MitchA

Questions About the New Forum Software?

30 posts in this topic

As Adam announced here, we have moved to the wonderful Invision Power Board software. If you have any questions involving how to do a certain task, certain new features you've found, etc. Ask them here! I have quite a bit of experience with IPB, so most likely I will be able to help you out. Many of our members also have experience with IPB, so we can find a solution one way or another. Enjoy the new software!

I know that things are just getting up to speed, but I am getting a lot of failure to connect to server messages when trying to go into a particular topic board. ;)

I know that things are just getting up to speed, but I am getting a lot of failure to connect to server messages when trying to go into a particular topic board. ;)

What board are you trying to get into and what is the error you are receiving?

sometimes when i click the forum link or my old bookmarked links it brings up an error page on the old forum software

and the avatar images are resized and don't look right

Edited by ipodman

sometimes when i click the forum link or my old bookmarked links it brings up an error page on the old forum software

and the avatar images are resized and don't look right

Well, these forums are not setup in the same way that PHPBB was setup, so the link syntax is different. Remove your old bookmarks so you don't keep trying to access the old forums. As far as avatars are concerned, just upload a new one.

What board are you trying to get into and what is the error you are receiving?

It could be any board, not just a single one. I mentioned to Adam in a different thread that I need to try it at a different location to see if it could be my broadband satellite service that is causing the problem, but I tend to not think that it could be since I do not have this problem on any other site.

I did notice on a traceroute that the last hop before the forum servers showed up as all asterisks.

It could be any board, not just a single one. I mentioned to Adam in a different thread that I need to try it at a different location to see if it could be my broadband satellite service that is causing the problem, but I tend to not think that it could be since I do not have this problem on any other site.

I did notice on a traceroute that the last hop before the forum servers showed up as all asterisks.

It does seem like the problem you are describing sounds like more of a connection problem than a forum problem. It may have just been a coincidence that you were noticing issues after the switch. I haven't had any problems, and I haven't heard of any problems from others, so it may have been a bad connection day for you yesterday :(

It is still happening. I am not sure what it could be. I will try it at work Monday and post back here about it then.

I know it's not a big deal, but is there any way I can get my account to notify me of replies to my post automatically. I think the other forum by default did. I don't always remember to check the little box in post options. Like I said not a big deal, I was just wondering if there was a way to setup preferences for individual user accounts, that kinda thing.

I know it's not a big deal, but is there any way I can get my account to notify me of replies to my post automatically. I think the other forum by default did. I don't always remember to check the little box in post options. Like I said not a big deal, I was just wondering if there was a way to setup preferences for individual user accounts, that kinda thing.

Click the "My Controls" link in your member bar at the top of any page. Then click on email settings and click the box next to Enable 'Email Notification' by default? That should be what you want :)

when i click on the link that i get in my email now it gets an error and wont go to the forum topic that i click on in my mail... why? very annoying

and i dont have a profile pic anymore, ughhh

when i click on the link that i get in my email now it gets an error and wont go to the forum topic that i click on in my mail... why? very annoying

Rome was not built in a day. We are all just seeing some growing pains with the move to the new and better forums. We should all just hold tight and let Mitch and Adam get everything worked out over the next few days.

Rome was not built in a day. We are all just seeing some growing pains with the move to the new and better forums. We should all just hold tight and let Mitch and Adam get everything worked out over the next few days.

i will wait patiently, it was just the shock factor... but it will all be for the better

I agree. It was weird the first time I hit the new forums after a week or so not coming here. In fact, my link kept going to the MacCast podcast page until I clicked on the Forum link on that page and found that everything had changed.

It could have been worse. It could have been that Adam and Mitch could not migrate the old posts and statistics and we would have had to register again. That would have been bad.

I just tested the notification feature for this topic, and the link did in fact work. Is it possible that your email client (webmail?) is not actually hyperlinking the entire link?

I just tested the notification feature for this topic, and the link did in fact work. Is it possible that your email client (webmail?) is not actually hyperlinking the entire link?

it was the links to forums from the old software so im guessing thats why but it works now with all of the forum posts.

haha then your 1500+ would be nothing

The numbers do not mean anything. What would have been bad is if the data for all the previous threads were gone. I have been through that before on some other forums. Everyone forgets what they were talking about and things die off. :(

I just noticed something very sweet about the new forum software. If you are the last reply in a thread and you add another reply to the thread, the forum software actually tacks your new reply on to the end of the previous one so that you do not have several in a row. I used to do this manually. It is very nice to have the software do it for me!

Update: Well, it didn't do it on this one for some reason, but it did work like that in another thread that I was perusing regarding the Mac Pro. :)

Edited by kwsanders

I would like to express interest in another them, I really dislike the standard one, it's hard to see what's got new topics, etc.

roog

Looks good to me...but I miss seeing "Yoo are being redirected..." when typing forum.maccast.com directly into the url. :)

You mentioned that you are using the Invision power board. I am thinking about using them as well, and I have just a few questions. Are you hosting, or are they hosting for you? If they are hosting what srvice are you using? If you have your own web server, was that difficult to set up? I would like to have my own webserver, but I am not sure how to begin. Any info you might have on how to set one up would be great.

Thanks

Dave

I noticed that invisionboard has built in RSS capabilities, are they enabled here? If so how can I subscribe to them? If not, then why not?

You mentioned that you are using the Invision power board. I am thinking about using them as well, and I have just a few questions. Are you hosting, or are they hosting for you? If they are hosting what srvice are you using? If you have your own web server, was that difficult to set up? I would like to have my own webserver, but I am not sure how to begin. Any info you might have on how to set one up would be great.

Thanks

Dave

Adam is hosting the forums on the same server as the main maccast site is hosted on. I don't know what hosting provider he is using, but there are many great hosting providers out there. IPB also offers hosting options if you don't have your own dedicated/shared hosting solution. I would advise against hosting a site yourself from a computer in your house. Go to the pros, and start out with a shared hosting account and grow as needed.

I noticed that invisionboard has built in RSS capabilities, are they enabled here? If so how can I subscribe to them? If not, then why not?

RSS is not currently setup and may nor may not be setup in the future. It can become a bit complicated as far as which topics are included in what feed, how many feeds there are, which feed appears in Safari, etc. etc. Currently you can "subscribe" to individual topics or forum categories, and receive email updates when new responses/topics are posted. You can do that from the forum options button in any category view.