Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewMacAddict

Microsoft 98

9 posts in this topic

I'm a PC user switching to a MacBook 2.0 white computer and I'd like to know what is the easiest way to switch my files to my new MacBook.

Can i use my ethernet cable? Someone from the Apple Store told me I could connect them and then just move files. I haven't bought Microsoft for Mac yet? Will I be able to view my word files? That could be a stupid question, but I have to make sure...lol

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

You can move your files via ethernet, but you won't be able to open your Office files until you buy the Mac version.

you can also use iwork if you wish to view your windows word files.

So can just use the cable and my PC's hard drive will appear on my MacBook? It sounds too easy.

Well, not quite. Connecting them together should get a network going, but you won't automatically see the other machine's hard drive. On the Windows computer, right click on the folder where your stuff is - probably your My Documents - and select Properties. Go to the Sharing tab and turn on sharing for that folder.

Now, go over to the Mac and in its Finder select the Go menu from the top of the screen and select Network. Your Windows computer should show up in there. Select it, click Connect, and choose the folder you shared from the box that pops up. It will probably prompt you for a user name and password - give it the one you use to log into Windows. After that, an icon for that shared folder will appear on the Mac's desktop and you can copy whatever you need out of it.

you can also use iwork if you wish to view your windows word files.

or NeoOffice / Openoffice which are free :)

or NeoOffice / Openoffice which are free :)

Free they may be, but they certainly aren't as fun as iWork.

iwork is fun.. but i've never actually needed to use it for anything.. i just play around with it... i'm a loser, i know.

iwork is fun.. but i've never actually needed to use it for anything.. i just play around with it... i'm a loser, i know.

nah, I am soon to reinstall OSX and remove most of ilife as well as the iwork stuff. Don't feel bad.