Dante

Firefox 2.0 is a Nightmare

If you have not yet upgraded to Firefox 2.0 -- DON'T!

I used it all day yesterday and had to force-quit about 12 times. My Google toolbar did not work and there were too many problems to mention.

I decided to try to revert back to the previous version (1.5.0.7).

There was no way to find it listed on Mozilla's Website but I changed the URL and I was able to download it.

Here is the URL:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/down...〈=en-US

I installed it over the 2.0 version and it worked fine.

Regards,

Dante

Weird, Ive been using Firefox 2 since the RC of Beta 2 and its been excellent (Beta 1 was utter crap though).

Its much more stable and a whole heck of alot faster than 1.5.

The only problems I have is that flash tends to be alittle flaky (usually doesnt display right unless its on the top).

But its still faster more stable then Safari for me.

I've tried Firefox a few times at the 1.5 versions. It's fine, but it didn't have anything that made want to stick with it; so I kept it on my drive but primarily used Safari.

I installed 2.0 last week and decided I give it a week as my primary browser. I like it. I liked the extensions (which I know are not a new thing) and a few of the other features that are missing from Safari.

What I found, however, is that 2.0 loads significantly slower than Safari and even with the optimizer extension to make pages load faster, it still loads pages slower than Safari, at least on my machine. On top of that, it hogged a slew of memory even when it wasn't active. When it was active, the rest of my system slowed way, way down, much more so than with Safari.

Overall, I like Firefox. It's a good browser, and the extensions are really nice additions; but I went back to Safari this morning for speed and better resource management.

-Rob

Overall, I like Firefox. It's a good browser, and the extensions are really nice additions; but I went back to Safari this morning for speed and better resource management.

-Rob

I started out with the original Netscape beta and started using Firefox when it became available. When I switched to the Mac about 7 months ago I immediately installed Firefox. I imported everything from the PC like my memorized logins and passwords along with my bookmarks.

I know when I have buggy software and this was about as buggy as it gets. I use the Google toolbar all the time but it did not work at all in 2.0. Neither could I do simple things that I do everyday in Firefox. There was also a strange small grey box that would appear just under the cursor every time I moused over text.

I was working within a site for hours when it started to constantly appeared that it was down hard while other sites in other tabs were fine. Then I tried the site in Safari and it was as responsive as could be. Then I tried it again in Firefox with no response.

I mentioned it to a friend and he pointed out all the really bad press it has received in many different publications. If I was aware of that I would have waited until they fixed it. I felt like I was running Alpha software let alone an actual release.

If it weren't for some really great extensions and the tabbed browsing in Firefox I would spend more time using Safari. For now, I am perfectly fine with going back to 1.5.0.7.

dante

I haven't had any problems (OS X 10.3.9) with FireFox 2.0. It has far less crashes than earlier versions.

What troubles me is that you have to disable third party cookies through About:config -> network.cookie.cookieBehavior, and setting its value to 1 (value 2 is cookies disabled, and [default] value 0 is enabling all cookies), if you don't want make it too easy for advertisers track your Internet behavior.

I also wished that they had implemented http-only cookies, like IE 6 and 7 have (see here), so malicious JavaScript code accidentally loaded into your computer cannot access cookies from secure sites.

If it weren't for some really great extensions and the tabbed browsing in Firefox I would spend more time using Safari. For now, I am perfectly fine with going back to 1.5.0.7.

Of course, Safari doesn't have the extensions, but it does do tabbed browsing. I do like the fact that Firefox 2.0 will open all of the tabs that were open when the application was closed. That's pretty cool, having multiple homepages open at once.

-Rob

What troubles me is that you have to disable third party cookies through About:config -> network.cookie.cookieBehavior, and setting its value to 1 (value 2 is cookies disabled, and [default]value 0 is enabling all cookies), if you don't want make it too easy for advertisers track your Internet behavior.

I have just switched to Firefox 2 after switching a few versions back from Firefox to Camino. It has been behaving well with a couple of extension hic-ups. I too was concerned about the 3rd party cookie issue but when I went to About:config -> network.cookie.cookieBehavior I found that it was already set to 1?... Somehow I must have changed it in the pref but don't recall when or how?...

I like saving the tabs from previous browsing session feature and having RSS subscriptions in the google toolbar.

I had a lot of issues too, mainly with it ERASING my bookmarks, not downloading anything and randomly quitting on me. I started using Flock after that and it began doing the same thing. now it's all broken and nothing based on Mozilla code will even run halfway decent on here...i'm using Opera 9 now...works beautifully..

