Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MacCast

Please don't post flood to increase your rank or post count

10 posts in this topic

It has recently come to my attention that some of your posts are lacking real content, and appear to be there only to bring your post count up. I wanted to remind you that the forums are here as a place to interact, help others, and get help. They are not here as a racetrack for post counts. It makes it extremely difficult to search through a topic for information, when there are multiple posts by the same user in a row, posts that are not relevant to the topic. A post with just a smiley does not add too much to the original topic. I am happy that so many of you have become active members in the community, but doing the things that I have listed above, does not help in any way. We will NOT tolerate abusive behavior like this in the future, so consider this a warning. Anyone continuing abuse in this manner will be contacted via PM and if the practice continues we will not hesitate to suspend your account. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope that you do take into consideration the points that I've made.

Thanks for the warning, I know that I am partially responsible for this (posting without much content that is) although I do not post purely to raise my ranking. Sometimes I just don't think very much when I post!

Thanks for the warning, I know that I am partially responsible for this (posting without much content that is) although I do not post purely to raise my ranking. Sometimes I just don't think very much when I post!

Same. After this and the PM I almost afraid to post this message!

No doubt. :D Sorry, but I never pay attention to my post counts. I guess I didn't know there was a reason to. I check in every few days, read a few threads, and perhaps post in some. I don't always post content because part of posting is the development of community. Make sure you keep that in mind or you may see people disappear. Unless, of course, you want this to be a technical support site, in which case I'll still check in, but not nearly as often. :?

No doubt. :D Sorry, but I never pay attention to my post counts.  I guess I didn't know there was a reason to.  I check in every few days, read a few threads, and perhaps post in some.  I don't always post content because part of posting is the development of community.  Make sure you keep that in mind or you may see people disappear.  Unless, of course, you want this to be a technical support site, in which case I'll still check in, but not nearly as often.  :?
It's not directed at most of the members. There were just a few that were abusing the system, to attempt to get their post counts bumped up higher than others. It's fine to post a reply that isn't entirely related, but some people were posting 1 or 2 word responses on a consistent basis, or a reply with just smilies which is where the problem was. It was a fairly isolated issue, which I hope has been resolved. The people that were doing it know who they are, and I would suspect knew they were doing it the entire time. I haven't noticed any issues with your postings treadlightly, nor have I gotten any complaints, so I think you're fine. An occasional short, content-less response is fine. It's life, but as I said, those consistently doing it were the problem that this topic was targeting.

Whew! Of course, if you'd gotten a complaint, I'd expect a PM to let me know...right? :wink:

Whew!  Of course, if you'd gotten a complaint, I'd expect a PM to let me know...right?   :wink:

Most definitely :wink:

I might not always have the most intelligent responses to peoples queries, yet I do try and post to many peoples problems and or statements to build community interaction and goodwill amongst the group. I try and stay on the topic, as I care not to look like a fool, but at the same time, maintain a sense of closeness to the group. I would hate for this to simply turn into a tech support forum and I hope people who want to post junk get this messeges' hint, but I truly hope we are allowed to express our sense of Mac togetherness. "Can't we all just, just get along?"

I might not always have the most intelligent responses to peoples queries, yet I do try and post to many peoples problems and or statements to build community interaction and goodwill amongst the group.  I try and stay on the topic, as I care not to look like a fool, but at the same time, maintain a sense of closeness to the group.  I would hate for this to simply turn into a tech support forum and I hope people who want to post junk get this messeges' hint, but I truly hope we are allowed to express our sense of Mac togetherness.  "Can't we all just, just get along?"

I agree; this is not a tech forum; it is a community. I have made a lot of friends here, some of which I only talk to through the forums, some of which I talk to through more personal routes. There is certainly room for friendlyness and general conversation building.

That said; what we are talking about here are one word posts, meaningless and pointless posts and of course lines of smilies. There is no point in purposly and obviously trying to increase a postcount on two levels:

a. It just annoys people and makes threads hard to read

b. No one really pays attention to post counts here anyway (viz: I respect The Professors opinion a lot more than that of many people with higher post counts than his.)

All that the regulars ask is that there is some thoughtfulness in posts (even if it is a joke).