HenryL

My MacBook Pro has overheated/gone black (from silver) I'm a bit freaked out

Please see the photos here:

http://my.inbox.com/photos/henryl

Everyone: thank you so much for your advice. I have pulled the photos for approx 24 hours. I will put them back up once this is sorted

I'd be really grateful for any advice

I bought it from the Apple Store in around May/June 2006

It's the 2.16GHz Core Duo. It came with 1GB of Ram.

Recently I bought another 1GB ram from Crucial.com/uk and it has been working perfectly

Very fast - everything instant.. like once bounce or less on the dock before an app opened.

have been very happy

Now, it's so painfully slow. It doesn't play MP3s without stopping and starting every few seconds.

When I pick the machine up , the silver paint comes of on my hands

What's the best way to deal with this?

Should I take it to the genius bar? I am busy & I get furstrated with waiting in big Qs & will get annoyed if some one at the apple store tells me it's somehow my fault. (is it?)

The machine has been extremely noisy from the start (like a remote controlled aeroplane) and very hot. But i've put up with it, cos it's so fast & I really love it (until now!)

Edited by HenryL

wow, unbelievable... definitely take it in with everything that came with it... looks like you will be getting a brand new mac book pro core 2 duo

wow, unbelievable... definitely take it in with everything that came with it... looks like you will be getting a brand new mac book pro core 2 duo

Should I take the extra 1Gb RAM (on one stick) out? (or should I leave it in & ask them to take it out for me)

Also, I have a few episodes of south park downloaded (bit torrent) (I'm in London & these episodes won't be broadcast for a long time here.. also UK customers of the iTunes store aren't able to purchase these).

I guess I should copy/backup all my files (I have an external 250GB firewire disk so not a big problem)

But... when I copy/move files .. it takes FOREVER. it is PAINFULLY slow! I mean this system is so slow it is unbelievable.

It sounds (if you'll pardon the pun) that the problem may have existed from the start - i.e. oveheating which has finally resulted in something failing - perhaps even the fan. (The consumer and professional MacBooks have, I think, both suffered from excessive heat and noisy fans - but yours is the worst than I've heard of.) Then again maybe something was buggered up when the memory stick was installed. This... http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/hardware.html ...tells you what you can expect from Apple - and if you want to restore the memory to what it was before approacing them then you could always not mention the upgrade - though I'd be surprised if Apple can't tell if the case has been opened - and I suspect there are logs on the hard drive describing hardware as well as software changes over time. If it's going to take you too long to back up your data then ask Apple to do so - if they will and can - and to wipe your original drive afterwards. It sounds like the video material you have is a little dodgy but whether Apple will report you is doubtful as it's not in their interests to alienate customers - though I'm sure they'd report criminal material. I have material such as diaries and letters - not to mention e-mail messages - on one of my computers which, though not dodgy, are private and I would not want anyone to see them. As such I'd certainly think twice about releasing that hard drive to a repair centre and would try to get off what I could and then re-install the OS with a clean drive. Finally, you should take it to the sales desk - not the Genius Bar - as you have a consumer complaint and not a technical query.

It sounds (if you'll pardon the pun) that the problem may have existed from the start - i.e. oveheating which has finally resulted in something failing - perhaps even the fan.

Harry

Thanks for all your advice

The warranty page on the Apple site gives me a headache.

The laptop worked perfectly for several weeks after the memory upgrade. I was delighted with the performance - like I said everything was instant. I realised that if I ever put the unit on my lap I would never have children (as I could fry eggs on it) but I didn't really mind

I will definately remove the episodes of south park. Trey and Parker are too funny - they are comedy legends.

I will not go to the genius bar.

What about touching the paint on the laptop - the silver just comes of on my fingers

Harry

Thanks for all your advice

The warranty page on the Apple site gives me a headache.

The laptop worked perfectly for several weeks after the memory upgrade. I was delighted with the performance - like I said everything was instant. I realised that if I ever put the unit on my lap I would never have children (as I could fry eggs on it) but I didn't really mind

I will definately remove the episodes of south park. Trey and Parker are too funny - they are comedy legends.

I will not go to the genius bar.

