Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eye_Doc

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo

10 posts in this topic

I have been like an excited kid these last two days for the simple reason that I have the most beautiful laptop, I have ever seen!

I have moved from a 12" powerbook, and this is a great leap. The first thing I noticed is that the screen is huge and very bright, more than enough room to have a few windows open. The second thing is how thin this machine is. With the lid open, it is thinner than a thin paperback.

Plugging in the powerbrick and I notice the awesome design feat that is Mag power. Not only does it click in place with very little effort, but also works both ways round, so all you have to do is wave the power connector in the right place and the magnet does the rest.

This machine is whisper quiet. My wife's old PC rattles and creaks like a 20 a day smoker on his last packet whilst my slimline MBP glides by silently. There is NO noise from the HDD, presumbably because of the new 'disc of dampening +44' and even the DVD drive is unobtrusively quiet if not silent.

In terms of speed, I haven't really pushed it at all, but the GUI is alive and responsive and generally I only have to wait for Rosetta programs (come on MS and Adobe!!). I have put Aperture and Final Cut Express on it and look forward to putting them through their paces.

In short this machine is great. The perfect compromise between lugability and size with oodles of disk space to boot. Oh and turn the lights down, the illuminated keyboard lights up and this machine is quite simply beautiful!

Wow, thanks for the info, be sure to post any problems as soon as you get them because I may purchase one of these in a few weeks.

Thx for the review, sounds like a smooth running machine.

Ok, so I have this machine for about a week now.

It is going great, I have had no problems so far.

I have managed to get a few sessions of Aperture done and the machine work really well. Thanks to the improvements in v1.5.1 and the speedy machine, I only rarely see the spinning beach ball and only if I am scrolling through a project with several thousand pictures. Notably Aperture is the only program that makes the HDD audible at all!

Final Cut express performance is exemplary. The program is responsive and renders in the background very speedily indeed.

Still have to put WOW on as I am having a bit of a break!

Which hard drive did you go for? I got the 160gb one and it's quite noisy. Not bad enough to be worrying, but you saying you can't hear yours is making me wonder...

Congrats bro , I just got one last wednesday as well and I'm loving it so far. And i can vouch for the HD, i can barely tell mine is on lol. I haven't done anything super intensive yet but from what i have done it has performed incredibly well and much better then my PC. Only from i'm having is that my modem only connects @ 28.8 all the time, nothing higher. This won't matter much cuz i'm getting 1 cable modem next week so i'll be able to d/l everything fast but til then it is alttle annoying.

Thanks for that great review.

What memory and space did you go for? (If you dont mind me asking)

Thanks for that great review.

What memory and space did you go for? (If you dont mind me asking)

I went for the 160Gb drive and the 2Gb RAM.

The drive performance question of a 5400 rpm drive was one that no-one seemed to have a good answer for.

Because it is a perpendicular drive, the data density is higher and that may make up for the reduction in rpm. Regardless as all raw video files will need to be kept on an external HDD anyway, it isn't a problem.

The space is used up with music anyway!!

I'll add my thumbs up for the MBP C2D!

Its the laptop I have long been waiting for.. upgrading from a Pismo G3 500!

Why did I wait?

Well I needed a lot of boxes ticked.

Here are the things I was waiting for in a laptop:

- Intel Chip

- 64 bit Intel Chip

- Built in iSight

- 256MB Video card

- Front Row

- Firewire 800

- Matt Screen.

- High Max Ram

So as you can see the Macbook Pro C2D delivered specs that might even last as long as the Pismo did, 6 years!

Which hard drive did you go for? I got the 160gb one and it's quite noisy. Not bad enough to be worrying, but you saying you can't hear yours is making me wonder...

i got a noisy hard drive too, but it doesn't bother me too much.

EDIT: 3 days on the hinge clicks on the right and squeeks on the left, there may be some screws too tight/too loose or something, I also have the whine, which I hoped would be removed by the core 2 update.

Edited by The Dead Herring