feffer

My podcast list is too long

My podcast list is too long. How can I delete files from the podcast section of iTunes but keep them in the Library? I've checked the Apple forums and it looks like other people have this problem as well, but I didn't see any easy solution. It seems like iTunes either wants to keep podcasts in that section or delete them completely. It has been suggested that iTunes tags Podcasts as such when they are downloaded and that I'd need an ID3 tag editor other than iTunes, to change this. Anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks,

feffer

Couldn't you just click the triangle on each podcast, reducing each entire podcast to the size of one episode? Or do you have REALLY a lot?

Couldn't you just click the triangle on each podcast, reducing each entire podcast to the size of one episode? Or do you have REALLY a lot?

I've been doing that for a while, but my list is getting long and I'd like to find a better way around this. Some have suggested going to the podcast source web page and downloading the ones I want to keep permanently. That does work, but requires a second download. I'm thinking there must be something I can do in command line or with an additional app to get rid of iTunes tag or whatever it is that creates this behavior.

Any ideas?

It has been suggested that iTunes tags Podcasts as such when they are downloaded and that I'd need an ID3 tag editor other than iTunes, to change this. Anyone have any insights on this?

Yeah, that was my understanding of how Apple handle the files. Last time I looked (a few months ago), there didn't seem to be anything that allowed the flag to be edited, it's not a standard tag, so tag editors don't show it.

Your best bet may be to delete the additional entries and select the option "Keep Files" when you see the message box "Do you want to move the selected podcasts to the Trash, or keep them in the iTunes Music folder? You could then just manage the files in the folder Music/Podcasts/ using Finder.

Your best bet may be to delete the additional entries and select the option "Keep Files" when you see the message box "Do you want to move the selected podcasts to the Trash, or keep them in the iTunes Music folder? You could then just manage the files in the folder Music/Podcasts/ using Finder.

Doing that does keep the files on the hd, but unavailable to be synced to my iPod. A few days ago, I found a method that is supposed to do what I want:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-238521.html

Frankly, that's a bit convoluted. It's probably easier to just make a second download from the source site. I've tested that and know it works. I was hoping for a more efficient solution, but maybe there isn't one.

Thanks for the input, though.

Regards,

Feffer

When iTunes downloads a Podcast itself, it adds a few ID3v2 tags to the file it downloads before storing it in the library. I've found that by subverting the "TID" and "WFD" tags (I change them to XID and XFD with HexEdit), the mp3 file can then be re-imported to iTunes without picking up the "podcast" status. (An ID3 editior that isn't picky about what tags it edits should be able to do the same.)

HexEdit view of ID3v2 tags in an MP3 podcast downloaded with Safari:

mp3_id3_podcast_direct.png

Same podcast downloaded by iTunes. Note bunch of additional ID3v2 tags added by iTunes itself.

mp3_id3_itunes_dl.png

After changing a TID to XID and WFD to "XFD". This loads as an ordinary Music track.

mp3_id3_itunes_podcast_munged.png

Note I've deduced this experimentally by comparing files and trying different combos, not from any authoritative documentation. I make no claim this is "best" or anything. The original podcast track and be deleted from the library (keeping the file) or the file simply duplicated; either way, it needs to be re-added tot he iTunes library to become an ordinary Music track. Works for me.

There is a "podcast" attribute in iTunes's Applescript library, but it's read-only, dang it.

Edited by car1son

My podcast list is too long. How can I delete files from the podcast section of iTunes but keep them in the Library? I've checked the Apple forums and it looks like other people have this problem as well, but I didn't see any easy solution. It seems like iTunes either wants to keep podcasts in that section or delete them completely. It has been suggested that iTunes tags Podcasts as such when they are downloaded and that I'd need an ID3 tag editor other than iTunes, to change this. Anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks,

feffer

I see a bunch of complicated answers to this but it seems simple to me, maybe I am confused about something. Click on the episode and press delete. Itunes will ask if you want to move it to the trash, just say no. Then it will not be displayed but the file will still be in the itunes directory on your computer. Did I miss something?

I see a bunch of complicated answers to this but it seems simple to me, maybe I am confused about something. Click on the episode and press delete. Itunes will ask if you want to move it to the trash, just say no. Then it will not be displayed but the file will still be in the itunes directory on your computer. Did I miss something?

Yeah. If iTunes did the original download of the Podcast, the file itself is tagged "podcast". (iTunes actually inserts addiitonal ID3v2 tags into the downloaded file.) When you re-import the (unmodified) file, it will go back in as a podcast again. (iTunes 7.)

Removing the two ID3v2 tags I mentioned (WFD and TID, whatever they are) removes the iTunes-inserted "podcast" identification.

Edited by car1son

Cheers for that solution car1son, quite ingenious.

I've been trying to figure out a way of putting podcasts that were downloaded outside of iTunes into the Podcast section for a while now.

I've been trying to figure out a way of putting podcasts that were downloaded outside of iTunes into the Podcast section for a while now.

That's the opposite of what the original poster asked for (he wanted to get iTunes-downloaded podcasts into his Music library), but I suspect if you add the two ID3v2 tags WFD and TID, then you'll get the file to look like a podcast to iTunes. (It's not impossible one of those other added tags may also be required, however.)

Removing (actually, modifying) existing tags is easy. A simple shell script can batch-change "WFD\0" to "XFW\0" and "TID\0" to "XID\0" in a bunch of files (assuming the optional CRC hasn't been used). Adding new ID3v2 tags to an MP3 is a bit more ellaborate.

