I read the warnings. I thought about how much better iPhone 2.0 would be. I thought of how expensive this one is. I bought it anyway.
1. Activation was painless. No problems whatsoever. The longest part - when AT&T had to do their part, was only a couple of minutes. However, I was already an AT&T customer (on a family plan), so I just had to add the data part to my plan.
2. It depends how dirty your fingers are. yes, it smudges, but it's easy to clean. It comes with a cloth. I usually just use my shirt. (I'm wearing a black t-shirt right now, so it's good.)
3. Typing is...tough for me. The worst thing - and I've read this elsewhere - is the backspace key. It's in a terrible place. I don't know if it's my eyes, but I usually have to hit to the left of where I think I should.
4. The real internet is okay. Edge is awful. Wi-fi is good. But really - a 3.5 inch screen is still too small for the internet. To be fair, I'm usually think a 15-inch powerbook is too small, too.
5. I have no idea about the battery yet.
The phone is be-yoo-ti-ful.