HenryL

My MacBook Pro has overheated/gone black (from silver) I'm a bit freaked out

Do those laws apply to the US, or are those British laws? Would those apply to a British store, US citizen, etc?

That would be under UK law, hence the reference to "Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act". So it would only apply to a product bought in the UK, although it would cover citizens of other countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_Goods_Act_1979

Can you repost the images? I'm curious about what this paint looks like.

As far as Apple goes, they sold you a defective product so they should replace it. Don't worry, march on in there :).

Edit: Sorry about that, I was not aware it was spray coated paint. I may have been a bit harsh (I apologize) but it just seems a tad extreme.

Edited by mac user X

Is everyone here idiots? The MacBook Pro is ALUMINUM! ALUMINUM, which just so happens to melt at 661 Celsius, far above the maximum temperature you MacBook Pro can get. Also there is no paint on the MacBook Pro on the bottom. Are you just pulling our legs or trying to mess with us? BTW for a molten machine you can image the Hard Drive? I laugh at this thread's IQ.

As far as I'm aware the case is coated in anodized aluminum. Apparently this a very strong scratch resistant surface for the MacBook Pro, but you can't discount that production problems could result in the coating providing less than optimum protection and even flaking occurring.

Personally I'd suggest HenryL gets the machine checked out by Apple techs ASAP. If any scam is being done, I'm sure they'll spot it, they'll have evidence from past cases on record to check if anything was done to the case, outside of the usual wear and tear.

I really don't think there's a place for calling Forum members idiots, state your case without resorting to insults. When I'm wrong I'm happy to stand corrected, but not insulted. ;)

I concur with the sentiment about avoiding insults and profanities. (See the "fun" that was had earlier in this thread in that respect.) By the way... the correct form of words is "Is everyone here an idiot?". It's also "Aluminium" - at least here and in Wikipedia - though, as I said before, let's not bicker chaps.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I got a great result on Saturday from Apple - I was happy in the end.

I've sent Adam the full story and photos. At first they said I'd have to wait, but then they agreed to look at it on the spot. (After I spoke to a Manager)

Sorry for those of you who never saw the photos - it was just certain parts of the case that were black (with very distinct patterns).

There was no apparently no internal damage. (They took photos of it & showed me)

I was told that one of the fans (that conincided with the area that went black) wasn't 'performing to full efficiency' and needed to be replaced.

I was then told that the part wouldn't be in & I'd have to wait.

I insisted on taking the laptop home (as I needed if for uni) so I said I'd be prepared to hang on to it until the required part came in. (he wasn't prepared to admit the fan had failed... so I was like 'Okay then... that means I can still use it...')

Then I waited and waited and they returned a cleaned up laptop.

Then I thought I'd install 10.4.8 (using the instore wireless). I was playing about, I realised that the iCam wasn't working - not in PhotoBooth. Took it to another Genius (jumped the que as most of the staff at the genius bar were aware of my problem)

The Genius loaded up iMovie & did some other stuff and said that the iCam must have been 'disconnected' (or words to that effect). He then disappeared with my laptop for 30-45mins. When he came back it was working perfectly. He then put 10.4.8 for me (using a USB hard disk) . To be fair he was incredibly helpful - such a nice bloke.

The techs spent a long time working on it. The laptop I took home runs cool

Also, they would have been covered by the sale of good act if they made we wait until Monday (i took it in on the weekend). Nothing in their warranty says they have to fix it on the spot.

(but in comparison - I bought a Miele vacuum cleaner from John Lewis (UK department store) for £200. Two weeks later there was a defect with it. They replaced it on the spot with a brand new one - they have oustanding customer service. Infact I'm sure that if I'd bought my MacBook Pro from them they would have replaced it.. but then I'd never have gotten the 8% student discount)

(And it was explained to me that on a production line it is inevitable that 1 in every 100000 or so will have problems. Also the staff said I bought a Rev 1.0 version of a product. And they also stressed I had never ever seen that problem before)

(and having spent so much time at the Genius bar I can sort of empathise with Apple employees - they spend all day dealing with whinging customers with iPod problems. Unfortuantely some are just plain rude to customers - one said 'If you wanted to see a doctor you wouldn't expect an appointment straight away'... and the girl said 'that's a shocking analogy. I live outside London & made a special effort to come here'.

Mods - maybe you could lock this thread (for now atleast)

I'm pleased to hear it. As for John Lewis stores... the best in the world. If only there were more.

I wouldn't be so sure about John Lewis replacing your MBP there and then if you had bought it from them. i work for the company in their audio & tv/computing aftersales dept. As the machine is 4 months old the normal procedure would be for it to be sent to an apple certified repair agent for inspection and repair. this process can take up to about 4 weeks.

Your vacuum cleaner was replaced as it was only 2 weeks old and the company will replace any faulty product within 28 days of purchase. although JL doesn't participate in the apple educational discount scheme, it does offer a 2 year free warranty with all its computers and 5 years with all tvs, which goes some way to making up for the 8% saving.

i'm glad you got everything sorted though.