to come.

Edited by johnfoster

I hear you John! I've never been at that end of the Mac spectrum but have been following since the 80s Hasn't it always been true that the current version of a MacPro is good for several years?

several years at least. the problem as I see it is that there are no valid TECHNiCAL reason why the new OS should not be allowed to run on old hardware. it's wasteful to discontinue it this way. the good news is that you can get pretty close to newest even with the oldest of Mac Pro from 2006. and these Macs, if you upgrade the CPUs to Octos and replace the GPU with something more modern will run 10.10. good enough, right?

know what is really sad? that 2006 Mac Pro outruns even the modern best Mac Mini beating it with an excellent benchmark and kills it in the price performance curve. for example. you can run REAL SATA drives at full speed without the paying a Turdbolt tax for a case to get full speed. just plug them into the slot!

Edited by johnfoster