What about touching the paint on the laptop - the silver just comes of on my fingers

Another thing is that after 10.4.8 the fan stopped being so noisy. Maybe this is why it over heated?!

I wouldn't be so sure. Apple has been total pricks about replacing my MBP. Admittedly mine's not in such bad shape as this one, but they have given me the run-around and basically told me to get lost. I almost wish mine would die like this one has just to prove the jerks wrong.

Perhaps the most important elements of the Apple (hardware) warranty referred to are those that relate to "damage caused by... ...abuse" and "damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider". Each of these sounds unlikely but I'd roll back the memory configuration if you can and not mention it to Apple. Of course their staff could be aware of this thread (unlikely I guess) and be ready to trip you up. Honesty's supposed to be the best policy - unless you're George W***** Bush - so it's up to you if you want to come clean.

Despite Apple being rotten to the core on the toxicological front (http://www.greenpeace.org/apple/) it isn't likely that the paint will do you any harm - if that's your concern - though don't go flavouring the fried eggs with it.

I'm not sure if OS X updates would address fan issues - rather this is covered by firmware updates - this one... http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...wareupdate.html ...being a relevant example. 10.4.8 did this... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304200 ...and there's no mention of fans in that. Still, I could be wrong - and I would be disappointed if firmware upgrades were not made known to me somehow as it's a bit of a drag having to visit the Downloads page regularly to check - though maybe that's unavoidable.

Finally, if you do get a Core 2 Duo machine you may find the extra memory you have may not suit - though I'm afraid I can't advise you on that as it's outside my field of knowledge. Cross this bridge if and when you get to it.

Perhaps the most important elements of the Apple (hardware) warranty referred to are those that relate to "damage caused by... ...abuse" and "damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider". Each of these sounds unlikely but I'd roll back the memory configuration if you can and not mention it to Apple. Of course their staff could be aware of this thread (unlikely I guess) and be ready to trip you up. Honesty's supposed to be the best policy - unless you're George W***** Bush - so it's up to you if you want to come clean.

Despite Apple being rotten to the core on the toxicological front (http://www.greenpeace.org/apple/) it isn't likely that the paint will do you any harm - if that's your concern - though don't go flavouring the fried eggs with it.

I'm not sure if OS X updates would address fan issues - rather this is covered by firmware updates - this one... http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...wareupdate.html ...being a relevant example. 10.4.8 did this... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304200 ...and there's no mention of fans in that. Still, I could be wrong - and I would be disappointed if firmware upgrades were not made known to me somehow as it's a bit of a drag having to visit the Downloads page regularly to check - though maybe that's unavoidable.

Finally, if you do get a Core 2 Duo machine you may find the extra memory you have may not suit - though I'm afraid I can't advise you on that as it's outside my field of knowledge. Cross this bridge if and when you get to it.

Take the extra memory out and don't tell them it was ever there. It's not that it would have caused a problem but they are going to try and do everything they can not to help you and that will be the first excuse. They are not aware of this thread. Next image your system to your external [however long it might take], maybe if you have another mac handy you could try using target disk mode to get everything off. Might be faster. Then do a clean OSX install. Again this is just to take away the possibility of them blaming some app for the problem. Then take your system in and be prepared for a fight. Be very polite but be firm. They are probably going to say that it's not covered because the system has been abused or because the damage is wear and tear related. I wouldn't mention anything unnecessary. Imagine you are an average computer user that has no idea about how a computer works and just act like you really don't know what is happening but that your system is suddenly incredibly slow and the paint has been flaking off. If you can keep from handling it much till you show it to them so that you can demonstrate paint flaking off I would say that will be a big help to you. At some point you will probably get it replaced, probably after a few rounds of dealing with them, but you won't get a core 2 duo unless you are really lucky. So don't go in there expecting or demanding an updated system, it will only weaken your position anyway. Most likely you will get a replacement of the model you have.