It seems to me there should be some ID3 editor utilities out there that can do this more simply than HexEdit, emacs, vi or ed. I haven't tried to look for one because they all appear to be pay$ware, and I'm not that curious.

By the way, one experiment I tried was a file with the TID but no WFD tag. That creates an interesing and undesirable situation: That track is considered a "podcast" by iTunes in that it doesn't appear in the "Music" library and it does show up in a Smart Playlist based on "Podcast" "is" "true". But, it's not associated with any specific podcast (since the WFD tag contains the URL of the RSS feed) so it doesn't show up in the purple "Podcasts" library. I.e., it's in iTunes someplace, but not visible in any of the standard libraries (only visible via a Smart Playlist or Applescript.). I haven't figured out how to delete it yet!

That's the opposite of what the original poster asked for (he wanted to get iTunes-downloaded podcasts into his Music library), but I suspect if you add the two ID3v2 tags WFD and TID, then you'll get the file to look like a podcast to iTunes. (It's not impossible one of those other added tags may also be required, however.)

Removing (actually, modifying) existing tags is easy. A simple shell script can batch-change "WFD\0" to "XFW\0" and "TID\0" to "XID\0" in a bunch of files (assuming the optional CRC hasn't been used). Adding new ID3v2 tags to an MP3 is a bit more ellaborate.

It seems to me there should be some ID3 editor utilities out there that can do this more simply than HexEdit, emacs, vi or ed. I haven't tried to look for one because they all appear to be pay$ware, and I'm not that curious.

By the way, one experiment I tried was a file with the TID but no WFD tag. That creates an interesing and undesirable situation: That track is considered a "podcast" by iTunes in that it doesn't appear in the "Music" library and it does show up in a Smart Playlist based on "Podcast" "is" "true". But, it's not associated with any specific podcast (since the WFD tag contains the URL of the RSS feed) so it doesn't show up in the purple "Podcasts" library. I.e., it's in iTunes someplace, but not visible in any of the standard libraries (only visible via a Smart Playlist or Applescript.). I haven't figured out how to delete it yet!

Now I get what you guys were trying to do. Winamp allows you to edit the ID3v2 tags do thay have a mac version?

Winamp allows you to edit the ID3v2 tags do thay have a mac version?

There are several ID3 tag utilities listed on MacUpdate. The only one I looked as (MP3X) wasn't up to the task. The problem is, it only wants to edit tags it "knows" about. This makes sense as an "ease of use" feature (let the user edit Title, Album, and Artist instead of rather unfriendly TIT2,TALB and TOPE tags. Since Apple assigned these extra (TID and WFD) tags on its own, MP3X doesn't know about it so it doesn't allow you to edit unknown tags.

You can do a ID3 trick in iTunes itself.... Select the podcast track, choose "Convert ID3 Tags" from the Advanced menu and change the tags to ID3v1 (the v1 ID3 spec doesn't have any provision for tags beyond a few standard ones, so the "Podcastiness" of the file gets lost). Then Reveal in Finder, Delete from iTunes (keep file), and double-click or drag the file to put it back in iTunes as a Music track. You keep title, artist, album, genre (if the genre was supported in ID3v1) and a truncated comment. Other tags get lost (including Apple's podcast info tags.) You could even convert it back to ID3v2.3 and stick lyrics, album art, and other such tags back if desired. The MP3 itself shouldn't suffer (it's not a re-encoding.)

That could be used by the original poster, but is no help to Ginamos, who wanted to add the Podcast tags to his files to make them into Podcasts.

Some apps, (NetNewsWire, which I use, and iPodderX, which I used to use) have the ability to automatically move downloaded files into iTunes. I suppose they may have the ability to slap in Apple's podcast tags (I'm using an old NetNewsWire release taht doesn't, but it's an old version. Since they decided to require a NewsGator account starting with v2.1. I paid for v2.0, I decided to stop upgrading.)

Edited by car1son

i've found a way to put different files into the podcast list (with some difficulty)

first you need to have at least one file in the podcast list already.

go into your itunes music folder and find another of the same podcast, then copy that file and paste it in the same folder, then add it to itunes.

this should make it be in the itunes database as a podcast.

then you delete the file that you copied

go back into itunes and try to play the copied file that you deleted. it should pop up a message that it's gone and tells you to find the file. go and browse to the podcast file that you downloaded outside of itunes and select that.

This works except you will have obsolete show notes or podcast information which is included in the rss feed

That's not totally working for me. Is there something different I need to do? I'm doing it EXACTLY, letter for letter, like you're doing it. I may have to wait for awhile before I can do anything.

BJ

it works for me

what you have to do is copy a podcasts and insert that copy into itunes, then replace the copied file with a file you want to put there.

My podcast list is too long. How can I delete files from the podcast section of iTunes but keep them in the Library?

Responding to the original post: I would do this simply by converting the podcast to MP3 ("Convert Selection ..." on the Advanced Menu, or on the Contextual Menu when Right- or Control-clicking--I have my importing preference set to the MP3 encoder). The converted MP3 file automatically goes into the Music folder, where you can keep it as long as you want. Then you can delete the original podcast from the Podcast folder to shorten your list (choose "Move to Trash" to get it completely off your HD).

If you really have a lot of podcasts you want to convert and save, just select them all at once with a command-click before giving the convert command and let it do it's thing over lunch or overnight or whatever. After that, if you're just doing one or two at a time, it usually doesn't take long to convert.

If your importing pref (Preferences>Advanced>Importing) is set to AAC encoder or something else, the convert command on the menu will say that instead of MP3. Don't know why this method wouldn't work with another encoder, but I've only tried it with MP3.