I installed it and used it all the time, there is no quit problem or what I can say... just feww... maybe I caught it once or twice for the long time using... but I did suffer w/ the performance, it's just slow, slow on windows, slow on mac.... :(

I downloaded Firefox 2.0 when it became available for public release... has worked great. Found it a bit sluggish at times... and switched back to Camino. In a couple of days, when the Firefox extensions were upgraded... it sped up again and works great.

Would recommend upgrading to version 2.0

Cheerio

I downloaded Firefox 2.0 when it became available for public release... has worked great. Found it a bit sluggish at times... and switched back to Camino. In a couple of days, when the Firefox extensions were upgraded... it sped up again and works great.

Cheerio

I've been using Firefox 2 with my Mac for a while and I love it.... I hate Safari, so Firefox is really my only option.

I've had a few hiccups, but this is the way software releases work these days it seems. Push it out, fix it later with a point release.

Nothing terrible though. Biggest problem has been waiting for Tab Mix Plus to get ported over.

I hate Safari, so Firefox is really my only option.

Dare I ask? Except for the extensions and a few under-the-hood differences, I don't see that much of a difference.

What is it about Safari that you don't like? How do other browsers, esp. Firefox, address those issues?

-Rob

Safari's my primary browser, but I also normally keep Firefox open, because a TV Listing site I use doesn't work quite right in Safari.

I never tried any of the beta versions of Firefox and delayed downloading 2.0 for a few days to make sure there were no big problems.

Not had any problems, overall I can't say I've noticed any major differences from the previous version.

I do find it puzzling that some extensions didn't work. The Firefox beta was out for ages, I would have expected the 3rd party developers to have resolved compatibility issues well before the final release date.

I have had no problems with Safari either. I started using version 2.0 when it was Beta 1. It works great on the Mac and Winders.

I don't think all the extensions out there are being actively developed anymore.

Tab Mix Plus was a bit of an annoying wait though. It allows you to make so many little tweaks that using Firefox without it at this point is really annoying. I can see why it took them so long though, since it probably hooks in really deep and 2.0 stepped on several of its functions.

Cheerio

You could use Camino. It is based on firefox code but it integrates with your mac more like safari.

You could use Camino. It is based on firefox code but it integrates with your mac more like safari.

Yes, I started to do some reading about Camino recently. I was trying to get a handle on what people thought of it.

What I just found interesting is that I installed version 1.5.0.7 over 2.0 and about a week later it did an automatic update to version 1.5.0.8. It looks like they are still maintaining both builds (for a little while, anyway).

Dante

Yes, I started to do some reading about Camino recently. I was trying to get a handle on what people thought of it.

What I just found interesting is that I installed version 1.5.0.7 over 2.0 and about a week later it did an automatic update to version 1.5.0.8. It looks like they are still maintaining both builds (for a little while, anyway).

Dante

Are you talking about camino or firefox? I assume firefox right?

I just upgraded to Firefox 2.0 and I'm having an issue that nobody else on the Mac appears to be having (alas I can't figure out how to fix it). Everything worked fine except my bookmarks toolbar (which is a big part of my browsing experience) was not there. Even though it was checked under the View > Toolbars menu. I've reinstalled 2.0. And I've tried unchecking all toolbars under the View menu and then re-checking them. Nothing works. All of my bookmarks are still intact, but no Bookmarks Toolbar.

I just upgraded to Firefox 2.0 and I'm having an issue that nobody else on the Mac appears to be having (alas I can't figure out how to fix it). Everything worked fine except my bookmarks toolbar (which is a big part of my browsing experience) was not there. Even though it was checked under the View > Toolbars menu. I've reinstalled 2.0. And I've tried unchecking all toolbars under the View menu and then re-checking them. Nothing works. All of my bookmarks are still intact, but no Bookmarks Toolbar.

Maybe you could try changing the firefox theme to something else and see if it reappears....it's a long shot, though.

I was having reliability issues with Firefox 2, and I recently updated and was still having problems. I am back using Safari now.

I'm a big Safari fan but am using Firefox for everything but RSS and the forums right now due to a small project I have going (see my blog). All seems well with the latest public stable build from the home-page.

Wow...that sucks. I've been using Firefox 2 since RC1 and it has been incredibly stable...even on a windows machine. I love it.