Take the extra memory out and don't tell them it was ever there. It's not that it would have caused a problem but they are going to try and do everything they can not to help you and that will be the first excuse. They are not aware of this thread. Next image your system to your external [however long it might take], maybe if you have another mac handy you could try using target disk mode to get everything off. Might be faster. Then do a clean OSX install. Again this is just to take away the possibility of them blaming some app for the problem. Then take your system in and be prepared for a fight. Be very polite but be firm. They are probably going to say that it's not covered because the system has been abused or because the damage is wear and tear related. I wouldn't mention anything unnecessary. Imagine you are an average computer user that has no idea about how a computer works and just act like you really don't know what is happening but that your system is suddenly incredibly slow and the paint has been flaking off. If you can keep from handling it much till you show it to them so that you can demonstrate paint flaking off I would say that will be a big help to you. At some point you will probably get it replaced, probably after a few rounds of dealing with them, but you won't get a core 2 duo unless you are really lucky. So don't go in there expecting or demanding an updated system, it will only weaken your position anyway. Most likely you will get a replacement of the model you have.

dude, thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

I'm not hoping for a core 2 duo. I am (or was) delighted with the older Mac Book Pro - i just want one that works

Great idea - doing a clean install - that way they can't blame any app

By the way the white surface of my desk is covered in BLACK (kinda like burnt toast - when it goes all black)

I am someone who is really short of time. I also have a very low tolerance for frustration.

update: I think i can smell burning. 'm going switch this thing off

That is flippin' scary, seeing as may be an owner of one of these machines in a few weeks, it fills me with confidence. However because the unit is clearly seriously defective, I am sure they will be happy to replace it for you without argument, nothing should cause a computer to literally burn, regardless of what software is on it.

i like PRESIDENT George W. Bush, why would you even think about putting that in here anyway. I dont see what the President has to do with a faulty MBP. Go join a conspiracy forum if you want to talk politics. and the reason that they are pricks to you is because you probably have the same attitude that you do in the forum. Being just a little nice goes a long way. If you go in there acting like that then i wouldnt try any harder to help you either.

the being nice thing was towards oyah, but you could be a little nicer too harry

need further advice - before I wipe my system.. is there any way of saving my iCal entries ( I don't have .Mac)

I have just done a copy of my HOME folder & my Applications

I have heard of 'carbon copy cloner' and 'super duper'. One of them isn't universal but is free...

as well as my 250GB firewire drive, I have a spare USB2 lacie 100GB hard drive, so I figure I could just 'image' my hard drive?

(I'm low on cash so can't really afford to buy more software.)

Also, other than 'secure empty trash' is there any other (simple) way to overwrite all the 'blank' data? (nothing criminal - just personal - no big deal if the engineers see it, but I'd rather they didn't... plus I doubt they acutally care anyway)

Edited by HenryL

need further advice - before I wipe my system.. is there any way of saving my iCal entries ( I don't have .Mac)

I have just done a copy of my HOME folder & my Applications

I have heard of 'carbon copy cloner' and 'super duper'. One of them isn't universal but is free...

as well as my 250GB firewire drive, I have a spare USB2 lacie 100GB hard drive, so I figure I could just 'image' my hard drive?

(I'm low on cash so can't really afford to buy more software.)

Also, other than 'secure empty trash' is there any other (simple) way to overwrite all the 'blank' data? (nothing criminal - just personal - no big deal if the engineers see it, but I'd rather they didn't... plus I doubt they acutally care anyway)

Use the firewire drive and carbon copy cloner. CCC is free and if you image your drive to the firewire drive you will have a complete bootable backup. That means when you get the new computer you can either use migration assistant to get all of your data from the backup or just duplicate the image on the external back to the computer and your system will be exactly the same as it was before. I think disk utility allows for a secure format, but there is no need. The apple people don't have the time or inclination to try to get old data off of a formated drive.

Use the firewire drive and carbon copy cloner. CCC is free and if you image your drive to the firewire drive you will have a complete bootable backup. That means when you get the new computer you can either use migration assistant to get all of your data from the backup or just duplicate the image on the external back to the computer and your system will be exactly the same as it was before. I think disk utility allows for a secure format, but there is no need. The apple people don't have the time or inclination to try to get old data off of a formated drive.

Thanks

I'll do that.

I have the little screw driver (size 0 phillips) taking the 'crucial' (brand name) ram out is easy as pie

I don't have a second mac. I'll get CCC.

The worst outcome will be if they just give it a new paint job (i.e. respray it silver).

Thanks

I'll do that.

I have the little screw driver (size 0 phillips) taking the 'crucial' (brand name) ram out is easy as pie

I don't have a second mac. I'll get CCC.

The worst outcome will be if they just give it a new paint job (i.e. respray it silver).

They won't do that. What they could do is replace the pieces that cover the outside. However I doubt that too since you have other issue with the system.

i like PRESIDENT George W. Bush, why would you even think about putting that in here anyway. I dont see what the President has to do with a faulty MBP. Go join a conspiracy forum if you want to talk politics. and the reason that they are pricks to you is because you probably have the same attitude that you do in the forum. Being just a little nice goes a long way. If you go in there acting like that then i wouldnt try any harder to help you either.

the being nice thing was towards oyah, but you could be a little nicer too harry

Your point is fair – despite the unnecessary profane insult which you should be ashamed of - and I won't make such political jokes here again. (It was a joke – albeit with a critical edge - though clearly it was not to everyone's taste.) So, my apologies to all such sensitive souls and let's say no more on the matter but let this thread take its proper course.

and the reason that they are pricks to you is because you probably have the same attitude that you do in the forum. Being just a little nice goes a long way. If you go in there acting like that then i wouldnt try any harder to help you either.

Nope, I was plenty nice to Apple when my MBP started acting up. I fully expected that they would help me, just as they always have done. In fact at first they did. I got a very nice tech support guy (over the phone) who told me that Apple was aware of the problem and asked that I wait for a month or so while Apple tried to figure out the solution. I agreed to do that and the tech guy even sent me a free copy of iWork 2.0 as a sort of apology. That was great!

When I called back about five weeks later (after reading reports on the Apple support site of people getting motherboard replacements to fix the problem), the tone completely changed. The tech guy I got this time was unfortunately not the same as last time. (The first guy actually gave me his number but I wasn't able to get through so I tried someone new.) This new guy was really unpleasant and basically told me (1) the reports on the Apple support site of replacement motherboards were just lies; (2) the problems I was complaining of (noise and heat) were non-issues and I should just live with them.

Not sure what you mean by "acting like that". I don't think you really know how I acted iPodGod.

Oops... I misunderstood ipodgod03's reference to oyah2's description of certain Apple Support Staff - so the former need not be ashamed of his/her profanity as it was "clearly" a quotation. I expect George W Bush would have understood the poor grammar and punctuation. Oops again… another "political" joke. Sorry! Anyway, let's stop this bickering and hope HenryL is the next and last to post with some good news about his poorly portable.

yup, the important part is that he gets a new computer. we are bickering and getting nothing done... Kind of like parliament

Update: Saturday was a very interesting day

edit: I think it would be unwise for me to post anything here yet (public forum)

Especially as Apple know who I am.... will try to PM Adam & Mods

Edited by HenryL

So everyone knows, Carbon Copy Cloner is "donationware", so while it is technically "free" if you like it and use it it would be nice if you sent the developer a couple bucks. That way we can make sure he is encouraged to keep developing great apps.

you can post it here, it really doesnt matter... they arent out to get you or anything. its apple, not the mafia

Dude, I know. I just want them to think I'm totally clueless.

On Saturday, they initally said categorically that I would have to wait a few days for an appointment with a Mac Genius - two managers told me that

Then I said that their Press Office would be dealing with this on Monday if I wasn't given an immediate resolution. I said that I appreciated they were busy but given the severity of the problem I wasn't prepared to wait - either they fix it NOW or I take it away with me and take further action myself.

Given the specialist nature of this forum, it's possible that a Mac Genius/Apple employee may see this thread/recognise the pictures etc. etc.

This is the situation: the Mac Geniuses are experts & so are many of the people on here.

The difference is that Apple employees are influenced by company policy - they may not be completely honest/open with me.

It sounds like Apple need to get their act together here as no-one should need to wait several days. This... http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/your_rights/goods.shtml ...may be of interest - especially the first Q & A. Don't be afraid to take the matter further.